Dehydrating

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
ImageImage
oops56

Re: Dehydrating

Postby oops56 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:42 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
I will have to check out the deli selection for you the next time i am in there. I usually get some shaved turkey breast and some pepper loaf.

I stopped by the Amish Food Store today. The deli really did not have anything out of the ordinary. I took a pic of their dehydrated soups, beans, and rice mixes. They finally started carrying dehydrated diced bell peppers...Whooo Hooo...now I can make my western omelettes without having to worry about drying bell peppers. ;)

Then I ran across something I just know is up zelph's alley. It is a Silicone egg poacher that looked like you could poach eggs in a Heine pot. They come in a 2 pack for $7.99...that's Amish pricing for you. :lol: Might be able to fashon one from the corner of a milk jug? I wonder if you could bake a brownie in one ? :D

Zelph, we should start a subject: "Everything Eggs" :lol:

ImageImage

Ridgerunner you are trouble i was going stay home and start building my solar cooker now i got to run the roads find one.
Man play with fire man get burnt

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:02 pm

also be on the lookout for silicone muffin cups. they work great for brownies as well as muffins. i'm sure that one could make a egg-a-muffin :mrgreen: .

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:36 pm

I wonder if Sabar has used these to bake on the trail? Seems like I remember something along those lines in one of her videos or maybe my mind is mixing it up with someone elses video. :oops: Oldtimers setting in. :? How 'bout it Sabar?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:41 pm

Thanks for getting those photos of the store. I was hoping they would have had some exotic meats or fresh exotic salads of some sort. Horse meat like the French have in their deli's. Hogs head like the hispanics. Did they have any Rabbit?

I'm tempted to purchase a silicon muffin tray and cut it up to have one cup to poach eggs in my favorite 2.5 cup aluminum pot. I think it has enough head room to get one those muffin thingies in there and close the lid. I like eggs :mrgreen:

A thread just for eggs, good thinking Ridgerunner :D Good thing to start when time permits. Actually anyone can start it. I'm behind schedule :roll:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:59 pm

On the subject of Buffalo meat, here in Seattle, you can find it fresh both ground and in various steak cuts at "Whole Foods". You can find prepackaged ground buffalo in the larger Safeway's and QFC's (owned by Kroger). It might be easier to find here because it is raised in Montana which is not too far away.

I like to buy buffalo in a London broil cut, slice into 1/4inch strips, and marinate in Teriyaki sauce for a day, then dehydrate on high until done. It's lean and tastes good. The ground Buffalo I lightly salt, then cook in a skillet, stirring to keep it broken up until cooked through, and then drain. It dehydrates well and tastes great in spaghetti sauce.

sarbar

Postby sarbar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:59 pm

OK, I will find one of those Poach Pods! I want one! :D

Mmmmmmm...bison is so good! I spotted a herd of them on the way back from Rainier this past weekend. I need to find out if the growers are selling...if so, hello!
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

brooklynkayak

Postby brooklynkayak » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:14 am

I think the big plus of having a dehydrator is being able to purchase items on sale and have them for off season times.

As an example:
Sweet peppers can cost $4 a lb off season, $0.60 lb in season. I once bought 20 lbs and dried em up in a few days. I ended up with less than 3 lbs when dried and still have plenty left and use them all the time.

Sometimes lean roasts go on sale, they make the best jerky because of the low fat content(fat shortens shelf life). Buffalo is the best, if you can find it.

Dried fish used to be by far the most common way to east fish in the old days. Fresh fish was rarely eaten.
Bacalao(salt cod) is still quite common around here in the "world" type markets.

stevie
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
-- H. S. Thompson

Return to “Just Plain Ole Camp Cooking”