Home made caldera clone for a stanley pot

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Ridgerunner

Re: Home made caldera clone for a stanley pot

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:30 am

Are the ditches for irrigation or serve as a fire break?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

churro

Postby churro » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:51 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Are the ditches for irrigation or serve as a fire break?

For irrigation. Grass and alfalfa for hay. Though there are times when I am glad to have fire breaks in place, too.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:35 pm

I've put out a few grass fires while being a volunteer fireman at the local dept. we used leaf rakes to snuff the flames out. With our fire resistant boots we walk in the burned out area and rake the flames towards us and they go out.

The broom rake was the most common fire tool. The rake quickly clears a path of leaves and is an efficient tool in areas where there is little brush and the primary material burning is leaves

Modern piece of equipment is the gas powered leaf blower....whodda thunkit :mrgreen:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

churro

Postby churro » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:16 pm

Yeah, I used to do it that way, until I melted the soles off my $250 hiking boots :( . I have found that if I rake the fire ahead on the windward side of the ditch it sort of pulls the fire along the tall grass in the ditch, then I come along behind and put out the edges where it burns more slowly in the cut grass. A 3 gallon backpack sprayer works well for that.

I tried out the starlyte stove you sent me- just switched it out for my home made knockoff in the same rig I've been playing with. Made coffee on the tailgate of the truck while I was burning a ditch. It seems you've really got a good design there. With a little less fuel than I use in mine I boiled 20 oz of water in about 2 minutes less time. And the green cap matches the silicone band I put on my pot :mrgreen: . Thanks! I might order a couple more soon and make up some kits to give away for birthdays and such. $13 is a good price for something that works so well.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:32 am

The burner was slightly used but good :P One of the windscreens is aluminum.

I almost used a kmart clone cone yesterday for a quick esbit fuel test. There were insufficient air intake/outlet holes in the screen so I had to switch to a 12cm Imusa mug/cone setup to test if the 14gram esbit tablet could boil 4 cups. It failed. It almost boiled. I used the DIY Brian Green esbit tray to hold the tablet.

churro

Postby churro » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:56 pm

I am planning an overnight soon, and wanted to re-stock the camping pantry. Any suggestions on what to try?

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:05 pm

churro wrote:I am planning an overnight soon, and wanted to re-stock the camping pantry. Any suggestions on what to try?

Calzones sound like a good start :D

I just might makes some in my bread machine tonight...late tonight. Been busy :D

I recently had my daughter purchase 12 number 10 cans of Mountain House meals out in Utah at Emergency Essentials store. My wife and I are going camping out there at the end of this month. My wife, daughter and I will camp for one week on the Mountain House and then go from there to ? not sure yet :?

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”