GI Joe Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
ConnieD

Re: GI Joe Stove

Postby ConnieD » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:07 pm

It just needs to conform to issued equipment.

What do you mean?

People are sending over all kinds of things: gear, armor plate, kit.

The soldiers are buying that stuff.

There are also many websites with "military only" sections, requiring registration and login, to purchase.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:37 am

JRoger, all the info you gave is totally helpfull to me and many of our readers out there. I will pass this info on to my friend up in Wisconsin that inquired specificall about getting a stove to someone deployed.

A big THANK YOU for your time devoted to the security of our "HOMELAND"

You said soldiers now have canteens, what about the cup and stove base?

What is inside a mre that you could drink hot, instant coffee or tea?

Was JP5 fuel available for vehicles in your unit or was everyone on foot? A small can of sand with JP5 should work well. A pot support of somekind could be made from something scrounged.

A month or two ago I gave some super stoves away to a postal worker that was a member of the National Guard. He said his unit had access to JP5 and work well in the Super Stoves. I have not talked to him in depth since he went for his weekend training with the stoves. He's a behind the counter postal clerk at our main post office where I have to take all my international oders for mailing. always too many people in line for me to spend any time talking non postal stuff :roll:

JP5 is a blend of kerosene used for jet fuel. I was thinking maybe it's used in diesel engines also??? anyone know about that.

Several stoves of mine will work under the military cup.

A stainless steel cup, beans and rice from a mre and water would make soup. heat with Fancee Feest stove and you have "Hot Wets" add salt/pepper to taste.

Edit:

From google

Diesel Fuel
Diesel fuel is any fuel designed to be used in a diesel engine. Most diesel fuel is refined from crude oil, but increasingly, diesel made from biomass or natural gas is becoming available.
JP5
JP5 fuel is a jet-propulsion fuel made to strict military specifications. Based on kerosene, the most significant difference between JP5 and other jet fuels is it has a higher flash point and is required for use on carrier-based aircraft.
Availability
JP5 fuel is widely available around the world and meets military specifications for NATO, the United States, Great Britain and other countries. Diesel fuel is also available worldwide but which grade or grades are available in any particular spot is determined more by the climate or season of the year than the types of diesel engines in which the fuel will be used. Thinner grades or fuels with special anti-gel additives are required to keep the fuel from gelling in cold weather areas.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:38 am

I understand canteen and the stove base and lid are issued, but often the lid and stove base are thrown away.

The Fancee Feest works well with the limited air movement up that one stove base opening?

The MRE's are loaded with cardboard, tough brown plastic and redundant items like plastic utensils, S/P in every box.

Most soldiers will "field strip" their MRE's down to what they will actually eat.

How many cardboard boxes and tough plastic pouches and paper packets do you see?

Not only that, there are plastic pouches inside each cardboard box.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:14 am

The Fancee Feest works well with the limited air movement up that one stove base opening?

Yes, initial tests will boil 2 cups with 20ml/2/3 oz. of denatured alcohol.

I'll ask around and see if JP5 is available here in IL. Even if it doesn't burn clean it would still be a viable fuel for soldiers so they can have some hot wets when needed.

I would think the carboard box could be used as fuel to at least warm up some water.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:55 am

zelph, Yes, initial tests will boil 2 cups with 20ml/2/3 oz. of denatured alcohol.

It will do that, in the military-issue stainless steel canteen cup?

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:40 pm

ConnieD wrote:
It just needs to conform to issued equipment.

What do you mean?

People are sending over all kinds of things: gear, armor plate, kit.

The soldiers are buying that stuff.

There are also many websites with "military only" sections, requiring registration and login, to purchase.

I meant that it should be useable with something every soldier carrys already. (Such as their canteen cup)

I never had access to any kind of fuel or kerosene. You have to realize that the majority of our armed forces consist of infantry. Guys on foot, with only what they carry on their back to provide for their needs.
If someone has access to JP5, or diesel, or whatever, then they probably have access to a vehicle and can drive/catch a ride to where there is hot food or they can use the vehicle to heat things for them without the need of a stove. Also even if you have JP5 available, you have to convince they supply guy that you have a legitimate need for it. You also have to convince NCO's and officers that you and everyone else can and will use it responsibly. Not an easy task.

So while I applaud your efforts, my suggestion is to keep it simple. I was never issued a canteen stand/stove. I had canteens and a canteen cup. That was it. A canteen stand/stove is a comfort, not a necessity. As such, not everyone is issued one. Even if it were issued many would not carry it due to weight and the issue of trying to get your canteen in/out of the pouch becomes a royal pain. Not all issued gear is used. Many times it sits back at base.

Again, keep it simple and only use fuel that any troop could find in the field. Essentially, backpacking principals apply, except that you regularly get supplied with MRE's and water.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:34 pm

So called "Freezer Bag Cooking" is so much easier than a MRE.

Maybe people could send FBC "care packages"?

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:38 pm

I'm on a fact finding mission here :D We're getting somewhere now that we know a few things.

I conclude that alcohol stoves are not an item to be sending to a soldier.

I'm sure that the cup and stove are being used by the military in cold climates and have fuel available for them. No need to a new pop can stove to be added to their issue. ;)

From what we see, the military cup and stove are being used primarily by private citizens. The GI surplus is certainly worthy of personal use by many. The cup and stove are very robust to say the least.

Connie, the Fancee Feest works well in the stove under the GI stainless cup. 20ml under ideal conditions boils 2 cups of water. Field conditions will vary, a windscreen is always necessary for best efficiency.

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:18 pm

If you want to get technical about it, MRE bags are some of the first "freezer bag cooking" meals. Most of the MRE plastic bags are actually a foil pouch. It is ideal for heating a number of ways, (including the autoclaves that are used to sterilize the food in production).

Now as far as fuel goes, this one of the reasons I say you should get information on the unit you want to send stoves to. If if is a medical battalion, then they will have a constant supply of alcohol. If it is combat engineers, then they may have access to denatured alcohol for painting. If it is an air wing then they will spend their down time in the rear at base. Armored divisions will have access to petroleum, if if is logistics, they will spend their time at command posts, etc. etc.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:36 pm

I think MRE's are more like boil-in-a-bag meals.

I have tasted them. I think they are universally horrible, with some selections worse than others.

I sent my brother oatmeal cookies, he said arrived in crumbs but the crumbs tasted really good.

I think sending good tasting food is a great "mail call".

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”