Pan Bread and Muffins

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
ImageImage
zelph

Re: Pan Bread and Muffins

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:21 pm

10 min. cooking time and 1 ounce of fuel. Using the steam method makes for nice moist good eatin morsels :D someday I'll have to try the dry/desert bake.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:56 pm

I felt compelled to bump this thread up a notch as a reminder to our viewers alcohol stoves are easy to bake with. The best part is you don't need a stove that simmers. :DB:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:41 am

I keep coming back to this thread when I read on other forums how someone is baking with an alcohol stove. This thread has some awesome info on the well tested results of our contributors. I refer back to this thread so often I used the "sticky" feature to keep it at the top of the forum ;)

I had a blueberry beagle this morning and made me think of the big blueberry muffins I made with my Fancee Feest alcohol stove and the large jello mold.

I read through a few pages and copied some interesting stuff to share:

esterday I wanted to test the mix out of a box. There is at least twice the amount of mix in a box. After mixing the batter I guessed at the total amount of batter to be 1 1/4 cups of batter would be half the amount for each bundt pan that I had greased up. I put the batter into the pans and was ready to bake. 1st one came out fine. I saw what appeared to be enough water left in the lower pan to do the next bundt pan. I proceeded as normal and half way through the baking I could smell something different. I went to the kitchen and looked to see if the burner was still on. Yep just on the last bit of fuel remaining. After a few min. I removed the lid and was surprised to see the top had browned slightly(see photo). I placed the bundt on a plate upside down and holding onto the two together gave it a quick downward thrust to have the muffin separate itself from the pan. I came out easily and was surprised to see the muffin had browned completely on the outside and inside.

The lower pan had run out of water and was being heated while dry causing no harm to the pan but causing the muffin to brown because of the high heat.

Now I have to make more muffin rings to determin the right amount of water for the pan to cook and brown on a consistant basis.

Things just happen for the better!!!! It was not intentional that it browned. I thought I had enough water left to do another bake.

Edited to add photos:

ImageImage

Made 2 Betty Crocker peanut butter bundt ring muffins.

Used Betty Crocker Peanut Butter Cookie Mix. comes in the plastic pouch goo for mixing right in the pouch.

I eliminated the required mixing ingredients. I used only 1 cup of applesauce.

They turned out like muffin mix rings. They tasted peanutbuttery good :mrgreen:

Wait till cooled before removing from pan. They shrink away from the sides of the pans.

ImageImageImageImageImage

It's down to a science :D 1/4 cup water. It completely evaporates 2/3 of the way through and then comes the dry heat to brown it a little at the end. good idea about the new vaccum sealer, will do :)

Sarbar move over, here comes Ridgerunner and Zelph :mrgreen:

2 ounces of fuel burned for 17 min. I let the pot sit for an addition 12 min. to let it continue to cook by means of latent heat. The pot acts a cozy because it has an air space between the jello mold and the wall of the pot that it's in. The jello mold doesn't sit on the bottom of the pot, it' s suspended about an inch from the bottom. A total of 30 min elapsed before removing the meatloaf. It was thouroughly cooked and tasted delicious :D Sarbar would be proud :lol: I'll try and make a more detailed movie to show details :)

Here is a movie short version:

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:25 pm

My wife made mince meat muffins today and made me think of trail muffin baking. She said there are 2 kinds, the stuff in a jar and the dry in a box. Tis the season for mincemeat goodies. I thought the dried, condensed ingredients would be good to take along to make some good tasting muffins. I did a google and found some info on it.

I ordered a 6-pak of the condensed product for the 2014 season.

I gathered this info from the "none-such" site.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1/6 package (43g)
Servings 6
Calories 130
Calories From Fat 0
Amount/Serving %DV*
Total Fat 0g 0 %
Saturated Fat 0g 0 %
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0 %
Sodium 240mg 10 %
Carbohydrates 32g 11 %
Dietary Fiber 1g 5 %
Sugars 29g
Protein 1g
Vitamin A 0 %
Vitamin C 0 %
Calcium 0 %
Iron 2 %
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Ingredients
RAISINS, BROWN SUGAR, DRIED APPLES, DEXTROSE, WATER, SALT, BEEF, CORN STARCH, DRIED CITRUS PEEL, APPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE, SPICES, DISTILLED VINEGAR.

No raisins on hand? Substitute an equal amount of crumbled Condensed None Such Mincemeat for raisins in cake, cookie or bread recipes.

Buy Online:

https://onlinestore.smucker.com/display ... all=0&pg=1
If it's related to "Smuckers" it's gotta be good :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:16 pm

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:56 pm

Well today I made a mini cake/muffin. For now it's called the 326 muffin.

3 portions of cake mix
2 portions water
6 min steam bake

My wife made up a batch of mix for a quick microwave desert cake. The cake is called the 321 cake

3 cake mix
2 water
1 min. microwave on high

So I had the idea to use the mix for steam baking and it's working.

All I have to do now is refine it using an alcohol stove. Todays test kitchen was performed on the gas stove in the kitchen. Used a stainless steel mug, and aluminum insert and inside the insert was a non stick coated steel angel food cake pan that is 3-5/8" dia.
Attachments
3-2-6 cake 003.jpg
3-2-6 cake 005.jpg
3-2-6 cake 004.jpg
3-2-6 cake 002.jpg
3-2-6 cake 001.jpg

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:55 pm

I've seen those pans at wallyworld and Bed bath and Beyond ;-) Did u bake it with a an Alky Stove?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:42 pm

I got 4 pans on ebay. I'll get link later. they are non-stick, one piece "Fox Run" brand. Heavy, 2-3/8oz :roll: made of steel, professional grade. Expensive at some sources. :roll:

I have not used an alcohol stove yet. Maybe today.

I baked another cake this morning. I used more batter for better baking ...say that 3 times real fast :mrgreen:

I baked it for 6 min same set up.

The recipe for the batter is easy peasy. I'll give that later after my testing with the alcohol stove is complete. It' an easy mix to carry in ziploc bags, add the water, knead bag to mix and then pour. I think I'll be using the StarLyte stove for simmering. Not sure what pot yet.

I let the cake cool/rest ;) and then it shrunk away from the side of the cake pan making for easy removal. One of the photos shows that.
Attachments
3-2-6 cake 1 004.jpg
3-2-6 cake 1 003.jpg
3-2-6 cake 1 002.jpg
3-2-6 cake 1 001.jpg

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:14 pm

Seeing the mini cake pan next to the silicone egg poacher, I realize it is smaller than the one I was thinking it was. :o :oops:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Seeing the mini cake pan next to the silicone egg poacher, I realize it is smaller than the one I was thinking it was. :o :oops:

it is on the tiny size. One that is easier to be considered backpacking size. The cake batter has sugar in it so it's a sweet treat after a hearty Mountain House meal. :D

I'm having difficulty matching up the cake pan to a pot with the appropriate lid. :oops:

Yes,the egg poacher is the right size for holding the hot cake pan in your hand while you eat the cake right out of the pan. The poacher can also be used to pick up a pot by it's hot handles such as the ones on a 10cm Imusa Mug or even the 12 cm mug.

Return to “Just Plain Ole Camp Cooking”