Coil stoves? I'm inspired, but cautious.

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
churro

Coil stoves? I'm inspired, but cautious.

Postby churro » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:01 am

I want to try making a coil stove. Anything I should know about safety issues? I searched like crazy, found lots of successful DIY coils stoves, but not much about the hazards. Figured I'd ask before I blow myself up. Thanks.

zelph

Re: Coil stoves? I'm inspired, but cautious.

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:58 am

Just make sure all joints are tight and only light them outdoors :o :D until you know they don't leak. They become self pressurized by the body of the stove getting hot.

Yes, proceed with caution and do proceed.

By tomorrow I may have one completed.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

churro

Postby churro » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:02 pm

Thanks. I went ahead last night and made 3 coils from some copper pipe that was laying around. It might be too narrow, but It's what I had on hand. I filled the pipe with table salt, crimped the ends and wound it around some pvc. They came out nice.

I don't like the idea of using a glass jar for the body (shrapnel?), so I might need to make the hour-long drive to town for some more parts and more JB Weld soon. Any tips on good containers would be appreciated. I was also wondering if cotton twine would serve as wicking material, or do I need fiberglass stove rope? I've read that there is a relationship between port size and wick size, but found little detail on this. Any pointers or rules of thumb?

Here's an interesting experiment I found on youtube:

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:47 pm

Here are some quotes from other threads:

oops56 wrote:
realityguy wrote:I've got soft copper tubing and was coiling some up to try and make one...or something like it.Does the tubing have a continuous wick running through it?I was thinking of an aluminum bottle for fuel storage with the copper coil coming out..slight pressure if needed to burn alcohol..
Just an idea...

no the wick does not go all the round the coil just up to the first bend close need 2 one on each end leave it long so stay in alcohol and so as to lay flat like a L

zelph wrote:The burner is interesting. After blowing it out and waiting about 1 min., maybe less, fuel will start shooting out of the jet hole. The coil is still hot. The burner is still very warm. It's necessary to loosen the cap on the fill port to prevent the fuel from coming out. Must be why they have some type of heat resistand plug to put through the center of the coil.

oops56 wrote:
DarenN wrote:i'm about at my wits end with this.
once in a while i get a burn that looks like this:

that's about one burn out of ten. i get burns that are acting like they aren't makeing pressure, candle flame, kind of. then for no apperant reason i'll get raw fuel spitting out of it. or an abnoxiously loud, pulsating burn like it's over pressurized. i just can't seem to nail it down. too many variables.

the utube burner clearly shows the tubes going right to the bottom of the tank, but with holes drilled in the sides, just up from the bottom. i tried this and it wouldn't make pressure, none at all. tried short tubes; about halfway into the tank, with the wicks touching the bottom. no pressure. tried cotton balls in the tank (w/short tubes). no pressure. tried different wicks (all cotton). thicker thinner longer shorter. no joy.

i'm not quite ready to give up, but i am getting very frustrated. :|

Daren.....

I had a tay kit did the same thing played with the opening at top also move the coil right or left to get the flame in center. Also make sure there no air leaks at cap and fittings.

Ridgerunner wrote:DarenN, Several of my coil burners will make a pulsating burn sound. I like it. Make sure you don't overfill your tank. I don't know what to tell you. wish i could cut one of my coil burners up to give you a better analysis but can't bring myself to do that. :lol: I have been thinking of making one but now i figure, I will let you iron all the kinks out. :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:07 am

Came across this this morning

churro

Postby churro » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:18 pm

I guess I'll have to dig out my kelly kettle. At the very least it will act as a protective barrier when I test my coil stove.

churro

Postby churro » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:28 pm

Does anybody out there have a link to a "fail" video? I'm not trying to be macabre, just curious what a catastrophic failure might look like so I can be safe abut testing.

churro

Postby churro » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:44 pm

Here are the parts for my first attempt, ready for assembly.
IMG_4754.JPG

Far left is a handy little device I found at the local hardware store (Ace, I believe). It was in the drawers where you find the oddball hardware, and was labeled "drain plug, 3/8" to 1/2"". You can screw the handle down to spread the rubber plug to your desired clearance, then fold over the handle to spread the plug to close tightly into a "drain", or brass fuel port, to the right, in the base of the stove body. I crimped the edges of the base using pliers to make assembly easier. The top of the stove body is to the right of that with the coil on top and the wick around it. The plan is to JB Weld the coil in place, cure, insert the wick, then JB weld the two pieces of the base together. Once cured, I'll drill a hole for the fuel port (brass tube), and JB Weld that in place, passing horizontally through the side wall, about 2/3 of the way up the side so I have a reference for overfilling. I left the fuel port long because I wasn't sure how the drain plug would stand up to heat. I might install a heat shield between it and the body of the stove, and maybe some fins to cool the fuel port and protect the plug. Since the plug is held in place by friction, and is finely adjustable, I figured it might serve as an overpressure valve- I just need to make sure I point it in a safe direction.

This is a prototype, just to get an idea of the challenges involved. I am looking for an appropriate container to make a prototype using compression fittings that can be disassembled to try out different coil configurations, but for now this will keep me sane (I built a suit of leather and steel armor over the course of 4 years in college, just to have something to keep my hands busy. I get a little loopy without a project :mrgreen: ...)

I had to pound 2 beers in order to secure materials for this project, so I might wait to assemble until the buzz wears off :taz:

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:43 pm

Interesting plug find. Don't see those often. Reminds me of a plug used for holes in engine blocks. I'll see if I can find a photo of one.

Yeah, wait till the buzz dissipates, take a walk and see how the churros are doing :D

No videos out there showing failures. I think small pin hole leaks will just for small flame jets. Big holes that expose an empty cavity containing vapor will make a pop. A larger empty cavity will get you banned from the kitchen :lol:

We wish your stove well on it's first light up :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:09 am

Do all testing outdoors and preferably in a steel tray/container of sorts. When dissecting my Taykit coil burner, I found that it was just silver soldered in place. The cotton wick had a thin piece of wire, bent over, about 1/2-3/4" in length to make it easier to insert the wick up the tubing. If you are using JB weld to seal everything, don't be skimpy. Coil burners are pressurized stoves and are more dangerous than non or low pressure alcohol stoves so be careful and cautious!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”