zelph wood stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
FireTamer

Re: zelph wood stove

Postby FireTamer » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:50 pm

Payment Sent...I also included funds for a Go-To Stove(yes I needed another one) and 3 Venom Super stoves.

I like the patina after the first burn or two, but unfortunately it's not much protection from rust. So yes we eventually end up painting them.

Thanks,

FT

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:43 pm

FireTamer wrote:Payment Sent...I also included funds for a Go-To Stove(yes I needed another one) and 3 Venom Super stoves.

I like the patina after the first burn or two, but unfortunately it's not much protection from rust. So yes we eventually end up painting them.

Thanks,

FT

Thank you very much FT. I shipped all of the order today. You got the last zelph stove. I'm not going to be making that one any longer. Those of you that have one keep me posted once in a while to let me know how they are holding up.

Even though the stove rust it will last forever. A little surface rust is nothing more than brown soot :lol: and we all can put up with a little soot ;)
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

FireTamer

Postby FireTamer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:14 pm

I got in my toys(I mean stoves)today and I am one happy camper. :D Zelph a big THANK YOU!!! I wasn't expecting the little extras including the small companion burner that fits this particular wood stove. Then on top of that you refunded monies back to me due to combined shipping. You didn't have to do that. Now I can get my cook kits like I want them.

Today is a busy day so no time for stovin'. I'm cleaning up after last nights storm, the NPIP inspector is coming to check my birds, and the wife reminded me that tonight is date night. Hopefully tomorrow I can get back to my ongoing experiments and testing...lol.

Be Good!

FT

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:56 pm

Do you raise chickens for a hobby or commercial? Is it true that turkeys will huddle together in a corner during a thunderstorm?

FireTamer

Postby FireTamer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:39 am

Strictly a hobby. It can seem like a commercial endeavor sometimes..lol. Especially in the springtime. For the past few years I've been partnering/working with other folks to try and bring back the Heritage Rhode Island Reds. Not the stock that you get from the hatcheries these days. The quality stock is getting harder and harder to find and maintain. I will be winding my part down over the next couple of years and turn it over to someone else. I will probably still hatch eggs for others though. I have very good hatch rates(95% to 100% of all fertile eggs)and can hatch up to 600 at the time. With my health problems and feed prices going through the roof, it's just not as enjoyable as it used to be. I've had birds though for over 40yrs, so I guess you could really call it a lifestyle.

Sorry, the only thing I know about turkeys is how good they are after a trip into the smoker for a few hours.

FT

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:51 pm

FireTamer wrote:Strictly a hobby. It can seem like a commercial endeavor sometimes..lol. Especially in the springtime. For the past few years I've been partnering/working with other folks to try and bring back the Heritage Rhode Island Reds. Not the stock that you get from the hatcheries these days. The quality stock is getting harder and harder to find and maintain. I will be winding my part down over the next couple of years and turn it over to someone else. I will probably still hatch eggs for others though. I have very good hatch rates(95% to 100% of all fertile eggs)and can hatch up to 600 at the time. With my health problems and feed prices going through the roof, it's just not as enjoyable as it used to be. I've had birds though for over 40yrs, so I guess you could really call it a lifestyle.

Sorry, the only thing I know about turkeys is how good they are after a trip into the smoker for a few hours.

FT

600 at a time seems like a lot. Do you hatch and then raise them for a few weeks and then pass them on to onother member of the raising group? Does everyone in the state have to register with the inspecting office even when they raise a few chickens a year? In Illinois people are not suppose to raise butterflies unless they are certified and have extreme enclosures to make sure they don't escape.
How far back in time does your Heritage Rhode Island Reds go back and who were the ones that bred the originals. What species did they evolve from. What country did they originate in? What are a few of the other Heritage varieties? I'm not a cop :lol: just interested in Heritage stock of anything. I grew Native Wildflowers as a hobby for the Illinois Department Of Natural Resources and County Forest Preserves. Grew "Endangered" and "Threatened" species. My bushwacking/hiking skills come from being in the forested and prairie remnant areas seaching, monitoring and collecting seeds of endangered species.

FireTamer

Postby FireTamer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:01 pm

Here are a couple of links that will answer most of you questions...

Brief history and info > http://www.omlet.us/breeds/chickens/rhode+island+red/

Here is the guy I consider to be one of the most knowledgeable with the breed. He was a godsend in helping me reduce my flock due to no longer being able to take care of the amount of birds I had. > http://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/

My particular birds came from a top US breeder in Georgia. They were very hard to get and I had to be put on a waiting list. He is also very dedicated and knowledgeable to the breed.

I keep the NPIP and hatching license to avoid any possible problems with shipping chicks and eggs across state lines. It's also nice to have them checked for other possible diseases while they are here. I am very strict about my birds. I have what folks call a closed flock. Any birds that leave here are not allowed back on the property(Chicks only from another group member less than 3days old OK).

Yes, I mostly share back and forth with the group to keep the strain fresh. Extras are shared with others if they meet expectations. Sub par birds are culled(doesn't necessarily mean destroyed)to ensure only the fittest and with the best confirmation survive into the future. I also don't tolerate mean birds(man beaters). They are immediately destroyed! I don't want that gene passed down. My birds are like a bunch of spoiled puppies...lol. You have to shove them out of the way to get into their pen.

I usually don't hatch that many RIR's at the time. There are a few NPIP farmers around here that will call me and want 500 to 600 chicks hatched ASAP. They are picked up immediately upon removal from the incubator. They just don't want to or don't have the time to do it themselves. Plus, it don't pay half bad. I only brood chicks for myself or someone else in the group. The wife is not particularly happy when we have to stay home due to eggs/chicks.

I'm by no means an expert, but it's certainly been a learning experience. One that I've very much enjoyed!

FT

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:10 pm

Thank you very much for the insight into your hobby, very interesting.

Here in Illinois some hog farmers if not all, won't even allow visitors to enter their property. The owners will meet you at their gate and talk there. Some have mobile home trailers at their entrance for visitors where they meet and talk, cut deals etc. :mrgreen: very strict health concerns, no walk in organisms wanted usually carried in on shoes and clothing.

I'll have a good read at the links you've given....thanks!

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:34 pm

I was searching this thread, looking at photos in an album and look what came into view. Oops56 would be green with envy :mrgreen:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:49 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: , I have too much stuff. I need to start thinning out the gears starting with lanterns and tents. Maybe I will start a Harley fund :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”