Garage Sale Tarptent

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Ridgerunner

Garage Sale Tarptent

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:10 pm

A couple summers ago, Ol' Stumpjumper and I stopped at a yard sale at a gentleman house who was a ScoutMaster and Commercial pilot and his kids had just graduated and were in college and he took a different job and had to move. I bought most of his backpacking gear he had for sale except the two Z-Rest for $5 ea.--- Screwed up on that one. :lol: The one treasure I did scarf up was this Black Diamond BetaMid and Floor accessory for $15. Set it up at turkey camp last year and was impressed with quality and weight. Packs down to the size of a softball. I'm looking for the bargain basement bugnet for it now. :lol:

ImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Re: Garage Sale Tarptent

Postby DarenN » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:16 pm

nice!

how big is it? LxWxH.

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:32 pm

DarenN wrote:nice!

how big is it? LxWxH.

The Beta Light by Black Diamond is a SilNylon version of the Betamid, designed for ultra weight-conscious climbers and trekkers. Can be used with the Beta Floor and Beta Bug to create a three-season shelter. Requires two adjustable poles for set up (not included). Dimensions 249 cm (98”) x 203 cm (80”) center, 112 cm (44”) ends and 44" height. Weight Tent only 535 g (1 lb 3 oz) Packaged 680 g (1 lb 8 oz) Packed Size 10 cm (diameter) x 15 cm (4” x 6”) Usable Floor Space 3.2 m2 (34.7 sq ft) Total Coverage 4.7 m2
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:52 pm

Daren, After further research, I believe this tent is a Beta Light as it is very small and light when packed down. The following pic changes my mind.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Black+Diamond/idesc/Beta+Light+Tent/Store/MG/item/346052/N/1006%204294967286

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:05 pm

that's a nice piece of kit at a steal of a deal.

i've got a MEC Guides Tarp that has well thought out grommet points. i've set it up in many different configurations, incuding a small teepee. the bag the tarp stores in is attached at the center-point with a toggle button and the bottom of the bag is reinforced with Cordura. trekking pole, stick, or kayak paddle goes in the bag and creates the center peak. rolls up to about 3" by 12".

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:31 pm

DarenN wrote:that's a nice piece of kit at a steal of a deal.

i've got a MEC Guides Tarp that has well thought out grommet points. i've set it up in many different configurations, incuding a small teepee. the bag the tarp stores in is attached at the center-point with a toggle button and the bottom of the bag is reinforced with Cordura. trekking pole, stick, or kayak paddle goes in the bag and creates the center peak. rolls up to about 3" by 12".

Daren......

Multi setup configurations....That sounds like a sweet unit. ;)

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:05 am

Wow, what a great deal! Looks cool too.

Cheers!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:46 pm

Allen wrote:Wow, what a great deal! Looks cool too.

Cheers!

Thanks Allen. Good to hear from you again. Where have you been hiding out?

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:52 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
Allen wrote:Wow, what a great deal! Looks cool too.

Cheers!

Thanks Allen. Good to hear from you again. Where have you been hiding out?

Hi Ridgerunner!
I was working 2 fulltime jobs all Spring and Summer, and haven't had any internet time :(
It's good to talk to You too!
Cheers!

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”