New 2.5 ounce StarLyte burner

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

New 2.5 ounce StarLyte burner

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:57 am

Someone wanted a burner to use as aan alcohol backup for a wood burning bushbuddy stove. I made this one up today and did a quick test to see how it burns in the BB firebox. All went well. Burner holds 2.5 ounces of fuel and won't spill out once filled. Test will proceed slowly. I'm getting busy with lots of projects. :roll:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Hamper

Re: New 2.5 ounce StarLyte burner

Postby Hamper » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Hey zelph,

What do you use for the screen material at the top? I want to try to build something similar, but I'm new to the stove making hobby and couldn't find anything via the search option. Thanks!

Hamper

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Try thrift stores,dollar stores, or walmart for stainless-steel-screen "kitchen sieves". http://www.fotosearch.com/CSP422/k4228591/ ..what I use.Of course the bigger thew better and more screen.At thrift stores they are usually $1-2 and one will do several stoves.Most can be cut with a sturdy pair of scissors.Cut the mesh out of the steel frame,stretch it square(it can pull oblong on you),mark it with a sharpie,and cut out the circle you need.Craft stores sometimes have more expensive brass and copper screen material.

With this stove,I actually even used the crossbars under the screen for making the potstand.I've also used a circle from a kitchen range hood vent screen for a thicker one,about 1/4" thick.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Yes, like Realityguy says, search the thrift stores for sieves used to strain veggies and spaghetti. Sink drain sieves can be bought in most hardware stores. Kmarts also.

Hamper

Postby Hamper » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks guys! I went to Dollar Tree today at lunch to see if they had any kitchen sieves. While there, I found a 3 pack of wedding tins for a buck! I also found next to the sieves a grease splatter guard made of the same mesh material. It was flat and looks to have more of the usable material. I cut it out and made a StarLyte type stove with perlite in a matter of minutes! My clinical instructor wanted to see it burn, but all we had was isopropyl alcohol. We couldn't get it to light, so we put more fuel on top. Still no light, so I went to my car and got my backup HEET that I had forgotten about. The stove lit up like a charm and burned for like 20 minutes! I was late to see my first patient because I didn't want to leave it unattended and thought for sure it would go out any minute! Thanks for all the great ideas :-)

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:52 pm

Hamper wrote:Thanks guys! I went to Dollar Tree today at lunch to see if they had any kitchen sieves. While there, I found a 3 pack of wedding tins for a buck! I also found next to the sieves a grease splatter guard made of the same mesh material. It was flat and looks to have more of the usable material. I cut it out and made a StarLyte type stove with perlite in a matter of minutes! My clinical instructor wanted to see it burn, but all we had was isopropyl alcohol. We couldn't get it to light, so we put more fuel on top. Still no light, so I went to my car and got my backup HEET that I had forgotten about. The stove lit up like a charm and burned for like 20 minutes! I was late to see my first patient because I didn't want to leave it unattended and thought for sure it would go out any minute! Thanks for all the great ideas :-)

Glad it worked for you :D

Spatter screen.......forgot all about that, the mesh might be too small, not light quickly ;)

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”