"E-Z Fold Windscreen" for backpackers

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

"E-Z Fold Windscreen" for backpackers

Postby zelph » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:16 pm

By adding corrugations to .006 dead soft aluminum foil it allows folding it very easy. When using this design in making a windscreen, it helps keep it from kinking and wrinkling. Keeps the windscreen looking good for a long time after repeated folding and opening. When your equipment looks good, it makes you feel good.

Further testing may show that the corrugations may have a positive effect on the reflection of infrared heat rays back to the pot of water. You know, kinda like keeps the rays lined up like little soldiers instead of going every which way in some radical fashion. I'ts speculation at this point, it needs some testing. The aluminum has a mirror finish as compared to a matte finish.

As everyone knows, a windscreen is a must have for alcohol stoves.

I'll be including an "E-Z Fold windscreen with the purchase of the SS StarLyte UltraLyte begining tomorrow.

In the near future I'll be making them available separate at a small cost.

The windscreen on the right is the one included with the beer bottle stove WBS.

ImageImageImage

Video is clickable. (the cannon is brass and iron ;) )
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Re: "E-Z Fold Windscreen" for backpackers

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:31 am

I see you finally got your polished aluminum ;) Great idea on crimping the windscreen for added strength and durability. :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:55 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:I see you finally got your polished aluminum ;) Great idea on crimping the windscreen for added strength and durability. :D

Can you believe a month and a half wait :o

The formation of the corrugations are such that the shape is somewhat cone shaped when put into a circle. Kind cool!!!! :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:28 pm

Did you have a simple way to make the corragations such as a mold/form or did you just do it the old fashion way by hand? I have not seen the video clip yet so if it is in the, I willsee it my next stop at high speed :x
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:57 pm

I had a guy modify a Pasta Making machine to make the corrugations. He machined the rollers that were used for Lasgna noodles. I'm in the process of motorizing it.

I got sidetract burning some wood :D I should be listing some of these and some of the StarLytes on ebay. I got to get my butt in gear and fill some orders. Thanks for the wake-up call ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:46 pm

Here is a video of the windscreen and how easy it unfolds and how easy it is to roll up when done.

Tobit

Postby Tobit » Tue May 12, 2009 5:13 am

Zelph, could you make me one of these windscreens PLEASE? Let me know how much to send via PayPal if you can. Thanks man.

Tobit

Postby Tobit » Tue May 12, 2009 6:58 am

Nevermind. I just ordered a "Cobalt Blue" kit off of your eBay listings. I need another stove like I need a hole in my head but I really like the windscreen and collapsible fuel flask. :lol:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue May 12, 2009 11:40 am

Zelph..watched the video..Appears you need to buy some gloves.. :mrgreen: ..Or buy some Johnson & Johnson Band-aid stock... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 12, 2009 1:11 pm

realityguy wrote:Zelph..watched the video..Appears you need to buy some gloves.. :mrgreen: ..Or buy some Johnson & Johnson Band-aid stock... :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Soot!!!! doesn't hurt at all. The pot is my favorite for use on wood fires and alcohol stoves combined. :DB: :DP: :DB: :DP:

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”