Zelph's "GoTo" Alcohol Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
realityguy

Re: Zelph's "GoTo" Alcohol Stove

Postby realityguy » Sat May 01, 2010 12:47 am

I like just a few bubbles coming up the middle of a pot of water,say a 1"-1-1/4" circle of fire for me..but..that won't work for yours as a scale... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

timcarouge

Postby timcarouge » Sun May 02, 2010 10:19 am

I wanted to respond to the question "Who simmers ?"
When I travel (backpacking or bike touring) I like to cook real food. Dehydrated has never done it for me. I only us it when all I need is calories, and pleasure takes the back seat.

So yes, simmering is a great plus, keep up the good work in this department.

As far as the ideal simmering temperature is concerned, I'd say an 185° water temp with 2 cups of water would be good, so that larger quantities would be lower.

As a side note, I got your superstove and made some tests with different pots. The best one so far is the Vargo titanium Sierra cup w/lid (750ml) that boils 2 cups in approx. 7 minutes with 10 grams of fuel (less than half an ounce). Second was a Primus Etapower (w/fins) 1.2l pot in 8min. The Etapower pot boils 4 cups in 15 minutes with less than an ounce of fuel (20 grams).

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 02, 2010 11:52 am

Dan..You can probably judge the simmer mode of the burner with a pot of water on top and watch the bubbles in the pot ,adjust the ring to the bubbles being very tiny and the burner just barely putting them out at the diameter of the flame or only occasional bubbles..just enough where to won't burn the food but hot enough to keep things cooking...after the boil.Of course you can't do that with food in the pot but a person can get to know exactly what is required and where the simmer ring has to sit to accomplish that.Of course you know that. :roll: With experience of using the ring,you can get a full range of cooking temperatures..regardless of conditions less than hurricanes and monsoons. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 02, 2010 10:59 pm

Ridgerunner made a comment in a PM about the simmer sleeve, raise it to adjust heat output. etc. Right now the simmer sleeve is at max height for max simmer when put in place around the stove. There is no adjustment. So his comment told me I needed to make the simmer sleeve shorter so the flame height could have more that one setting. Making it shorter will also make it usable with the Super Stoves...Bud bottle, Mountain Dew and Venom. His idea comes too late :o I made up enough simmer sleeves to correspond with the amount of stoves made (48)I'll try cutting 1/2" off of them and see how they turn out. Cutting them once they've been corrugated will be an experience :D :roll: If it works, we're in tall cotton. ;) If not I need to make new ones :D

Look what "timcarouge" came up with:

As a side note, I got your superstove and made some tests with different pots. The best one so far is the Vargo titanium Sierra cup w/lid (750ml) that boils 2 cups in approx. 7 minutes with 10 grams of fuel (less than half an ounce). Second was a Primus Etapower (w/fins) 1.2l pot in 8min. The Etapower pot boils 4 cups in 15 minutes with less than an ounce of fuel (20 grams).

Those are excellent times :D just a side note: the original super stove was short, holding only 1/2 ounce fuel, it was extremely efficient. I made it taller to accommodate 1 ounce of fuel.

Thanks for the feedback "timcarouge" :D

Tim, how do you judge your stove's simmering heat and what stove have you used in the past to simmer?

RG, is right about practicing to become good at simmering. You have to do a lot of cooking to get it down pat. Gotta know your stove under different conditions.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

timcarouge

Postby timcarouge » Mon May 03, 2010 4:26 pm

Those are excellent times :D just a side note: the original super stove was short, holding only 1/2 ounce fuel, it was extremely efficient. I made it taller to accommodate 1 ounce of fuel.

I might have to special order a Super(efficient) stove too. If I use the Vargo 750ml Sierra, I don't even need a half ounce to boil 2 cups

Tim, how do you judge your stove's simmering heat and what stove have you used in the past to simmer?

As far as determining the right simmer temperature.... I live in Switzerland most of the time, and many Swiss recipes call for 2-3hours of simmering at 80°C (176°F), so that's why I was shooting for that temp. I suggested 185°F with 2 cups, so that greater quantities wouldn't be quite as hot. You can also nicely bake at that temperature and shouldn't scorch brown rice, or barley for example.

For measuring and testing, I used a Featherlight stove and a laser temperature gun we use for foaming equipment (to measure surface temperatures).

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 03, 2010 5:54 pm

and many Swiss recipes call for 2-3hours of simmering at 80°C (176°F), so that's why I was shooting for that temp.

Wow!!! that's a long time for simmering. I purchased an infr red heat sensing device today to help me be more scientific. :D Thanks for the information on how you arrived at the temperature.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon May 03, 2010 8:17 pm

many Swiss recipes call for 2-3hours of simmering at 80°C (176°F), so that's why I was shooting for that temp.

That is a long time in the field to wait for food. I would probably fall asleep waiting for dinner. :lol: then again, that might just depend on what we are simmering. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 03, 2010 8:25 pm

many Swiss recipes call for 2-3hours of simmering at 80°C (176°F), so that's why I was shooting for that temp.

Must be the Swiss cheese or Swiss chocolate fondue...or they are shooting bear and making stew... :o

I'm a poet.. :lol:

Tamerlin

Postby Tamerlin » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:20 am

I went out to Mt. Rainier this afternoon for a short trip. For food I took my Goto stove and a small Ziploc container with some dehydrated food (marinated ground beef, bell pepper, onion, couscous with Thai curry power, quite yummy :)) and water.

The only flaw in this plan is that the stove refused to light. Sparks from the firestarter weren't working, so I tried a match, still no dice. I even put some alcohol directly on the wick and tried lighting that both with sparks from the firestarter and with a lit match, still no dice.

Until tonight, the Goto was my favorite stove; I've tried it a few times at home with considerable success (I even made a batch of pancakes with it, which worked well once I figured out how much to throttle back the flame to cook the pancakes without burning them), so I don't know what went wrong.

Any ideas? I'm out of them. :(
Rakesh Malik, Photographer/Owner
White Crane Photography, LLC
http://www.WhiteCranePhotography.com

Support my Art for Clean Air fun raiser:
http://indiegogo.com/WhiteCraneClimb

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:35 am

I even put some alcohol directly on the wick and tried lighting that both with sparks from the firestarter and with a lit match, still no dice.

Tamerlin, are you sure someone didn't switch your fuel for water as a practical joke :?: Any chance water got to your stove? I'm clueless as to how one can set a match directly to alcohol soaked wick and light a match to it and it not burn :shock: Must be the bad fuel excuse we hear from time to time. :roll: Have you tried the stove since you've been back home?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”