!

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
ImageImage
zelph

Re: Making Bacon

Postby zelph » Sat May 24, 2014 7:34 pm

thank you big time for all the info :D

Decisions...decisions....which way do I go :?

I had to get more info on the Morton Curing salts and the rub mixture used at your original link.

Then I mixed up the cure and spices - 1 tbsp of Morton Tender Quick per lb. of meat, a couple of rounded tablespoons of fresh black pepper, and some granulated garlic for flavor.This mix was rubbed thoroughly over all exposed surfaces of the meat, into the recesses and any cracks, making sure there were no spots left uncoated:

Morton® Tender Quick® mix contains salt, the main preserving agent; sugar, both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite, curing agents that also contribute to development of color and flavor; and propylene glycol to keep the mixture uniform. Morton® Tender Quick® mix can be used interchangeably with Morton® Sugar Cure® (Plain) mix. It is NOT a meat tenderizer.

CAUTION: This curing salt is designed to be used at the rate specified in the formulation or recipe. It should not be used at higher levels as results will be inconsistent, cured meats will be too salty, and the finished products may be unsatisfactory. Curing salts should be used only in meat, poultry, game, salmon, shad and sablefish. Curing salts cannot be substituted for regular salt in other food recipes. Always keep meat refrigerated (36° to 40°F) while curing.

roduct Overview:
This mix is a fast cure product that has been developed as a cure for meat, poultry, game, salmon, shad, and sablefish. It is a combination of high grade salt and other quality curing ingredients that can be used for both dry and sweet pickle curing.

Morton® Sugar Cure® (Smoke Flavored)
This mix is formulated especially for dry curing large cuts of meat like hams or bacon. It contains salt, sugar, sodium nitrate, propylene glycol, caramel color, natural hickory smoke flavor, a blend of natural spices and dextrose (corn sugar). The cure reaction takes longer with Morton® Smoke Flavored Sugar Cure® mix than with plain Morton® Sugar Cure® mix, so the smoke flavored product should be used only for dry curing and not for making a brine (pickle) solution.

CAUTION: This curing salt is designed to be used at the rate specified in the formulation or recipe. It should not be used at higher levels as results will be inconsistent, cured meats will be too salty, and the finished products may be unsatisfactory. Morton® Sugar Cure® Smoke Flavor is only for dry curing ham and bacon. This product should not be used with other meats or in a brine cure. Curing salts cannot be substituted for regular salt in other food recipes. Always keep meat refrigerated (36° to 40°F) while curing.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat May 31, 2014 8:14 am

I saw....I drooled and now off to the kitchen to make me some eggs and store bought bacon :mrgreen:

Your bacon looks mighty lean and yumalichious....yeah, yumalichious is the right word. :D trally delicious looking photos :D

Really.....off to the kitchen I go ;)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat May 31, 2014 10:25 pm

Really; he's not kidding! He is in the kitchen makin' bacon AND EGGS :DB:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:47 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Really; he's not kidding! He is in the kitchen makin' bacon AND EGGS :DB:

You know me too well :D

I made my 3, six min. eggs in the Imusa Mug and I took some prefired bacon out of the freezer and zapped them in the microwave. Made toast and by then the eggs were done just right. Salt and peppered them and they were savored to the max............I love eggs :D

Return to “Just Plain Ole Camp Cooking”