Stainless canister set ,thermarest

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Image
realityguy
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:20 am
Location: slightly north of Seattle,WA

Stainless canister set ,thermarest

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:37 pm

Boy..I can see this is MY catagory since I shop about daily..you guys are gonna hate me! :lol: Yesterday's scores:
The thermarest is pretty much new was $7(I said somewhere else $5,brain fart...21x44)..and a complete set of stacking stainless canisters for 50 cents.I guess they didn't care to even wipe them down..just stacked them,taped the big one shut, stuck a cheap sticker on them, and twisted the hell out of my arm! They are going in the sink for scrubbing and cleaning right now.They don't weigh a whole lot(yeah..I know, heavier than a heinie)but the stacking gives me lots of options depending on how many I hike with and what I need them for.
1-1/2 cup,3cup,6cup,8cup..they nest and have room for cozies or windscreens in between...5,8,9,11 oz.Might come in handy!
Image
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15752
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Stainless canister set ,thermarest

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:22 pm

That's what I like to see, common sense in choosing gear.

Hiking your own hike is what it's all about. Thanks realityguy.

You have alot of shopping time on your hands or else it's a compulsive disorder :lol: :lol:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:20 am
Location: slightly north of Seattle,WA

Re: Stainless canister set ,thermarest

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:36 pm

It's defintely the DISORDER..LOL!..been that way for a lot of years(let's see,when did ebay start?..1999),mostly cameras but more recently into stockpiling camping gear for stocking my two houses with maybe a couple sets each...I've got a couple bins full of cookware..need to figure out what to keep and what to sell.
I've been listing stuff on craigs lately(no longer do fleabay),mostly larger two man tents,down sleeping bags,camppads,other stuff.My garage looks like oops shop but everything but stoves..and some of them.I'm tired of tripping over things.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15752
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Stainless canister set ,thermarest

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:17 pm

realityguy wrote:It's defintely the DISORDER..LOL!..been that way for a lot of years(let's see,when did ebay start?..1999),mostly cameras but more recently into stockpiling camping gear for stocking my two houses with maybe a couple sets each...I've got a couple bins full of cookware..need to figure out what to keep and what to sell.
I've been listing stuff on craigs lately(no longer do fleabay),mostly larger two man tents,down sleeping bags,camppads,other stuff.My garage looks like oops shop but everything but stoves..and some of them.I'm tired of tripping over things.


Craig's list, how long you been on there and do they link to paypal for payments just like ebay does?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Stainless canister set ,thermarest

Postby DarenN » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:27 pm

zelph wrote:
Craig's list, how long you been on there and do they link to paypal for payments just like ebay does?


craigslist can be good deals or garbage. you have to know your stuff. i've picked up a couple of stoves on the 'list for really cheap; but i've passed on some junk, too.
they don't offer payment options. it's like "classified adds" on the 'net instead of the newspaper. it costs nothing.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:20 am
Location: slightly north of Seattle,WA

Re: Stainless canister set ,thermarest

Postby realityguy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:16 pm

Years ago I used paypal and had problems with it as a seller(can you spell "ripped off"?)..I do craigslist but only take money orders/cash for payments.Some people won't send them but that's fine with me,I'll sell it to someone else instead.
Craigs works well if you live in or near a large city..otherwise "pick-ups" and that can be a problem.I do get people all across the country checking out my items because they can find "seattle" listings from elsewhere,because it is one of the major cities.You can search Tokyo or a lot of major cities through out the world,some people take paypal.Google picks up a lot of my listings in their search and they can be on top on the first page..depending on how rare the item is.
I think you can accept paypal payments for just about anything,even craigs items.
As I said,rural people have a problem with it andit may not be worth the hassle.There are a lot of scams but I've never shipped anything to nigeria yet..but get asked on just about any item over $100..I think that's the scammers cut-off point.
I do well with craigs..no fees, which helps.People email me through craigs keeping me anonymous.It's up to me if I want to answer emails.I usually end up talking to people on the phone and dealing one on one..and for more items they notice here.I can list multiple items in ONE ad..say a lot of camp gear,then makr them as SOLD individually in the ad and keep running it.
Adsrun for a week,then you have to relist them..no real problem other than cut-n-paste your old desriptions and rewriting your pictures to the decription.
Craigs sends you an email for posting your listing..or you can edit it at anytime through that "posting email,add.delete change pictures,etc..whatever.Once it's sold,you delete the listing with the same email.
Craigs problems:A lot of no-shows or "I want it" emails..then as far as another response or phone call.
Everyone that has come here for items has been super and a lot of repeat customers buying my items.HOWEVER,I do not list free items to eliminate a lot of riff-raff that assocites with that..or items that might bring a shady element around.It's up to you to answer people's emails if you want,meet with them whereever you want,or sell to them or not.You are totally anonymous until you respond.For me it has been pretty good..but Location,location,location!I'm in the middle of a large camping hiking,photography community so sales do okay for me.
One more thing..your items get stuck on the top of the list in your catagory..and proceed down the line as time goes by.MOST of my items are found days later by people that search for them by catagory and words..rather than being on top.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15752
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Stainless canister set ,thermarest

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:21 pm

realityguy wrote:Years ago I used paypal and had problems with it as a seller(can you spell "ripped off"?)..I do craigslist but only take money orders/cash for payments.Some people won't send them but that's fine with me,I'll sell it to someone else instead.
Craigs works well if you live in or near a large city..otherwise "pick-ups" and that can be a problem.I do get people all across the country checking out my items because they can find "seattle" listings from elsewhere,because it is one of the major cities.You can search Tokyo or a lot of major cities through out the world,some people take paypal.Google picks up a lot of my listings in their search and they can be on top on the first page..depending on how rare the item is.
.


That is a whole lot of usefull information in a nut shell. Thank you very much. I think I'll try posting a few items after doing a preliminary look see of the site. I've not been there before. Thanks, realityguy!!!!
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/


Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest