Another score for the day..Early Winter Classic Goretex Bivy

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Another score for the day..Early Winter Classic Goretex Bivy

Postby realityguy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Well Zelph and Oops..I took the money and reinvested it in a classic find..an Early Winters Goretex Bivy! :o ....which could quite possibly be the first of its kind since EW was the first to put it into tents!

I knew they made a tiny one man tent called the "Pocket Hotel" I think in the same colors but slightly larger;thought I'd found one of those;but no poles.Anyway..it is branded Early Winters(green label) and has the GORETEX label on it also..The top is Gortex and the bottom is what looks like a urethane coated ripsop nylon.Unfortunately the bottom has peeled behind the head portion and will need to be recoated with something.It'll be an addition to my Early Winters collection of old tents.Weight in the stuff sack is 1lb 2oz.I'll see if I can find out more about it. :DB: :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Re: Another score for the day..Early Winter Classic Goretex Bivy

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:40 pm

I bid on an EW goretex bivy last year, thinking few people might consider buying it. I was wrong :o i think it went around $50. Too high for this nickle and dimer ! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:56 pm

I thought it was a Pocket Hotel so I didn't want to make too big a fuss about it at the store where I was buying it because at the time it wasn't priced(got it for a song!)I went back where I had gotten the bags..maybe hoping for more(but different) bags. Anyway,picked that up and also a Yakima rack system piece(snowboard/ski carrier) that I can get a quick $35-40 for on craigs..made it worth the trip.
I contacted the person that knows about vintage EW stuff..waiting back for an email.
Recently someone did have one of the Pocket Hotels on ebay,a slightly larger one man tent..but the auction disappeared..for some reason due to ebay,not the seller by the looks of it.I don't know what that is about.?????I was going to follow it and see what it went for.

Actually $50 for any bivy is cheap on ebay...I've watched the one and two man tents catagory religiously (nightly)over the last 4-5 months looking for a deal so I have a good idea of values on the things.I only quit doing it recently because I have enough here.I did buy two off ebay but resold them (at even money with shipping and 40% profit on the second sold locally) because the ones I've picked up will suit my needs.
To me, a bivy would be like sleeping in a body bag..no thanks...This would be interesting if it was modified with poles around the headpiece and netting.It is big enough but no holes for the poles..easily remedied... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:13 pm

I just knew you'd come up with a terrific find of some kind. And a great one it was :DB:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:43 pm

If I was going to use the thing..I'd probably just take off the bottom half and sew on a new waterproof one;might do that yet.It's the equivalent of a bathtub floor of a tent with all the fancy stitchwork on the TOP half with the gore-tex(mesh,zippers,and accessories)..probably just be a few hours to fix it(turn it inside out and resew the perimeter ).I might do it yet but it would be nice to reuse the same coated white ripstop(square pattern) as the original.The rest is in very good condition.The stuff sack doesn't hardly show wear either but it does kinda smell like a tent.
The zippers are odd in that they are one sided zippers(handle inside?) rather than handles that roll all the way in and out..strange..Maybe they didn't have two sided zippers back then?
If bears ate bananas..this would be perfect! :lol: :lol:

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:55 pm

realityguy wrote:If I was going to use the thing..I'd probably just take off the bottom half and sew on a new waterproof one;might do that yet.It's the equivalent of a bathtub floor of a tent with all the fancy stitchwork on the TOP half with the gore-tex(mesh,zippers,and accessories)..probably just be a few hours to fix it(turn it inside out and resew the perimeter ).I might do it yet but it would be nice to reuse the same coated white ripstop(square pattern) as the original.The rest is in very good condition.The stuff sack doesn't hardly show wear either but it does kinda smell like a tent.
The zippers are odd in that they are one sided zippers(handle inside?) rather than handles that roll all the way in and out..strange..Maybe they didn't have two sided zippers back then?
If bears ate bananas..this would be perfect! :lol: :lol:

I love my mrs stuff sack but when i put my hand in there is no rabbit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:11 pm

I love my mrs stuff sack but when i put my hand in there is no rabbit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No rabbit?Your hand must be in the wrong pocket.. :mrgreen:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:40 pm

I pulled out 4 turtle doves :lol: Darn, I should have got 5 so I could have found 5 golden rings ! :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:49 am

Hmm..I must have sent you the wrong bags..you were supposed to get four calling birds..Oops was supposed to get two turtle doves,you weren't.. :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:00 pm

Looks too confining(body bag)

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”