Luv them thrift stores!

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Luv them thrift stores!

Postby realityguy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:04 am

I see this might be a regular area for me..LOL!..Last week I picked up an interesting tent at St. Vinnies,an Early Winters Moonwing probably late 70s or early 80s(anybody else that old?).Two person,three season,Gore-tex one ;tunnel style,nonfreestanding,single pole up front and triangular at the foot,3.5lbs..Anybody ever hear of one?I can't seem to find any info anywhere about it.I'll see if I can figure out how to post a thumbnail..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Re: Luv them thrift stores!

Postby realityguy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:10 am

I'll try this:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:12 am

sounds like a good deal to me. and looks good too. i never seem to find deals like that. i find other stuff but since i've been looking for a tent i cant seem to find one.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:32 am

EarlyWinters....definitely vintage. What a great find and even better deal. Congrats on hitting the jackpot...lucky ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

hoz

Postby hoz » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:02 am

Ummmmm, my "tent jones" is jealous. I luvs sloping ridge designs.

What material and condition is the hoop pole? How much does the whole package weigh?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:03 pm

Good morning!Has the Early Winters Logo and instruction booklet even.I contacted a guy with a website for EW and he has never seen one before either.The pole is a flat black fiberglass(I think) without metal sleeves,just a male female connection made on the pole.Total weight packed is 3-1/2lbs,about 54 wide..88 long..38 wide at the door..and 28 at the foot.The height is about 40 at the hoop but the roof slopes quite a bit.I can sit up in it though.Gore-tex..nylon coated floor.That floor neds a couple small sections resealed around the door end tie-outs..Think I should just coat them with seam sealer..about 1" x2" maximum spot? There's venting under the blue area with an inner gore-tex blue flap with velcro.I'll get a picture of the back up.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:19 pm

The foot room in the bottom end concerns me..but I might add a longer strap and a longer pole in the vertical pole sleeve to stretch it up a bit higher,make a little more room there.

I know you guys seem to be stove people ..I just missed an SVEA 123 with the pot on top that was in the box..went for a buck..So there should be one from seattle on ebay now or it sold right away..it looked like new from what I saw of it.The backroom people defintely didn't know what it was.
This area is pretty hot right now for camp gear..everybody must be getting new gear and donating their old!

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:38 pm

Nice find, can't complain about the price. Give it 2 coats of sealer all the way around. 2 is better than one and 3 is..... ;)

I know you guys seem to be stove people ..I just missed an SVEA 123

Does it really show???? :lol: Making stoves is alot easier than packs tents and sleeping bags. Less expensive also if you become a gear enthusiest. We do have a tendancy to be stove oriented ;)

We like bargains. we buy alot of items we don't need right now but we will in the future. A lot of it we use to hide things under. :roll:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:53 pm

Zelph..you appear to be one of the more fanatical about them than most on here.. :D
<p>A few months ago I was playing around with alcohol stoves..appears they've come quite a long ways since when I was looking before.
I made a couple really small ones using the older Kodak aluminum film containers with an inner liner of 1/2" aluminum conduit.They worked out pretty handy for day hikes where you just want to add a small cooker to a fannypack or even in your pocket.I still have to experiment with the jets to get a wider flame spread.They work okay but don't seem to quite get a decent quantity of water to boil ..but close enough for making cocoa at your destination and minimal to carry,using about 1/2 ounce of DA and a little prime(Armour vienna sausage can with wire mesh up about 1-1/2" above the can).Somewhere,I've got burn pictures...
<p>Now the reason I posted...Good find today!Got a nice new looking Thermarest pad for $5..that about completes everything I've been looking for and I guess I can quit now!(Right..Fat chance of that ever happening..LOL!)

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:39 am

Right, fat chance :mrgreen: keep on lookin, lots of bargins out there.

Small diameter stoves are good for 1 cup servings. Too hard to manage/balance larger pots. When you find some photos bring them on in. We love photos of fire :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”