Microlyte (prototype)

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Skidsteer

Re: Microlyte (prototype)

Postby Skidsteer » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:38 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
Wow. Now that's a gnarly stand. I'm impressed.

What's the diameter of your new tin, Ridgerunner?

The stand idea came from you Skids. I used the bud bottle as it fits the bottom of the Heine Pot like a glove and is a bit sturdier. ;)

The tin is 40mm or 1.5 inches. they make them here in Ohio. Unfortunately, you have to be a chain store to order them from the factory with a minimum $200 order. I found them clearanced at a local craft store and went to 3 stores to find a total of 5 packs of 12. I think there are 2 more stores in southern Cincinnati. I might have to make a trip to see my daughter down there to see if they have anymore left.

Yeah, I knew that. :D

Wanna know about the Bud bottle stand I personally use?

-Cut 1 3/4" off the bottom of a Bud bottle
-Use a hole punch to remove most of the bottom

-Remove the rest of the material with a Dremel rotary file(fourth from the left): Image
-Cut your side design with a Dremel Diamond blade.

This stand will last. The top(or bottom of the bottle)is thicker and takes all the heat you can throw at it and still only weighs @ 5 grams.

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:02 am

Very nice clean finished look, Skids. Thanks for the advice. The correct tool can make the task go so much easier and provide that true craftsman look. ;) When you say you take the bottom out with a hole punch are you referring to a punch and hammer method or some type of mechanical punch ? Thanks for sharing. That is what it's all about ! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:09 am

Skids, you inspired me. :lol: It's taken me awhile to get back to this project but I picked up a few new dremel bits and had at it tonight. :D

ImageImageImage
:mrgreen:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:54 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Skids, you inspired me. :lol: It's taken me awhile to get back to this project but I picked up a few new dremel bits and had at it tonight. :D
:

Very very nice and very artistic, you've got talent!!!!!! Skids also ;)

Looks too good to use :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:44 pm

I like it!!!

good job Ridgerunner! :D

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:06 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Skids, you inspired me. :lol: It's taken me awhile to get back to this project but I picked up a few new dremel bits and had at it tonight. :D

ImageImageImage
:mrgreen:

Beautiful work! Very creative.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:04 pm

I changed my mind, I'd like to see it fired up under a Heineken pot :D

Doit several times to see how it reacts to heat :o

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:46 pm

Those stands look very nice! RidgeRunner, it always looks nice when you work the ACT and PCT acronyms into your work. I made a stand similar in principal, but didn't leave any part of the bottle base on, so it is a straight sided cylinder. Yours should be more rigid because of that. I think I'll try that next. On mine, I did notice some softening after multiple firings due to annealing of the aluminum. There is enough metal to support the pot still, but it is noticeably less rigid.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:06 pm

On mine, I did notice some softening after multiple firings due to annealing of the aluminum. There is enough metal to support the pot still, but it is noticeably less rigid.

Took Skids advice as far as using the bottom of an aluminum bottle for the top as the metal is much thicker at the base. Skids said it will take the heat. In Skidsteer I trust ! ;) I have not tested it out but just for Zelph :P , I will test it out this weekend as I start another vacation and will have more time to tinker.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:56 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
On mine, I did notice some softening after multiple firings due to annealing of the aluminum. There is enough metal to support the pot still, but it is noticeably less rigid.

Took Skids advice as far as using the bottom of an aluminum bottle for the top as the metal is much thicker at the base. Skids said it will take the heat. In Skidsteer I trust ! ;) I have not tested it out but just for Zelph :P , I will test it out this weekend as I start another vacation and will have more time to tinker.

What a good guy you are, just for zelphie :mrgreen: It won't melt all the way :roll: just the little points :P

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”