Smoked Fish

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
zelph

Smoked Fish

Postby zelph » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:30 am

I gotta try this soon....

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Re: Smoked Fish

Postby cadyak » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:01 pm

That looks really good :D I wish I had saved the sawdust from my kuksa. Ill bet pecan would work pretty well. I like the Stowaway pot

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:40 pm

cadyak wrote:That looks really good :D I wish I had saved the sawdust from my kuksa. Ill bet pecan would work pretty well. I like the Stowaway pot

oh yeah, the handle on the pot is extra long....see the vid at the 8:00 mark. Makes putting the pot on the coals nice and easy.

My neighbor has some pine trees like those used in the vid. It's time for me to trim some of the branches hanging over on my side of the fence :mrgreen:

Show us the kuska you made, please. Pecan shells, do you think crushed pecan shells would give off a good flavored smoke? Did you know pecan trees have made their way up the Mississippi river banks all the way up to Burlington, Iowa? Native Americans are the ones that slowly acclimated them over many years during the early years before the pioneers. The local super market has pecans in the shell.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:35 am

My Kuksa is applewood. I should be able to find it round here somewhere. I dont use it much. I do use pecan all the time though and it works great for wood fires and for smoking. I am not really sure about the shells. They are very oily and they produce a darker smoke.
I have an old deep frypan with a lid that might work pretty well for smoking fish in his style. I wonder what the inside bottom of that pan looks like afterwards :geek:
One of the different ways I cook trout is over fire in pan with more of a bouillabaisse style on top of some veggies. Everything in the pot gets eaten. :D
I have been thinking about making the tomato/zucchini/squash/onion base and dehydrating it to take on a fall trout fishing excursion. i think that it would rehydrate pretty well and really speed up the cooking process. Mix in some water and get the tomato base hot and then lay the fish on top, cover and place back on the heat. 5 mins. A little brown rice on the side... yum.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Well maybe the oily shells wood work better. After the fish is cooked, throw some water in the pot and put over the heat until it boils and then stir with wooden spoon till the bottom comes clean. Drink the pine pecan tea(add a little sugar) ;)

Your recipes always make me drool :lol: and make me hungry even though I just finished eating :mrgreen:

Mix in some water and get the tomato base hot in a bowl. cook the fish as in the video. Take and crumble up the fish into the bowl with the tomato base. Make tea out of what remains in the pan. :idea:

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:20 pm

The tea idea actually sounds pretty good. I wonder what our best local tree is for making a brew or smoking while green like that. We have tons of sassafras and used to make tea from the roots when I was a kid. :D
If you make a campfire, then a green stick over the fire with a little salt and pepper may be the best way of all to cook fish. you can stuff something aromatic inside.. I like a slice of vidalia onion.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:49 pm

cadyak wrote:The tea idea actually sounds pretty good. I wonder what our best local tree is for making a brew or smoking while green like that. We have tons of sassafras and used to make tea from the roots when I was a kid. :D
If you make a campfire, then a green stick over the fire with a little salt and pepper may be the best way of all to cook fish. you can stuff something aromatic inside.. I like a slice of vidalia onion.

Search your area for some southern pine : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_palustris

Put some sassafras roots on the bottom of the pot, pine needles on top of that and then the fish. :mrgreen:

I like tomato and vidalia onion sandwiches made with mayo, salt and pepper. :hungry:

Sassafras, isn't that what they use for root beer?

Every time I've tried fish on a stick they would cook too fast and break off. I was never patient enough to look for a three prong stick to attach the fish onto for security. My bad!!!! :oops:

Henry

Postby Henry » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:02 am

After read these posts want to eat this fish ..........Hmmmm
Thanks to share it .Nice......
Last edited by Henry on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
I don't mind going nowhere, as long as it's an interesting path.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:55 am

Henry wrote:After read these posts want to eat this fish ..........Hmmmm
Thanks to share it .Nice......

marquee rental Melbourne

Do you like to go fishing?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed May 13, 2015 9:43 pm

Yep, just need to catch some fish and the crappie are biting good at the local state park lake ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Just Plain Ole Camp Cooking”