The StarLyte Alcohol Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
Ridgerunner

Re: The StarLyte Alcohol Stove

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:30 am

You're going to like the lit'l buger, Jester. I like to remove the stand and use the inversion method to fill with fuel and then replace the pot supports ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:52 am

New stoves are are always exciting. ;) Deserving of a double dancing bananna :mrgreen:

RR, what do you put your fuel into for the inversion filling?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:50 pm

zelph wrote:
RR, what do you put your fuel into for the inversion filling?

The medicine cup, of course ;) you turned me on to that method before you decided to add the attached pot stand.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Silly me :D Now I remember :shock: That was introduced over at whiteblaze.net. I have to go check to see when the thread was started.

The Stalyte thread was started: 10-26-2006, 20:51 #1

Whoa, 6 years ago. Time flies when your having fun :DB:

Funny thing.....remember how the fuel bottle is filled that comes with the Caldera Cone????? it's inverted, squeezed and put into a dish of fuel :DB: and the fuel gets sucked out of the dish up into the bottle. sooooo, when you said inverted I envisioned you turning the Starlyte upside down and putting in a dish of fuel so the absorbing material would suck it up :shock:

JesterJosev

Postby JesterJosev » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:41 pm

Oh yea this thing looks cool, question regarding "inversion filling" :oops: , how do you do this? I want to look old hat at this game in the video. ;)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:08 pm

JesterJosev wrote:Oh yea this thing looks cool, question regarding "inversion filling" :oops: , how do you do this? I want to look old hat at this game in the video. ;)

Fill medicine cup with desired amount of fuel. I then pulled pot support out of the Starlyte and set the fiberglass side of the Starlyte on top of the medicine cup. Carefully squeeze the cup and burner together with your thumb and forefinger and then invert them while maintaining pressure and let the fuel absorb into the Starlyte. Then replace the pot support and let the good times burn. The original Starlyte did not have an integrated pot support so it was easier to use this method. Then came the grommet in the center of the Fiberglas for filling and then the metal screen cover replacing the fiberglass cover. I'm not sure if I have the chronological order of improvements right but the inversion fueling method worked easily with each modification until Zelph integrated the pot support as part of the Starlyte. The grommet fuel port may have been added after the integrated pot support to assist in fueling the stove. Such a simple stove and one of my favorites!

JesterJosev

Postby JesterJosev » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:13 pm

I have a cooking thermometer and a postage scale so I’m in the process of doing a few trials/descriptions, and I’m curious to the maximum alcohol capacity of the Starlyte. It’s about 5°C where I’am in at night.
Two tests
- 30ml denatured alcohol
- 250ml ambient temperature water
- Windscreen (fully enclosed, radius of stove plus 5cm)
- Energy can pot

Prime conditions test – ~21°C
Shoulder season test-~5°C

I'm looking forwards to getting to the tests after work, what other hobby do you get a hot chocolate after gathering data?

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:20 pm

I'm looking forwards to getting to the tests after work, what other hobby do you get a hot chocolate after gathering data?

Only stove makers and users are rewarded like that. :D

I received this email from a satisfied user of the StarLyte Stove:

Dan,

Just got back from my NOBO PCT thru-hike and return SOBO GDMBR thru-ride. I purchased and used your Starlyte for 7 months and it is simple genius; efficient, no spill, no worry.

Thanks for being smart.

:D That kind of feedback makes me smile and keeps me interested in making stoves :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Got an email from someone asking how to make the StarLyte simmer. Here is video that will explain.

By cutting the top edge off a Fancey Feast cat food can you can make a simmer device for your stove. This video will show you how to cut the top off and what the flame looks like under the pot. Bench tests say it will hold the water temp at 205 degrees with lid off the pot.

Place Starlyte inside the cut down can centered and light. Wait a few seconds for it to warm up and then place pot onto pot support.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:13 pm

zelph wrote:Got an email from someone asking how to make the StarLyte simmer. Here is video that will explain.

By cutting the top edge off a Fancey Feast cat food can you can make a simmer device for your stove. This video will show you how to cut the top off and what the flame looks like under the pot. Bench tests say it will hold the water temp at 205 degrees with lid off the pot.

Place Starlyte inside the cut down can centered and light. Wait a few seconds for it to warm up and then place pot onto pot support.

When I click the above film clip, it takes me to your photobucket acct. but there is no vid. What gives?

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”