The StarLyte Alcohol Stove

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
cruiser

Re: The StarLyte Alcohol Stove

Postby cruiser » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:12 am

I have a question that has been nagging me... Will a Starlyte burn kerosene?

I suspect the answer is "no" due to a combination of too much exposed "wick" surface area and not enough thermal feedback, but then I remembered you saying somewhere that the old doodah ROF stove could burn kero.

Just wondering.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:22 am

It will burn kero and dirty up your pot bottom. The ring of fire was able to burn it clean when using the foster or Heineken. The Super Stove can burn it also if the pot support is cut down 1/4 inch.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:00 am

Hmmm. Not the answer I expected. Interesting.

I realize you would be probably making a best guess, but would you say the Starlyte doesn't burn it clean because with keros lower vapor pressure, the available vapors just aren't getting a sufficient supply of air/vigorous mixing of air.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:53 am

For instance, the cut down pot support for the Super Stove reduces the amount of oxygen to the fuel being made available at the wick source. I guess it has to do with the regulation of air mix to fuel. At times I'm made to think about how the wick of a candle needs to be trimmed shorter to burn cleaner or the height of a wick in an oil lamp needs to be lowered in order to burn clean. If the wick in an oil lamp is too high it will cause soot to blacken the glass chimney.

Mybe, if the pot support on the StarLyte stove was shortened to 1/4" it might burn kerosene cleanly. Gee! now you got my curiosity up on this :o Do you think I should try it in the name of stove science?

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:23 pm

Lol. I do EVERYTHING in the name of science.
"Honey, why did you burn the toast?" Reply: "Science!"

I'm also spitball wondering if a reverse choke would help kero work with the Starlyte. IOW instead of making a smaller center "burn hole", as in your simmer ring and modified version, what if you blocked the center leaving open an outer "burn ring". Might still leave the question of sufficient thermal feedback unresolved though. Maybe that center choke dot could be made of copper?

When I lived in Africa I had a multi-fuel stove. I miss the versatility. When I hiked the PCT and rode the CDT I could not always find alcohol and it got me dreaming.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:19 pm

cruiser wrote:Lol. I do EVERYTHING in the name of science.
"Honey, why did you burn the toast?" Reply: "Science!"

I'm also spitball wondering if a reverse choke would help kero work with the Starlyte. IOW instead of making a smaller center "burn hole", as in your simmer ring and modified version, what if you blocked the center leaving open an outer "burn ring". Might still leave the question of sufficient thermal feedback unresolved though. Maybe that center choke dot could be made of copper?

When I lived in Africa I had a multi-fuel stove. I miss the versatility. When I hiked the PCT and rode the CDT I could not always find alcohol and it got me dreaming.

That's definitely worth a try, good thinking.

Realityguy made a 2 stage alcohol stove. can't remember the name of it. The center portion was for a simmer mode. The center portion would not ignite till the outer section consumed all it's fuel for the boiling of his 2 cups. That showed us the fuel in the center does not burn for the most part because there is no oxygen present until the outer ring of fire goes out.

I've tried making a StarLyte simmer by placing a solid disc in the center but there is so much vapor coming off the hot surface and body of the stove that there was very little noticeable reduction in flame.

Most of my experience with kerosene told me an exposed wick is necessary for ignition. A StarLyte with kerosene might be ignitable with a jet butane lighter like my little Coleman.

Yikes, I'm going to have to experiment :D

As it stands, the Vemon Super Stove can be made to use kerosene and alcohol. When using alcohol in it, the burn rate is decreased because of the shortened pot support.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:15 pm

My Super Stove cut-down pot support for "white gas" was big flames, if I removed the cookware pan.

If you try keroscene, do it outdoors on a non-flammable driveway, as I did.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:26 pm

ConnieD wrote:My Super Stove cut-down pot support for "white gas" was big flames, if I removed the cookware pan.

If you try keroscene, do it outdoors on a non-flammable driveway, as I did.

Yes, it's amazing how the flames go sky high when the pot is removed.

I did 2 quick tests with kerosene and the StarLyte burner, first with a "simmer" and then with the "original" Used 1/4oz kerosene for each test. The first had lots of soot on the pot bottom, the second had much less. Used different height pot supports. Kerosene had a distinct fragrance when it's used as in a wick type stove. ;)

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:45 pm

LOL. I should have figured you've tried the "center-choke" idea.

Have you ever tried a center draft, donut style stove with the starlyte filler?

"an exposed wick is necessary for ignition".

If I read old posts and discoveries from the Alladin heater project properly, that exposed wick needs to be kept as small as possible, correct? Have you divulged what material you use as a wick in your super stoves/etc?

(PS: I dont see the new larger burners in your store. Are they hidden?)

"If you try keroscene, do it outdoors on a non-flammable driveway, as I did." My wife thanks you kindly in advance!

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:11 pm

cruiser wrote:LOL. I should have figured you've tried the "center-choke" idea.

Have you ever tried a center draft, donut style stove with the starlyte filler?

"an exposed wick is necessary for ignition".

If I read old posts and discoveries from the Alladin heater project properly, that exposed wick needs to be kept as small as possible, correct? Have you divulged what material you use as a wick in your super stoves/etc?

(PS: I dont see the new larger burners in your store. Are they hidden?)

"If you try keroscene, do it outdoors on a non-flammable driveway, as I did." My wife thanks you kindly in advance!

No, have not tried using the StarLyte absorbing material in a donut style stove. It would be difficult putting it into the stove to maintain vertical orientation of the fibers.

Yes, super stoves use " exhaust header wrap" it's in the thread budlyte super stove .

Alladin stove wicks are cotton and fiberglass combo Yes, raise the wick for lighting and then lower to perfection :D

Large StarLyes need to have more testing before going into the store. I also need to do some testing of a 3" diameter carbon felt insulator for warm weather insulation to prevent radiant heat from heating up the surface of the burner. Not sure it will need it but just a precaution. Your safety is my 1st concern ;) The disc will also be a means of simmering. Thank you for your patience :D

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”