The StarLyte Alcohol Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Re: The StarLyte Alcohol Stove

Postby zelph » Tue May 10, 2011 11:02 pm

The basic StarLyte is a favorite. It's ability to absorb and control release of vapor is unique. Very comforting to know the fuel will not spill out. The fibers are positioned vertically to draw the fuel upward. Plumbers cloth is limited to the amount of vertical lift of fuel. On shallow stoves it's ok, but for deeper stoves/burners it will leave fuel at the bottom of the container. Stove will go out befor all fuel is used.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 22, 2011 7:58 am

I made 3 of these new size stoves and did a few tests haphazardly when I could squeeze in a few min. It holds 3 ounces of fuel in suspension, burns for 30 min. Weighs 1.4 ounces

Big Brother to the StarLyte
Attachments
StarLyte's Big Brother 001.jpg

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 22, 2011 10:06 am

I like your Companion Stove. I think I would like this one, zelph.

What are the dimensions? What would it fit inside?

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun May 22, 2011 1:26 pm

StarBryte? :)

Does the pot stand come off for storage or is it permanent?
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 22, 2011 3:12 pm

The stove is 2.25 dia. x 2.75 inches tall

The stove fits inside a Snow Peak 600 mug and the mug fits inside a Kmart Grease pot.

The pot support is considered permanent, not the easiest thing to take it off and replace it. When I'm hungry, I want to dump in the fuel, heat water and eat......I'm probably munching on something while the water is heating. Some raisins or single wrap prunes :mrgreen:

I like the name "StarBryte :D
Attachments
StarLyte's Big Brother 004.jpg
StarLyte's Big Brother 003.jpg

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:37 pm

I received my StarLyte alcohol stove.

The instructions tell to leave 2" all around the stove to the EZ Fold Windscreen.

That much?

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:50 pm

ConnieD wrote:I received my StarLyte alcohol stove.

The instructions tell to leave 2" all around the stove to the EZ Fold Windscreen.

That much?

That's a good rule of thumb to start with. Never deny your stove oxygen. Move it closer as you get familiar with the stove.

We don't want users choking the stove.

Remember the video I did of showing how air flowing under a windscreen causes a nice column of fire when enough air is let in? That video shows how the flame becomes erratic when the windscreen is lowered and air has to come in over the top edge and go downward to reach the stove. Hot air is rising and cold air coming over the top edge collide and make for a mess of air going every which way causing turbulance. Keeping the windscreen 2" away gives plenty of room for air to enter over the top edge and proceed to go downward along the windscreen wall while the hot air is rising up along the stove and pot. The hot and cold air kinda rub shoulders with each other in a gentle way.

The EZ-Fold does not have enough air entering the bottom holes to provide all the air needed. It has lots of holes, lots more than other manufactures of windscreens.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:14 pm

I have raised my EZ Fold Windscreen 1/4-inch at the base, by using long bobby pins.

It enhances the double blue flame of the Super Stove inside the Woodgaz Folding Wood Stove.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:48 pm

ConnieD wrote:I have raised my EZ Fold Windscreen 1/4-inch at the base, by using long bobby pins.

It enhances the double blue flame of the Super Stove inside the Woodgaz Folding Wood Stove.

That's a good idea. Good tip ;) thank you. Paper clips work well also. dual purpose items....I like it!!! :D

JesterJosev

Postby JesterJosev » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:41 pm

Woooooo! :DB: *New Stove Dance* :DB:

I just got my StarLyte stove in the mail today! I have yet to fire it up, but expect a Youtube video shortly.

-'ol Jester

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”