"Cobalt" stove for Heineken pot AKA "Cobalt Blue Soloist"

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Re: "Cobalt" stove for Heineken pot

Postby zelph » Sat May 09, 2009 10:47 pm

I listed both the "Cobalt" and "Cobalt Blue" on ebay if anyone is interested. Search Cobalt Blue alcohol stove
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat May 09, 2009 11:53 pm

Wouldn't it make more sense to just search "cobalt stove"?..or is ebay's search that messed up these days where you have to hunt for it beyond the "search".. :o ..just wondering.I quit looking at stuff on ebay when they made the search by "best match".
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 10, 2009 7:00 pm

realityguy wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to just search "cobalt stove"?..or is ebay's search that messed up these days where you have to hunt for it beyond the "search".. :o ..just wondering.I quit looking at stuff on ebay when they made the search by "best match".

It's the way I always do it :D I have 2 listings, they are highlighted and stay at the top of the page.

Added benefit is you get to view all the stoves on sale :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 14, 2009 3:54 pm

I'm starting to get some feedback from recent purchases. Here is what one gentleman had to say:

Got the stove today. All's well. Survived without incident.

Man, I've got to say..... This thing is really nice. Nicest alky stove I've ever used actually. My buddy and I built one last year messing around a little and it didn't work anywhere near as well. As engineer for a living, I'm really impressed with the design and quality of work. Very well built and functions with the entire system extremely well.

Overall, it's a great little, thoroughly thought out package. All the details covered. I made Ramen noodles in it tonight messing around a little. I didn't really check boil times or efficiency yet but even with 91% Isoprop it easily boiled 2cups with 3/4oz fuel with PLENTY of time remaining (starting with 50*'ish water). Stove blooms nearly instantly and gets through it's warm up phase very quickly.

Tobit

Postby Tobit » Fri May 15, 2009 1:49 pm

Received my stove today, very nice Zelph.

I don't have scientific numbers but I filled a Heiny pot with 'Pur' filtered cold tap water and did my first boil with roughly 3/4 oz. of denatured alky. Not sure of the actual amount of water but it was filled to within 1" from the top and the water was pretty cold. I like big cups of tea when on the trail and this is the amount of water I usually boil first thing in camp. The water started achieving a rolling boil at the 11 minute mark and the lid was shaking at 12 minutes. The stove continued to boil up to the 14 minute mark. This testing was done in my kitchen on top of my gas stove - ambient temperature around 74F and I'm about at 800 feet above sea level.

Very nice stove for my collection but I think I still prefer my Fancy Feast stove for some reason. I haven't checked the numbers in awhile but I recall my FF stove attaining slightly better boil times under the same testing conditions. I do like the slightly larger footprint of the FF stove and the Heiny pot seems to fit just a tad better on the FF stove.

Off to try the FF stove again to double check the boil times compared to this Cobalt Blue.

Tobit

Postby Tobit » Fri May 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Boil times the same compared to my Fancy Feast. However, the Cobalt does burn the same amount of fuel for roughly 2m longer.

Tobit

Postby Tobit » Fri May 15, 2009 3:11 pm

Been doing some more testing and I think the Cobalt Blue is growing on me. With a windscreen around my Fancy Feast, the flames like to shoot up the side of my Heiny. However, I don't experience this behavior with the Cobalt Blue and can run a much tighter fit of a windscreen.

I'm going on a day hike tomorrow up to aboot 2800 feet or so and will try it out in situ. :)

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 15, 2009 5:50 pm

Tobit wrote:Been doing some more testing and I think the Cobalt Blue is growing on me. With a windscreen around my Fancy Feast, the flames like to shoot up the side of my Heiny. However, I don't experience this behavior with the Cobalt Blue and can run a much tighter fit of a windscreen.

I'm going on a day hike tomorrow up to aboot 2800 feet or so and will try it out in situ. :)

If the windscreen is too close to your pot air turbulance will be created.(with the FF and CB) Keep the screen open to the max dia. If it's really windy close up the dia. You'll get a feel for it. Any stove will start to get bigger flames as they heat up because of the windscreen being too close.

Have fun on your hike in the upper reaches of your locale. I think the weather should be clear. :D

Thanks a lot for the feed back on the stove.

Tobit

Postby Tobit » Fri May 15, 2009 9:15 pm

zelph wrote:Have fun on your hike in the upper reaches of your locale.

Not quite the upper reaches. Highest here is over 6200 feet but I'm too fat and the moment and my lungs are terrible and, as a result, I hike very slow. I'll get up there one of these days though.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat May 16, 2009 8:32 am

Tobit wrote:
zelph wrote:Have fun on your hike in the upper reaches of your locale.

Not quite the upper reaches. Highest here is over 6200 feet but I'm too fat and the moment and my lungs are terrible and, as a result, I hike very slow. I'll get up there one of these days though.

Take it slowand enjoy every step of the way :D

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”