Scores of the day!

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Scores of the day!

Postby realityguy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:01 pm

Interesting group of junk...Shefield england hiking silverware set,different aluminum fork;5-3/8 ounce frying pan(Zelph..blue enamel exterior,one bolt holds the handle on,probably just mount a hinge there..should stay under 6 ounces,about 7-8");protracot straight line maker..need something for marking jets..50 cents;woodlife firestarter(wax sawdust);double jigger;teaball;two sets of LED flash lights for bicycles(Figure something out to dump the red lenses and use clear ones..take 2-AAA);St.Croix headache band;Stainless double wall pot with lid and stand(stove?)cost a buck!;fork for the garden or woods;about 8' new extension cord ;stove top espresso maker(camp in style!);and the pick of the litter a pair of Danner hiking boots in my size..probably worn once by the looks of it,a $5 SCORE!I got other good noncamping stuff also..
I didn't go yesterday so had to make up for it today! :DB: :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Re: Scores of the day!

Postby realityguy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:33 pm

can you spell "protractor" GEEES! :lol:

Here's the boots:http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Danner%C2%AE-Radical-GORE-TEX%C2%AE-Boots/dp/B0002L4MS8
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:40 am

it looks like you did well!
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:57 am

I've been searching for some good summer boots but all the goods seemed so expensive.These are like new and are the darker color which is a plus.It looks like someone might have taken a short hike and decided they didn't like them..no wear to the soles and insides/outsides like new..fit like a glove also.
The rest is interesting..and was dirt cheap..Everything in the picture plus a really unique modernistic stainless teapot for the woodstove ran about $23.No down stuff :cry: ..I looked in 4 stores today for that.I didn't shop yesterday so I guess the stores got stocked back up without me being there.. :lol:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:34 am

realityguy wrote:Image

Interesting group of junk...Shefield england hiking silverware set,different aluminum fork;5-3/8 ounce frying pan(Zelph..blue enamel exterior,one bolt holds the handle on,probably just mount a hinge there..should stay under 6 ounces,about 7-8");protracot straight line maker..need something for marking jets..50 cents;woodlife firestarter(wax sawdust);double jigger;teaball;two sets of LED flash lights for bicycles(Figure something out to dump the red lenses and use clear ones..take 2-AAA);St.Croix headache band;Stainless double wall pot with lid and stand(stove?)cost a buck!;fork for the garden or woods;about 8' new extension cord ;stove top espresso maker(camp in style!);and the pick of the litter a pair of Danner hiking boots in my size..probably worn once by the looks of it,a $5 SCORE!I got other good noncamping stuff also..

Wow, I think i just found my long lost twin out west. :lol: Do you have any storage space left? :P I use to hit the Goodwill around the corner from where I work daily but I have reached capacity and they are closing that location at the end of the month. The best thrift stores are a little driving distance so I use the price of gas as a detourent and to justify not adding to the nooks and crannys of my garage :lol: I talked momma into a 12 x 28 outbuilding to help relieve the pressure in the garage but now it is full also. :oops: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
realityguy wrote:Image

Wow, I think i just found my long lost twin out west. :lol: Do you have any storage space left? :P I use to hit the Goodwill around the corner from where I work daily but I have reached capacity and they are closing that location at the end of the month. The best thrift stores are a little driving distance so I use the price of gas as a detourent and to justify not adding to the nooks and crannys of my garage :lol: I talked momma into a 12 x 28 outbuilding to help relieve the pressure in the garage but now it is full also. :oops: :lol:

Whew!Thank god I'm not alone in this obsession! :lol:

Here's something you might appreciate while others look at it as a pile of junk.The only thing in this picture that was over a dollar was the long 1/16" thick aluminum tube that came with the clamp ring below..everything else was under a dollar,50 cents,a quarter..whatever.The drip coffe bowl in the back came with the screen that fits down the center.it fit that funny funnel like a glove which fits fine on top of a cup or a heine pot.
Sometimes it's not worth the time making a lot of these smaller parts when you can find them pretty much already made or for dirt cheap at thrift stores..and work around them.Think of these as just ideas of what to look for.These are items I've picked up in the last week or so that I thought were immaterial until they would be used for storage or stove parts..The salt and pepper sloped cones might be interesting..Hmm... or the burner heads of the little ones.Big salt and pepeprs weigh nothing,nice stove bases or storage pieces for fuel,matches,whatever..instead of salt and pepper of course :DB: Gotta run out for awhile..

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:43 am

realityguy wrote:[fuel,matches,whatever..instead of salt and pepper of course :DB: Gotta run out for awhile..

hahahahahah :lol: He started to get the sweats just reviewing all the goodies he had gotten and thoughts of previous hauls really made him start shaking and he had to run down to the nearest thrift store to ket a fix. I imagine he calmed down once within a city block of the store. :lol: :mrgreen:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:33 pm

I've got four thrift stores(Seattle area's better ones!) within about a mile of me..getting a fix is pretty easy around this neck of the woods,usually get one daily!... :lol:
I've been trying to hunt up ONE(JUST ONE!) of those wedding favor tins...Nope, around here you gotta buy a box of 25 everywhere for $20.Oh well,I found a candle box about the same size that had a "grapefruit spearmint" candle in it..YECH!Who in their right mind would buy that combination??? :o ..I heated the tin up with another stove and plopped the thing out in one piece so I wouldn't have to smell it burning..Some people just have no taste!..or sense of smell! :roll: One buck at the thrift store for the candle tin..close enough..

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:45 pm

Okay..I figure I better just continue the same thread. :DB: This isn't much..but I thought she was purdy!

Everything intact included the innards..might have been used only a couple times..to maybe boil water :lol: ..6-1/2oz..Probably from the 40s-50s by the art-deco spout.Bottom says COMET The Popular Aluminum!MADE IN USA..I'll put her to good use on the trail.it does have one cup/two cup markings.$2!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:37 am

realityguy wrote:Okay..I figure I better just continue the same thread. :DB: This isn't much..but I thought she was purdy!

Everything intact included the innards..might have been used only a couple times..to maybe boil water :lol: ..6-1/2oz..Probably from the 40s-50s by the art-deco spout.Bottom says COMET The Popular Aluminum!MADE IN USA..I'll put her to good use on the trail.it does have one cup/two cup markings.$2!

Nice find, realityguy, I have a few two cup perculators. Be careful of what stove you use though because the handle can get deformed it the flame pattern is too wide. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”