Lady hiker sets new record for Appalachian Trail

Some of our favorites!!!!
zelph

Re: Lady hiker sets new record for Appalachian Trail

Postby zelph » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:35 pm

I recently saw a documentary on the study of wolves made by a couple in Oregon. They had heavy packs but used no treking poles to traverse the mountain sides in search of wolves. The woman had a condition that caused her to have a great deal of pain in her feet. She could have benefited from having poles. :(
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:45 pm

I think so.

I think using trekking poles change the way you weigh and unweigh your feet and knees.

I think using trekking poles especially help knees. I know using the trekking poles especially helps knees on steep on-trail descents.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:39 pm

Actually..I use the poles more on the steep down trails to ease the shock on my knees of Washington's trails full of roots,boulders,and those Sasquatch sized steps.Downhill is tougher than uphill for me...but I do use my upper body/poles to help on the inclines and large steps that way also.
The trails around the greater Seattle area are a lot worse than the ONP on the peninsula.I call those "zamboni" trails over there.. :roll: .That's what it looks like they groomed them with.I can hike an additional 50% per day over there with less overall effort.
The "Mountain loop" area we normally hike around here has less maintenance,steeper trails(more switchbacks),more exposed cliffs,rock faces,and overall seems more rugged than the southern areas in the Puget Sound Basin or the peninsula..and it generally gets less traffic..which is why we go there.Usually the wife and I reach the trailheads at about 8am which means we usually don't see hardly anyone if at all until after lunch or noon..usually on OUR way back down..I can live with that. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:29 pm

Within 15 min or so of being on a trail I easily find a nice dry, bark free branch that I use as a staff for rough terrain. For some odd reason I like to have one hand free unencumbered to help pull myself up steep inclines/ravines etc. when off trails. I spend a lot of my time off trail wandering aimlessly :lol: looking for rare native plants. ;) One staff works for me. On flat trails I carry the staff by it's center parralel to the ground till I get to a place where it's needed.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:54 am

Look at that.

You are using your hands for the hiking you do.

I think that makes the difference.

Do your hands swell? I think not. Do your hands get numb? I think not.

I used to hike they manner you are describing. I had no problem about my hands.

Now, I stick to trails or open country, with no brush-crashing, because I there are ticks around here.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:47 pm

I used to find wood staffs along the trail also but the light weight of the trek poles and their quick length adjustibility have done away with the wood,especially when I use them for tent supports also.I generally carry two because most of my tents require two..but occasionally on more level day hikes I only take one.If I want "hands free",say for shooting a camera along a trail;I can collapse them for strapping them in or on the pack.On the other hand,they do make decent monopods,especially the ones made for that purpose with removable top knobs that unscrew for accessing a camera mount.
They are also handy for poking goats and slower hikers.. :roll: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:09 pm

Someday I may be seen with 2 poles trudging up a ravine. :D with a fanny pack on my back :mrgreen: uber light :ugeek:

Goats, cougar and bears OhBoy!!!!! You westerners have your hands full ;)

RG, your goat story is an eye opener. :shock:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:51 pm

If I'm hiking in the mountains, I always take two poles for the ups and downs to save the legs and knees. If I am hiking the trails at my local park , I don't use them as the terrain is only mildly hilly. I might take one of my curly sticks or staffs during shroom season. What really puzzles me is why people jog these grand trail systems to finish as quickly as possible. :roll: They miss so much the trail has to offer. To each their own, I guess. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:08 pm

Lady hiker sets new record for Appalachian Trail

The title says a lot.

Ask her what she saw while doing the trail run :lol:

Well It was somewhat of a blurr for the most part. :o Sweat in my eyes made things kinda multi colored and sparkely.

Some big corporate sportswear company will hire her to sign outographs at the trail heads, sping and fall ;)

Return to “Articles”