zelph wood stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
realityguy

Re: zelph wood stove

Postby realityguy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:45 am

Time to measure your can top and then go shopping at your local supermarket with your tape measure.There's gotta be something compatible there.Find one with something good inside like a one pound coffee can,powdered eggs,etc...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:25 pm

Anyone got the diameter? Zelph? Bueller? Buuuueeeeller?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:17 pm

realityguy wrote:Hmm...Weber fire cubes remind me so much of haupia..I wonder if you could mix some lighter fluid with that to make the cubes. :roll: . :mrgreen:

Ok, I'll bite.........what's haupia? :mrgreen:

I'm glad you got me onto the cubes. They have no odor per say. Esbit stinks to all get out!!! yukky Same with haxamine, terrible stuff.

Somehow..I missed this post...Haupia is coconut pudding..Usually used for filler inside hawaiian cakes.. search Haupia cake :hungry:

Read the first line or two under "Haupia Cake"..why it reminded me of that..
http://www.hsn.com/roy-yamaguchi-recipe ... 57_xa.aspx
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:53 pm

I definitely agree on the cubes. Those things are AMAZING to watch burn. I'll be doing some more burning this afternoon/evening. My problem is that I've yet to FULLY load up the stove. I usually just put in the vertically stacked wood, and a couple pieces of "the cube" and light 'er up! However, in the field I light with a sparkie tool. Just always have to stay in practice. I may start bringing a peanut lighter as another fire starting option. Much easier to use as well as able to get flame to those pieces of cube easier. The cube does take spark VERY WELL though.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Haupia Cake"..

I'm glad you came back and gave a link...................I was losing sleep over that one. :mrgreen:

I've yet to FULLY load up the stove. I usually just put in the vertically stacked wood, and a couple pieces of "the cube" and light 'er up!

Fully loaded will boil/purify 1 gallon of water. Are you using some tinder twigs/little ones on top of the big ones? To get a really good pyrolysys going you need to get full coverage on top of the big twigs. a good amount of hot tinder all over the top to get the big guys going. Take a look at the big twigs I used in the one batch. They are 1.25" in diameter before splitting. Split wood really works better than whole.

Use a good size wad of jute twine fuzzed up for your sparky

Light anywhere matches are my friends :D They get down the tinder twigs to the cube pieces.

Anyone got the diameter? Zelph? Bueller? Buuuueeeeller?

4.25" diameter 4-1/4"
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:27 am

Gathered sticks in the woods near the house last night. Took the large bundle home and pulled out my pocket knife and got to splittin'! Large sticks on bottom, smaller on top. Really small pencil lead size or smaller and some bit of dried straw on top. Just like I'd do if I was hiking. I didn't try the sparkie on it, well cause I wanted to get it going quickly. Like I've posted before I can get it going that way but prefer the lighter for ease of use.

Took 2 minutes for it to really light up and a total of 5 for the "gassification" to take hold. Then it was going! BOY WAS IT GOING! LOL! I kept it burning for dang near a hour by steadily feeding it. My wife and I were amazed at once you have a bed of coals, how easy it was to add even very small sticks and that would produce quite large flames. That center post for airflow really comes into play when you have a ton of coals in the bottom.

When all was said and done, I had 2 inches of coals in the bottom! LOL! I burned a LOT of wood. :)

Will be burning more tonight.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:02 am

I love burning twigs :D Do it verticle and there is so much less smoke. This coming week I'll be burning wood three times a day in my big 6 cup kelly kettle. We had a heavy frost over night, all the skeeters perished for the better. ;) Big Halloween Campout coming up. I'll be off the airwaves for a week. I'll be burning twigs in this new stove design every day to test the stainless steel liner, see how well it protects the sides of the can. My early prototypes have some surface rust, love the natural beauty of rust. I took a dab of vaseline on my hands and then coated the outside of the stove to give it a little protection. Don't want it to lose it's rust color :mrgreen:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:39 am

Perhaps an initial coat of black grill paint would help inhibit the rust.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:16 am

Don't want it to lose it's rust color :mrgreen:

Perhaps an initial coat of black grill paint would help inhibit the rust.

Okay..rust colored grill paint... :roll:

:lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:03 pm

Both are great ideas. Maybe high heat resistant aluminum used on car engines. :?:

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”