trail chili

Share your favorite food, the greasier the better. I love bacon!!!!! and also eggs.
ImageImage
DarenN

trail chili

Postby DarenN » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:36 pm

i make a pretty mean chili that i have tried dehydrating, and it worked darn good! :D (thanks RR!) (and thanks for the parchment paper tip, Sarbar)
recently it was brought to me attention that what most people call chili is frowned upon by "officianados". whatever that may be :roll: . this fella from Texas told me that true chili is not ground beef, has no tomatoes, or beans, or pasta. he called it "Straight Chili" and it consists of cubed beef, diced bacon, onions and garlic, and spices. that's all. as far as he was concerned my recipe was for pasta sauce. GRRRRRRRR!! we had words. anyway, after beatin' this block-head with a verbal stick for a while he finally came across with a recipe. i'll try it out and let y'all know what i think. i'll post the recipe if it's worth it.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56

Re: trail chili

Postby oops56 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:37 am

DarenN wrote:i make a pretty mean chili that i have tried dehydrating, and it worked darn good! :D (thanks RR!) (and thanks for the parchment paper tip, Sarbar)
recently it was brought to me attention that what most people call chili is frowned upon by "officianados". whatever that may be :roll: . this fella from Texas told me that true chili is not ground beef, has no tomatoes, or beans, or pasta. he called it "Straight Chili" and it consists of cubed beef, diced bacon, onions and garlic, and spices. that's all. as far as he was concerned my recipe was for pasta sauce. GRRRRRRRR!! we had words. anyway, after beatin' this block-head with a verbal stick for a while he finally came across with a recipe. i'll try it out and let y'all know what i think. i'll post the recipe if it's worth it.

I like mild chili not hot cause it seams at my age it burns at both ends same thing hot peppers :lol: :lol: I love hot pepper sandwich.
Man play with fire man get burnt

sarbar

Postby sarbar » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:07 am

Well, I like your chili idea. I am not much of a fan of "real chili". Too much meat :D

Post away! Would love to see it....
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:35 am

I was born in the Ohio, lived most of my young life in Illinois, and most of my adult life in Seattle. Never did pick up a taste for "Real" chili. I like lots of beans and tomatoes in my chili. Ground beef too. Guess I'm just not a connoisseur.

Wouldn't mind a peak at your recipe Daren. Sound good so far.

russb

Postby russb » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:15 pm

Chili dehydrates/rehydrates awesome. I just made a chili for a gathering I attended. It was well received as I think most chilis are. It is really hard to screw up chili.

I have made all different sorts over the years and tried one traditional chili. It was great IMO, but some people didn't like it, to them it wasn't "chili".

Love to see your recipe though. I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:23 pm

DarenN wrote:i make a pretty mean chili that i have tried dehydrating, and it worked darn good! i'll try it out and let y'all know what i think. i'll post the recipe if it's worth it.

Give us the Texas version one way or another :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:59 pm

ok. this is MY chili recipe. what Mr. Texan called pasta sauce:

2 pounds lean ground beef
2 large onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dried oregano
4 15oz cans stewed tomatoes
1 15oz can tomato sauce (like 'Hunts' or 'Ragu')
1 15oz can red kidney beans [drained]
1 10oz can sliced mushrooms [drained]

in a cast iron frypan, brown the beef with the onions and garlic. drain and transfer to crockpot/slow cooker.
stir in everything else and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
serve with garlic bread [toasted].

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

russb

Postby russb » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:46 pm

My Northeastern Chili recipe

2# ground beef
1# ground pork
20oz can of tomato puree
32oz can of dark red kidney beans
2 cloves garlic
1 large sweet onion (like texas honey or mayan sweet, this is important!)
1 large green pepper
1 poblano pepper
1 hot peeper of choice (hungarian, jalepeno, habanero, etc...)
chili powder (recipe follows)
2 tbs cumin (i like extra cumin)
1/2 beer (like corona)

mince onions, peppers. sweat them for a long time until verrrry soft. saute meats and garlic then add to onion/pepper mixture. Add tomato puree, kidney beans, seasonings and beer. cook as long as possible. cool it down in refridgerator. reheat slowly so as to not burn. serve with cornbread.

chili powder recipe
1 tbs cumin
4 tsp dried oregano
3 tbs paprika
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs kosher salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper

My texas style chili

6 ancho chilis (these are dried poblanos)
8 dried hot chilis (these are the small hot ones!)
3 cups boiling water
1/2 lb beef suet (this is important!)
3# lean beef in 1/2 inch cubes
3 bay leaves finely crumbled
2 cloves garlic
chili powder (see recipe above)
3 tbs yellow cornmeal

Clean chilis of their stems, ribs and seeds. (running them under cold water really helps this process). crumble them and pour boiling water over them to soak for 30 minutes. Strain and save both chilis and water.

Render beef suet and remove "bits" and all but 1/4 cup of the fat. Add beef cubes and cook till firm (DO NOT BROWN THEM). Add 2 cups of the chili soaking liquid and boil. Add the bay leaves and simmer for an hour.

Blend the chili powder, garlic, and chilis and rest of soaking liquid into a puree.

Add puree to meat and simmer for another 1/2 hour.

stirring constantly, slowly pour the cornmeal and cook over high heat until it boils and thickens a little. DONE!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:33 pm

russb, that Texas Style Chili mix looks like it might have a bit of a bite to it. ;) You might need those other 51/2 corona's to get sa bowl down :lol: Nothing like hiking the trail and having your tail end on fire!Image
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

russb

Postby russb » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:31 am

That it does RR!

One of the great things about chili is its "customizability". Make it as hot and/or sweet as you want. Learn your different chili peppers and have fun trying different ones and combinations. Best part is eating all the iterations. :)

Return to “Just Plain Ole Camp Cooking”