Tick and Mosquito Protection

Some of our favorites!!!!
Ridgerunner

Re: Tick and Mosquito Protection

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:13 pm

Connie, the one i have only repels maybe 70% of the mosquitos. It's the other 30% that concern me :o
:lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:49 pm

It's the other 30% that concern meeat me alive.. :o
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:05 pm

That's when the thermacell kicks in ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:19 pm

I take the wife along..They seem to like oriental food around here... :mrgreen: :lol: She'll agree to that..They chew her up badly and don't bother me...I don't know..maybe it's the Beer Deet...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:51 pm

That one brand name solar powered backup battery one I have mentioned was 100% effective until I dropped it on a concrete floor. I got another.

The mosquitos would not come within 12' of me. I saw them fly up that close, do a quick 180-turn out of there.

I was told it makes a distinctive dragonfly sound: dragonflys eat mosquitos.

In addition, I have an "alkalyn balance" evidenced by health and by wearing a copper bracelet, for example. If you have an "acid balance" the skin touching the copper bracelet, ring, necklace, will turn a greenish color you can wash off.

This is not a major difference in pH. It is a small difference, that makes a big difference in health.

It is not particularly a "western medicine idea" so most people around here have not heard of it.

However, ayurveda, a system of medicine and health in India, for example, speaks directly of the difference a small difference in pH makes in health. Ayurveda refers to "post digestive effect" of food items as either acid or alkalyn. This is not identical to the food item before digestion.

I happen to choose most food items that have an alkalyn "post digestive effect".

My mother said, "the mosquitos do not like the way you taste".

I would be at the neighbor's tennis court watching the tennis game. Mosquitos biting everyone else, the mosquitos did not bite me.

And so, I think small differences in pH make a big difference for mosquitos for a target for their favorite "food" and for "food" that doesn't taste so good to the mosquito.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:07 pm

+1 "That's when the thermacell kicks in ;)"

quiet, foolproof, works on no-seeums too. (hate them :evil: )

for ticks:
permethrin, hats, long sleeves, and most importantly IMO is a thorough inspection at the end of the day.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:52 am

I like thermacells, they work good.

I do the thorough inspection routine.

I would be at the neighbor's tennis court watching the tennis game. Mosquitos biting everyone else, the mosquitos did not bite me.

Your mom would say you don't taste good to them :o :mrgreen:

I read somewhere if you eat a lot of garlic the skeeters won't bite you, may not have many close friends either :mrgreen:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:58 am

I had never heard of thermaCELL until here. That is an interesting product.

ref: http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent/appliances

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:59 am

Has anyone tried using the thermacell liquid applied onto something like a sweat band to see if it works just as good and a personal in close repellant?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:26 pm

Well good news!

My all natural repellant worked EXTREMELY well this weekend. Mosquitoes were EVERYWHERE and I only got nabbed once behind my knee and that was because I forgot to put a bit back there. They will definitely hunt down a spot that is not covered. Sure it smelled a little strong (nice but strong) but it worked. All without DEET! Very pleased.

2 things of note:

1 - Had to reapply every 4-5 hours just given the amount I was sweating due to the heat. Not an issue as I had a small bottle in my pocket. Don't know if it was TRULY needed but I couldn't smell it anymore. That was my only basis for putting on more.

2 - Yellow jackets HATE this stuff! There were quite a few around checking things out and generally being a nuisance. I hit one with a small spray and he left the area at about Mach 2! LOL!

All in all.... it worked VERY well. :DP:

Return to “Articles”