Woodgaz UL wood burning stove.

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
Ridgerunner

Re: Woodgaz UL wood burning stove.

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:43 pm

Hopefully they don't misplace one of those parts and end up with useless pieces of stamped titanium.... :o
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:42 am

Assembling a brand new 5 piece stove is nice. After it's first hot burn it's going to warp and get sooty.
We know the rest of the story :lol:
cussin and dirty hands :mrgreen:

Not so with the Woodgaz ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

AnalogReigns

Postby AnalogReigns » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:58 pm

Stovemeister Zelph: The Woodgaz line, both round and folding, looks terrific indeed. Unfortunately for me, I've joined this blog, and become aware of them, only now that you're not making them anymore!

I would like to attempt my own versions though. Got some questions:

1) Where to get stainless welded mesh/hardware cloth? I've seen industrial suppliers with it, but I really don't want to buy $40+ worth, just to tinker with stoves.... Anyone out there have a smaller quantities to sell?

2) Would standard galvanized hardware cloth work OK too? (Since, out-doors, the danger, I'd think of poison gasses from the zinc is virtually null.)

3) Since/if you're not going to sell the Woodgaz stoves, Zelph, do you have any DIY how-tos or tips? The round version looks fairly easy, but the folding version (which works the best, right?) appears like the hinges are a bit complicated.

I have an idea of a mod for the woodgaz design for getting air to the center, which I'd like to try out.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Welcome to bplite my fellow woodgaz stove maker:-)

Take a look at this video and listen to it to see if he tells how he makes the hinges. I'm pretty sure he used the galvanized hardware cloth.

The expense of the tainless steel is what made me discontinue the folding stove. Making the tubular barrel hinges is difficult also.Lots of labor involved.

Do a search for "J" clips. it's an alternative to making your own.

To get air to enter the center of the stove fill the stove around a 1" diameter twig that is placed in the center. Once the stove is filled, remove the center twig.

Never have seen anyone offer small pieces of stainless hardware cloth. I've used all of mine up....sorry. :(

Ask more questions :-) Welcome to the forum!!! :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:07 pm

Ball point pen spring hinges? I wonder how well they will holdup to heat over time?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Ball point pen spring hinges? I wonder how well they will holdup to heat over time?

Only he can tell us :D I would hope that he has used it a lot to let us know. I would suspect they will fail after 5-10 good burns. Loose their temper and then twist out of shape when assembling the stove. Maybe :? Heavier stainless springs would be nice.

FireTamer

Postby FireTamer » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm

I'm sure glad I got one before you retired them. Truly a work of art that not only works but works well. The Woodgaz and the Zelph woodstove have both exceeded my expectations and brought much enjoyment. I have a few wood burners but these are my favorites. Now I just have to make sure that I don't lose it like I did that camera last week(I would be highly upset...lol).

Be Good,

FT

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:52 pm

FireTamer wrote:I'm sure glad I got one before you retired them. Truly a work of art that not only works but works well. The Woodgaz and the Zelph woodstove have both exceeded my expectations and brought much enjoyment. I have a few wood burners but these are my favorites. Now I just have to make sure that I don't lose it like I did that camera last week(I would be highly upset...lol).

Be Good,
FT

Glad you have both and know how well they work. :D

The Zelph Wood stove came after the Woodgaz. What I learned while making the woodgaz was applied to the Zelph Wood stove.

The video that comes with the purchase of the Woodgaz is really helpful. It's kinda like "insurance" that you will have successful ignition and enjoy the way it burns with less smoke. If we take our time in loading a stove with dry twigs of the appropriate size and then placing small tinder size twigs on top along with some sort of ignition material such as telephone book paper, also known as dual purpose toilet paper ;) or Vaselined cotton balls aka PJ Cb's etc. The entire surface of the load needs to be ignited so the heat can start the pyrolysis process. Once the process starts, we begin to have what is called the principle of "harmonic thermal feedback"

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:46 pm

AnalogReigns , hey analog, where did you go???

Did all this info put you on overload :o

Ohhh Gee!!!!

AnalogReigns

Postby AnalogReigns » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:42 am

No no, I'm here, just a busy week, that's all. THANK YOU Zelph for your welcome, and for link to the vid. When I'm able to take the time, I'll work on building my own stove, and post my results here. You guys all seem great!

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”