Group Size Bottle Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Group Size Bottle Stove

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:58 pm

I created a "Group Size" aluminum bottle stove for multiple backpackers or group outings. It's made from a recycled aluminum beverage bottle. Hold 5oz of fuel. Blossoms in 20 seconds. Next to it is the "Cobalt" stove to show size comparison. I'll have more info on it soon and video to show moving "flame". I did some tests on this design today and will tweek it a tad to see if I can get it to blossom sooner. No primer pan or wick is needed. Nice even heating pattern. It's burning Denatured Alcohol, nice and clean. It's a one piece stove, no pot stand required, just put the pot on top of the stove.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Re: Group Size Bottle Stove

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:03 pm

Zelph, I never knew you left ! :lol: :DP:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:07 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Zelph, I never knew you left ! :lol: :DP:

Camping I was!!!!! :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:45 pm

I did some modifications and it works better.

5oz. fuel capacity
blooms in 18 seconds without primer pan or wick attached like the other bottle stoves on the market. Having to prime a stove wastes fuel!!!!

Not pot stand required, user friendly.

Second test after modifications:

Knotty

Postby Knotty » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:19 pm

Bloomed faster than I would have expected for a stove holding 5oz of fuel. Nice.

If you could find a way to stabilize the base that would be good. This one's pretty tall and tippy so something that would give it a bigger foot print would be helpful. I'd get nervous knowing that 5oz of burning fuel could be spilled if this stove goes over.

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:57 pm

Knotty wrote:If you could find a way to stabilize the base that would be good. This one's pretty tall and tippy so something that would give it a bigger foot print would be helpful.

I have an idea on that.
Start with a Venom bottle - neck it down to the diameter of the Bud bottle - then roll inward. Some annealing between steps may be required, and the necking process will probably require several small incremental steps.

Or "simply" (LOL) expand the base diameter of the Bud bottle before the roll in operation. This might be possible hydraulically in a "high pressure blow molding" type of fixture.
I don't know as I would go so far as to try fireforming (in the way wildcat rifle cartridges are expanded) - but some of them have been known to have been done hydraulically as well.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:26 pm

Knotty wrote:Bloomed faster than I would have expected for a stove holding 5oz of fuel. Nice.

If you could find a way to stabilize the base that would be good. This one's pretty tall and tippy so something that would give it a bigger foot print would be helpful. I'd get nervous knowing that 5oz of burning fuel could be spilled if this stove goes over.

That's something I never really gave much thought to. we need to have a discussion on this matter.

When does an item/stove get to the tippy point? How does it's weight effect the equation? When it's empty and when it's full?

I would speculate at this point that one might consider using a 1/2" hardware cloth pot support for the pot when going up and over the 3 ounce quantity.
In the test video I had one ounce of fuel in the stove. My next test will be 5 ounces of fuel to see how it goes.

Here are some photos of the die and bottles. the die goes on top and is compressed to form the stove.

timcarouge

Postby timcarouge » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:55 pm

Now that you've got a big bottle stove in your stable, you can start work on a mini Budlyte stove for simmering. You might have to change the name to HairSprayLyte, or MazolaLyte, or Deoderator, or something like that ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:39 am

timcarouge wrote:Now that you've got a big bottle stove in your stable, you can start work on a mini Budlyte stove for simmering. You might have to change the name to HairSprayLyte, or MazolaLyte, or Deoderator, or something like that ;)

You're getting to know me too well :lol:

Name it after the container it was made from, easy!!!!! :D

I did a test with 5 ounces of fuel. Failed.............jets were too close to the fuel line. The modification lowered the jet holes :o Hummph!!!!! I'll test it with 4 ounces today.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:34 pm

The group size is getting smaller :lol:

Here is a brief video of the 5oz test:

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”