Tick and Mosquito Protection

Some of our favorites!!!!
sudden

Re: Tick and Mosquito Protection

Postby sudden » Sun May 29, 2011 2:59 pm

realityguy wrote:Basically it looks like you need something that fits under the tick's body without putting pressure on it..and twisting the the tick out..Couldn't a person carve the end of a small stick with a low profile V notch(to get under the tick's body) and do the same thing in the field? :roll:

There is one diy where someone used a plastic card. I suppose you could use the lid from a cup of coffee and do the same thing.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 29, 2011 6:10 pm

Here is another tool that could be attached to your key chain and works on a similar method.

http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.jsp?ga=us14&q=tick+key
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 29, 2011 8:29 pm

Anyone know what they used during the civil war for mosquito protection. Other than long sleeves and hand swatters :mrgreen:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 29, 2011 9:23 pm

realityguy,

The curved spinning part looks just like a miniature cat's paw(nail puller type) with a slot that goes from wide enough to go around the tick to nothing...What's hard to make about that?Get an angled toothbrush..heat the head to bend it more(to 90 degrees) and cut off the bristles..hack some of the head off and V notch what's left.The handle is just round to facilitate the spinning action..That looks pretty simple to carve down to also...
Sorry..I'm not into spending $6(plus shipping!) for 1/2 cent or less of plastic.. :roll:

I thought so! HAH!

It looks like an OTOM.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 30, 2011 12:37 am

Okay..let's take a flat 1/16" thick piece of plastic(peanut butter jar lid or?),drill a 1/8" hole in one end for a keychain and a 1/4" round hole(even a triangular one would work fine also) near the other end.Take a small xacto(swiss army,etc..etc..) knife and cut a V slot from that hole. :roll:

There are just too many hatracks and wasted braincells in this world... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Uh, are you callng me a hatrack for paying $6 for a product all the way from France?

I vote with my dollars (and I vote with my feet).

I voted $6: I rewarded the ingenious inventer $6. That's it.

If they wanted more, I would have paid more.

I think innovative people should be rewarded.

If you were selling stuff, because you are an innovative guy, I would reward you with dollars.

I don't pay out my hard earned dollars because I am stupid.

I pay for innovative and ingenious stuff to reward the innovator.

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon May 30, 2011 10:08 pm

ConnieD wrote:Uh, are you callng me a hatrack for paying $6 for a product all the way from France?

I vote with my dollars (and I vote with my feet).

I voted $6: I rewarded the ingenious inventer $6. That's it.

If they wanted more, I would have paid more.

I think innovative people should be rewarded.

If you were selling stuff, because you are an innovative guy, I would reward you with dollars.

I don't pay out my hard earned dollars because I am stupid.

I pay for innovative and ingenious stuff to reward the innovator.

I got 2 for $6 a big tick and a small tick version plus a handy little case, and my wife loved the stamp from France. I don't think I could diy a better one, that's another reason for buying. I do like diy but I probably would have gone thru $7 worth of toothbrushes before I got it right :mrgreen:
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue May 31, 2011 10:57 am

There is a certain amount of ingenuity that should be rewarded...and a lot of people willing to pay that reward.On the other hand,this is a MYOG website and it wouldn't be that hard a project for anyone to make their own..
And no..I don't own a pet rock or Obama chia pet and wouldn't be willing to buy one because it "was a brilliant idea". :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:22 pm

I did not know this is exclusively a do-it-yourself website.

I like the fact, you have ingeniusly shown how to make one.

I suppose we can expect insect repellant formulas for "alternative" Deet?

I know I won't use Deet.

Instead, I use a Goldmaster Solar Power Anti Mosquito Guard I picked up in Real Goods solar power store near Ukiah, California.

Here is the item available online: http://www.solarpowersecret.com/goldmas ... -darkness/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Of course it's not an exclusively do-it-yourself website..Buying them is your choice..and you can give your opinion..as can I.. ;)

Return to “Articles”