Home made caldera clone for a stanley pot

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
churro

Re: Home made caldera clone for a stanley pot

Postby churro » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:11 pm

My grandfather used to say that good firewood should warm you three times- once when you cut it, once when you split it and once when you burn it.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:41 am

Yes, he is correct :D I think of that every time I cut wood and sit in the living room next to my wood burner.

Carrying it into the house adds another time of warming.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

churro

Postby churro » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:33 pm

So I tried out this rig this morning making coffee. This time I used denatured alcohol that I get free from the re-use program at the landfill. Previously I'd been using Heet (yellow). The heet had burned very cleanly, but not too hot. Boiled 20-24 oz water in 14-16 minutes with 20 cc fuel (I never measured water temps). This morning I boiled 24 oz in 11 minutes with 20 cc denatured alcohol. I could tell it was burning hotter by feeling the cone and by the fact that it slightly discolored the windscreen and the bottom edge of the pot.

I also discovered that my pot cozy fits my stainless steel french press- bonus.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:19 pm

Yes, denatured has more power. Down side is it has more smell than HEET. The price is right at the landfill :D

Your cone is working perfect. Those boils with 20ml is right where you want it. It worked out perfect for a stainless steel pot of that shape. Go out and buy a lottery ticket...you're on a roll :mrgreen:

churro

Postby churro » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:20 am

zelph wrote:Yes, denatured has more power. Down side is it has more smell than HEET. The price is right at the landfill :D

Your cone is working perfect. Those boils with 20ml is right where you want it. It worked out perfect for a stainless steel pot of that shape. Go out and buy a lottery ticket...you're on a roll :mrgreen:

Afraid my streak is busted. We went out for the first time since my son was born- charity thing with lots of raffles and such. Came home $120 lighter and no prizes. Gambling's never been my strong suit. Good news is all the money goes to preserving habitat for wildlife- I can live with that.

So, a better pot would be aluminum or titanium, and I am guessing a wider, shorter shape? I might have to hit the thrift stores soon and see what I can find... maybe K mart, too...

churro

Postby churro » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:41 pm

Found a k-mart grease pot and several stainless jobs at the thrift store. Let the fiddling commence.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:32 pm

The Kmart grease is my first choice, goto pot for 4 cups of water. Second choice is the 4 cup Conquistador pot used in conjunction with a caldera cone/clone.

I've purchased only one lottery ticket in my life. I'm better off ;)

Your money went to a good cause, protecting habitat is a great cause. Wetlands especially need to be protected.

churro

Postby churro » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:00 am

zelph wrote:The Kmart grease is my first choice, goto pot for 4 cups of water. Second choice is the 4 cup Conquistador pot used in conjunction with a caldera cone/clone.

I've purchased only one lottery ticket in my life. I'm better off ;)

Your money went to a good cause, protecting habitat is a great cause. Wetlands especially need to be protected.

I was thinking that since the grease pot is a dark color already I might paint the lid black with high temp bbq grill paint (free from the landfill- I love that re-use program). That way I can use it in my solar cooker.

Funny how the lottery is the one game that you can win by simply not playing :D

One of the best experiences I have ever had was an apprenticeship under a guy who had spent his career restoring wetlands. My job was to follow him around and operate the gps device while he identified plants to get an idea of soil chemistry in order to identify wetland soils. This was in New Mexico, and most of the "wetlands" we were identifying would have been overlooked as "desert" by an untrained eye. I kept up a friendship with him after the job ended. He and I used to visit some of his favorite haunts where he'd been experimenting with rolling a few rocks around to improve the water retention. It was amazing what a difference a few fist-sized rocks could make.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:15 am

I have a keen interest in native plants. Certain areas never farmed or grazed have certain "Indicator" plants that survived to tell the story. I worked as a volunteer for the IL Dept. of Conservation to monitor areas that were designated as original prairie areas. I still go back to the areas to stand along side the plants to get the sense of being somewhere where very few people have gone, a place of serenity.

It's amazing how man can make a difference with a few rocks and a beaver with a few scrub trees. :D

churro

Postby churro » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:48 pm

I got your package today, Zelph. Thank you very much! I spent the day burning ditches (the wife had the day off and the weather was perfect for it). Evey spring we burn off the dead grass and weeds in the ditch so the water will floe=w well. What a great surprise to find a package after a day of hard work! I can't wait to do some work on those cones and test out the stove.

As always when I am burning ditches, I thought a lot about Jack, a neighbor of mine from years back. I was working on a ranch in central colorado, and he was my nearest neighbor (7/8 of a mile away). He and his wife were in their eighties or maybe nineties, still running their ranch. Since I was new to growing hay, Jack took me under his wing and offered to teach me to burn the ditches. He told me to meet him at 8 am sharp and to bring a shovel, a rake and a backpack sprayer, the kind used for weed spraying.

I did, but the first day he said it was too wet. The next day (8 am) it was too windy. The next was too dry. After a week or so of him pointing out all that might go wrong due to conditions, a day came along that was perfect. Jack started throwing lit matches in all directions until a gigantic grass fire was going, then laughed and said, "That should keep you busy until lunch." and drove off. By about 2 pm I had the fire out, and I knew how to burn a ditch. It's not burning the ditch that's hard, it's putting out the fire before you burn all your fence posts.

The puppy had a great time chasing the rodents flushed out by the fire. He's passed out now. I might do the same.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”