potholder clips?

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

potholder clips?

Postby realityguy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:54 pm

I found these interesting clips today..might work good for holding pots on stoves with a lip on the edge.I can probably clip them high enough on the outside to not interfere with a side burner..or clip them so the pot doesn't sit so high..if needed.
Weight is 8 grams(8 pennies,sorry no grams scale).Got 50 of them for $2..WooHoo!
I also picked up an aluminum bottle($2) and made the stove this afternoon..finally got some of my shop cleaned up and usable!Another Woohoo!Hey Zelph..16 holes .040(need more holes?)..rolled top edge..nothing in between the sides,aluminum conduit shoved(tight..but I can pull it out yet) into the bottom spout with 4 bandsaw cuts to allow alcohol out of the center.Any improvements needed?Holes on the inside?I figure you guys are the experts!It's been ahwile since I've made any and there has been a lot of improvements and testing..Thanks,all!
Stove weighs 19 pennies..or grams...

The stove is for heating my 5-1/2" coffee filter pot I showed you..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Re: potholder clips?

Postby realityguy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:14 pm

Okay..I do drywall and never have seen these before..here's what they are really for..
http://www.prest-on.com/?idAff=916&gcli ... agodDXiGmg
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

hoz

Postby hoz » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:36 am

those "clips" are usually sold to the DIY market for repairing drywall. They work pretty good for insetting patches too.

Kind of hard to find on a regular basis around here. Most often they are in a package with a few DW screws and some F/G tape.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:36 pm

Interesting clips!!!! Should work nice on wood burning stoves also.

Try you stove out with existing hole amount. I may work out well for you. If it goes out when a cold pot of water is placed on it then increase the amount of holes to add more heat to keep it going. Also wait a little longer before putting pot on.

What did you use to curl over the top edge of stove?

Nice photos in your album. Bleeding hearts along the trail awesome!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:51 pm

That stove..I used a vice to set the inner portion flush and then just kind of peened it over with a small hammer until it was recessed totally under the edge all the way around,no jb weld needed..worked okay..not exact but I'm not making a hundred of them! :lol: ...I drilled another row of holes on the inside to hopefully get it to possibly bloom faster.I still need to play with it,maybe enlarge the holes(.040).

Those small brackets..I cut three so it's just the "down the center" portion and bent them like a set of Peak 1 feet that will bolt through the middle of the bottom of a stove(outside can like a feather) and fold/stack together.I'm thinking of incorporating three panels that will unfold into a 3/4 or so windscreen /pot stand as you spread the feet around the stove..just a wild hair.

The pictures are just day hikes here around Seattle and on the Olympic Peninsula..The local isolated beaches up there I plan on doing this summer..3-15 to 20 mile stretches for starters.My place is right next to Olympic National Park and we get an annual pass so can come and go as we please without more fees.;other than back country ones,not entrance fees.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:18 pm

The installation instructions for the clips was very informative. Thanks!!!

I'm going to see if they have some at the local bigbox stores. I need to do a little drywalling this year. The clips sure do save alot of time and reduce hassle.

Yeh, the center portion of the brackets looks very usable for stoves. The ribs make for strength, good design :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:15 am

Weight of the three feet and a small bolt is 9 pennies(grams?)..not counting the stove.It's not for this one but I could make up a separate set that would work for most stoves.I plan on making up 3 windscreen panels/pot holder that bolt to the feet and cover at least 3/4 of the area needed WHEN OPEN..otherwise they fold together.I've got some .005 stainless I'm thinking of trying.If that is too light,I've got lots of aluminum sheeting of different weights..

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:08 pm

Sounds like it's gonna work. You got the right materials and a nice shop full of tools to work them with.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:14 pm

zelph wrote:Sounds like it's gonna work. You got the right materials and a nice shop full of tools to work them with.

You mean something like this?
URL=http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/realityguy/?action=view&current=featherclone24ozheine.jpg]Image[/URL]

Top and bottom just sitting together for a test burn...Still have to get in there,jb weld the top and bottom together,clean it up(sand,spit,and polish,finish a snuffer,windscreen,etc,etc..

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:16 pm

Let me try that again here--->

Hope it's clickable thiis time... :(

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”