StarLyte XL 4.5

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Re: StarLyte XL 4.5

Postby zelph » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:32 pm

cruiser wrote:.9 oz per unit?
I though they were 1.5oz? Getting lighter or is the lid the extra half ounce?
I know its dumb, but I'm one of those BPL guys, and the extra ounce over my original Starlyte was discouraging because it wouldn't really offset the weight of my fuel bottle. .4 ounces heavier though sounds a lot better, particularly considering the jump in efficiency you've noted with the larger burner.

With the lid it's 1.0 ounce.

A 4 ounce capacity fuel bottle weighs 1/2 ounce.

Further testing indicates I should change it's capacity to read: 4 ounce fuel capacity. That works out nicely cause I will then include a fuel bottle with 4 ounce capacity. If you use HEET in yellow bottle it can be transferred into fuel bottle and then that can be the measuring device to add 4 ounces into the burner/stove. An additional 4 ounces can then be carried in the fuel bottle.

Some of us can think of this new burner as a lightweight Trangia. The lid can be put on to conserve remaining fuel. It will have the capability to simmer via the carbon felt pad. The superior factor is.....safety from spilling fuel :ugeek: Once the fuel has been put in, it won't spill out.
Out west the burn bans put a damper on backpackers having a quiet experience by causing them to use canister stoves.

Backpackinglight?

I read that in the description at the Suluk46 website for his titanium windscreen.

Is Suluk46 welding up windscreens?

A quote from a welding site:

Equipment and parameters for resistance spot or seam welding titanium are the same as are required for austenitic stainless steel. As with any welding procedure to be used on titanium, test resistance spot and seam welds should be made on titanium, prior to production welds. Tension-shear tests will help to determine quality of the welds made. Once parameters and procedures are verified as producing quality welds consistently, these should be adhered to strictly during production runs.""
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:39 pm

"With the lid it's 1.0 ounce."

Oh. Wow. That is great. I missed your earlier post in this thread where you said you refined your technique and dropped the original weight.

Three times the fuel capacity at only twice the weight is impressive.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:27 pm

My experience with the lid for the modified STARLYTE has been no alcohol fumes on my clothing or gear. No odor.

Now, you will send the container as well: it has never leaked, or, allowed fumes. No odor.

I hope you get this all together real soon. I am eager to try it.

Not all of the West bans alcohol stoves.

I read everything about that "incident" in Colorado: I thought it was deliberate.

I don't believe his story the alcohol stove fell over. I don't believe he couldn't kick dirt on the fire, even the edges of the fire so the fire does not continue. There wasn't anything about his story that had "hiker" credibility.

At any rate, alcohol stoves are not banned throughout the country. It is always wise, however, to find out the rules about fires because the fire danger risk is subject to change.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:32 pm

The lid for this one seals tight, no fumes/fuel will leak.

I'll start a batch of 24 this coming week. Should be in the store at the end of the week.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:19 pm

I don't believe his story the alcohol stove fell over. I don't believe he couldn't kick dirt on the fire, even the edges of the fire so the fire does not continue. There wasn't anything about his story that had "hiker" credibility.

I never read a newspaper account of the incident. Do you have alink to the story?

The new burners are coming along well, should be finished with them by the end of the day tomorrow.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:37 pm

The burners are finished.
Attachments
StarLyte XL4.JPG

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:57 pm

Ohh. Pretty.

Cats that like camping just let out a collective sigh the world over. Lol.

I may have to order one of these if they last.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:20 pm

More test completed today. Pot supports needed to be shortened to 3/4". In cold temperatures boil times are long.

I made another small batch with a hole diameter which is similar to the original StarLyte to sped up boil times in cold temps.

I need to plan something for my wife to do away from the house for 1/2 day so I can do some tests inside under official test conditions :D

It's 33 degrees in the garage. Difficult to get some scientific results ;)

skuzapo

Postby skuzapo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:13 pm

Here are some prelim test pics and results from the "Prototype" These were done in my workshop at ambient of 65 degrees. I am using a evernew titanium 750ml pasta pot with 2 cups of water at 65 degrees for all tests.

First Test is with the burner filled with 4 oz, rested for an hour. Note this did take 14 Min to get to 212 deg, this is the first test and there was 4 oz of denatured to warm up.

ImageImage

So now the thought is to check with a windscreen although not much draft in workshop. This is an aluminum one with stakes as a pot support that will hold the pot, same evernew, 1 inch above the pot. oops changing 2 variables. Point here is to see if the windscreen creates greater temp over more surface. This test i get 11:49 min

ImageImage

So next I go to look at the height of the potstand and run a test with a 1 inch gap between burner and pot but no wind screen. This test i get 12:31 min

ImageImage

So the initial observation confirms what Zelph found, reduce the height of the poststand to get to approx 1 inch. I am not sure if the windscreen helped much on the bench, i am sure it is a necessity outside

I ran the prototype with the 1.5 inch SS for 7 consecutive burns, the 7th ran out of fuel at 203 degrees, close. Damn efficient! So I would bet that you could estimate 4-6 boils with 4 oz of denatured outside under summer conditions with a windscreen. I did a run using the standard starlight and boil times improved by approx. 1.45 min, bench results

So I concur with the suggestion to reduce potstand height and open the burner port size

Hey this was my first post, followed the instructions and it worked. Nice burner/stove

Cheers, Skuz

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:23 pm

skuzapo wrote:Here are some prelim test pics and results from the "Prototype" These were done in my workshop at ambient of 65 degrees. I am using a evernew titanium 750ml pasta pot with 2 cups of water at 65 degrees for all tests.

First Test is with the burner filled with 4 oz, rested for an hour. Note this did take 14 Min to get to 212 deg, this is the first test and there was 4 oz of denatured to warm up.

ImageImage

So now the thought is to check with a windscreen although not much draft in workshop. This is an aluminum one with stakes as a pot support that will hold the pot, same evernew, 1 inch above the pot. oops changing 2 variables. Point here is to see if the windscreen creates greater temp over more surface. This test i get 11:49 min

ImageImage

So next I go to look at the height of the potstand and run a test with a 1 inch gap between burner and pot but no wind screen. This test i get 12:31 min

ImageImage

So the initial observation confirms what Zelph found, reduce the height of the poststand to get to approx 1 inch. I am not sure if the windscreen helped much on the bench, i am sure it is a necessity outside

I ran the prototype with the 1.5 inch SS for 7 consecutive burns, the 7th ran out of fuel at 203 degrees, close. Damn efficient! So I would bet that you could estimate 4-6 boils with 4 oz of denatured outside under summer conditions with a windscreen. I did a run using the standard starlight and boil times improved by approx. 1.45 min, bench results

So I concur with the suggestion to reduce potstand height and open the burner port size

Hey this was my first post, followed the instructions and it worked. Nice burner/stove

Cheers, Skuz

Very nice results of methods used. super nice photos. Great first post :D thank you!!!

I used 3/4" high pot support on my last test and it looked like it will work well.

I keep thinking these large burners will work well in the Caldera Cones. I need time for testing. Testing in 70 degree room temperature, 70 degree water temperature to start. Those are conditions that I'm accustomed to when I get "scientific".

Your tests confirm the opening is very conservative fuel wise. Longer boil times but very fuel efficient.

Skuz, what is your opinion of the construction of the burner?

Here is a photo of the two different size openings compared to the Original StarLyte burners:
Attachments
starxl 002.JPG

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”