down bags?

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
irrationalsolutions

down bags?

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:07 pm

i know it might be a bit much to ask but i'm taking a chance. since you all seem to have better thrift stores than me i'm looking for down sleeping bags. i want three. 30F or colder 2 mummy regular if possible but i need one long non-mummy bag for a project. like i said i know it may be asking a little much but i thought i would take the chance.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Ridgerunner

Re: down bags?

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:26 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:i know it might be a bit much to ask but i'm taking a chance. since you all seem to have better thrift stores than me i'm looking for down sleeping bags. i want three. 30F or colder 2 mummy regular if possible but i need one long non-mummy bag for a project. like i said i know it may be asking a little much but i thought i would take the chance.

Sorry IR, I have never come across any down bags at a thrift store and i've made 100's of visits. I did run across a couple old Gerry ones at a yard sale years back and finally broke down and bought a clearanced Marmot down bag at Dicks for a great deal a year ago. If you have a Dick's sporting goods store near you, now, might be the time to look before the new models come in. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:31 pm

We have some around here but if they are any good they go REALLY fast.A lot of what you get depends on what you want to spend for them.They are recognized right away for their quality and condition.You also will have to match up their size to their purpose as far as YOUR size(or whoever is using them) and possible temperature ratings.Some are before ratings but list the down/lb factor).
<p> The thrift stores are getting more knowledgable also due to ebay and checking their prices so they can list theirs for appropriate equal amounts.I've gotten a few but usually pay more than people think for them..but cheaper than they would be for retail.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:01 am

IR I have a couple on craigs now in seattle and another matched set(Eddie Bauer) I was going to add there...might be something of interest to you,maybe not.If you want to know what..email me and I'll send you craigs links or pics(of the matched set)...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:39 am

Don't give up IR,

I found a vintage down bag at the thrift store that fluffed up pretty nicely in the dryer. It was rolled up and wrapped in packing tape, I just gave it a feel to see what it was made of, not expecting anything. I snatched it up when I felt feathers inside. It's too small for me but fits my son well and has kept him warm down to freezing.

Did I mention that it was 6 dollars? :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:11 pm

Last fall I picked up two military mummy bags that were rated "extreme cold" I think that's what it was rated. I got them at an outoor flea market. Did I need then, No. Can't pass up a good deal. Somebody down the line might need one. I put them into storage in my camper and thought of using them in an early winter camper trip to "Rough" it :D

Let me think on it over night, I might let loose of one to a good home :D

I did let go of my FeatherFire that I thought was a keeper ;)
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:22 pm

zelph wrote:

Let me think on it over night, I might let loose of one to a good home :D

if you decide to let them both go i'd gladly trade for the second one.

Daren.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:04 am

if you want to let go of one you would be the man. i have looked for one around here but couldnt find one. something like this i have trouble buying off ebay or anywhere online. if it comes from someone i know or have talked to a lot i would be more appt to trust it, if that makes any sence.

thats something else that sux around here. the army surplus stores. like i said before we have two one is a pawn shop, they dont have much but they have good prices on what they have. the other is a well rip off. they are very over priced and are trying to get over on people. i was in the second one once and the owner was talking to me and i started asking for prices because nothing was marked. i thought everything was over priced and told him. he gave me a sob story about mark up and profit margin and how much he has to pay and what some magazine charges. when i called his bluff and started talking about the stuff and how its used and how much it really costs if you get it from the px he realized i knew what i was talking about and wouldnt help me anymore. since nothing was marked i left. i have only been back once and that was for a hank of para cord it was priced ok so i got it but i wont go back again. see i need to move.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:23 am

Zelph, be sure to tell IR the weight of the extreme cold bags and the size they pack down to. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:55 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Zelph, be sure to tell IR the weight of the extreme cold bags and the size they pack down to. ;)

I looked at the lable today and it says down and fiber fill. They are heavy, really heavy and almost in new condition. I'll hold off for awhile on letting them go. ;)
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”