Top Notch Jerky - Better Bullion

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
ImageImage
shakeylegs

Top Notch Jerky - Better Bullion

Postby shakeylegs » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:11 pm

I almost always throw some jerky into the backcountry menu - mostly for snacking. And I never truly relish the thought of digging in as I've never found jerky that wasn't akin to shoe leather. Until now. Suddenly I'm seeing "Krave" jerky in every food store, large and small. I'm in northern california and Krave is made in Sonoma. But they claim that their products are available in most states nationally. What makes their jerky so good? Simple - the texture is as good or better than some mistakes you'll pull off the grill. The meat is almost moist, easily chewed and torn, and the flavor options though on the sweet side, are quite nice. The average bag is about 3.25 oz - on the smaller size as jerky is sold. Still, if this were regular quality jerky I'd eat one, maybe two pieces. With this jerky, I have to stop myself from eating the whole bag in one sitting. Not only is it tasty and tooth friendly, krave seems like it would be great for incorporating in stews and other cooked meals. I've worked my way through the Krave beef jerkys and now am working on the pork and turkey jerkys. Just to confirm, I have no commercial interest nor do I have any personal relationship with anyone at Krave. I just love their product! If you want to try and can't find it locally, try their online store - http://www.kravejerky.com/.

I've hesitated using bullion based concoctions for backcountry meals as the salt/sugar/monosodiumglute cubed bullions just don't taste very good. Now, several companies are offering small portion packages of glace - highly reduced meat essences that can be added to water to produce fairly tasty meat bullions, gravies, and glazes. Flavors are usually beef, chicken, and vegetable, but others exist. They vary in price from a few dollars to $20-$30 dollars for larger quantities of high quality product. They don't seem to require refrigeration and they pack lots of flavor in small doses. I first saw them at Trader Joes and a local gourmet market. Now Safeway has them in their own label as well as Swanson, Knorr, and a few others. As they are syrupy in consistency, they should rehydrate easily and perform well for freezer bag cooking as well as back country glops and stews. The best quality products I've found (also the largest variety of meat glaces) are produced by these folks - http://www.morethangourmet.com/. Again, no personal relationship with them. Just a great product I'd like to see kept in production.

bon apetito
shakeylegs

zelph

Re: Top Notch Jerky - Better Bullion

Postby zelph » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:51 am

I've had some jerky that had the tender tastiness as you describe, not sure of it's name but I ate the whole bag in one sitting....not good :hungry: :oops: Another down side is the need for toothpicks after eating a bag full :P No one will deny how good they are ;)

Salt and sugar on leather might be another good treat :mrgreen:

I will search the shelves for the sauce type product described. They sound useful.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:28 pm

really good Jerky starts with good meat. I use (in order of preference) beef sirloin, round, flanksteak (cut across the grain) cubesteak, or venison cubesteak. If you are not trying to make it last for an extended period, then you can take it out a little earlier from the dehydrator. You also can leave a little fat on there. Trust me you want to. Unless again you are trying to make something that will last in a bag for a few months. Minie never lasts more that a single day with my kids around :cry:

My favorite marinade is Dales, a little bit of olive oil( I know, but I started doing to to add moisture to the venison and I just like the flavor :D ) and natures seasoning sprinkled on after laying the meat in the trays. With my newer little Walmart "oster" brand dehydrator mine takes about 6 hrs to finish.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:26 pm

The flavors used for making jerky are too tasty :mrgreen: The last time i tried to make it I succumbed to gluttony. :o I cooked it stove top method and enjoyed it 2 days in a row :lol: I'm a sucker for tastiness. :mrgreen:

Consider dehydrating for six hours a "slow" cook method. being the family consumes it in one day. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Just Plain Ole Camp Cooking”