Cutting down a 1 qt Paul Revere tea kettle

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
SSGHawk

Cutting down a 1 qt Paul Revere tea kettle

Postby SSGHawk » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:25 am

DAN,
I am trying to make a super grease pot out of a Paul Revere stainless steel tea kettle with a copper bottom. i purchased two of these and intend one to cut the top of one square leaving a pot with about a 3.5 cup capacity. the second kettle will be cut down to get the piece to try to put iNSIDE t OR OUTSIDE IF NECESSARY IN The top as a strengthening ring to hang my bail and my fold-able handles.

Feel free to tell me that this won''t work, or tell me the best way to cut these and what i will have to get the donor kettle ring to fit inside or outside of the cut down super grease pot. I HAVE A SAWZALL, JIG SAW, HAND GRINDER, AVIATION CUTTER AND THE GENERAL PURPOSE SMALL HAND TOOL WHOSE NAME I CAN NOT RECALL AT THE MOMENT.

WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO SET UP A LITTLE WOODEN JIG THAT WOULD HOLD A HEAVY DUTY BOX CUTTER BLADE AT THE CORRECT HEIGHT AND THEN I HAND TURN THE KETTLE SLOWLY AGAINST THE BLADE CUTTING AN EVER DEEPENING SCORING INTO THE KETTLE AND EVENTUALLY CUTtNG THROUGH?
As always thank for your help and encouragement,
paul french

SSGHawk

Re: Cutting down a 1 qt Paul Revere tea kettle

Postby SSGHawk » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:21 am

Sorry that I posted this post in Zelph's Stoveworks Factory section. I was not paying sufficient attention. Please move this post where it belongs.

zelph

Re: Cutting down a 1 qt Paul Revere tea kettle

Postby zelph » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:45 pm

Long time no see :-)

put together a wooden unit similar to a bread slicer about 1 inch taller than the diameter of the kettle. Have it so the kettle fits tight in the wooden fixture and then use your sawzall on slooooow speed to make the cut following the channel in the fixture. Or use a hacksaw.

Add 2 grommets to the sides of the kettle where you want to hang the bail. Use stainless pop rivets to fasten folding handles.

Adding a strengthening ring to the top rim would be a real challenge ;)

I have some 1/2" wide stainless steel banding material that you could wrap around the rim and then pop rivit it to fasten it or have someon local weld it to the rim.
81srzHeaplL._SL1500_.jpg
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Zelph's Stoveworks Factory”