I Couldn't Resist...LOL

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: I Couldn't Resist...LOL

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:13 pm

We keep our house at 60* at bed time. :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

FireTamer

Post by FireTamer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:26 pm

I did one test run today. The strainer/burner holds 18 cups of pellets filled up to top row of holes and with a drilled out progresso can in the middle. I let the stove run wild with the door of the wood stove wide open and the flue damper wide open. Again, fast and hot. Even with the door open the whole wood stove body got too hot to touch. No visible flames out of the chimney but it is definitely hot enough to cook on top of. Just ask my fingers. :lol: There is a very light black smoke coming out. Now to rig a pot stand. The total burn was 30min to flame out(very hot smolder though). I'm sure by properly adjusting the dampers the burn time would be significantly more.. More testing later...

FT

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:03 pm

You're doin great, love the experiments. Your strainer must be as big as the one I got. I did a test burn in mine on Sunday. All went well. I sprayed the surface with HEET and it lit well. Kind of strange how the incoming oxygen lit up only the front top row of holes. Not the side or rear. I used the damper on the flu but seemed to have very little effect on burn.
Attachments
pellet burner in wood stove 004.jpg
pellet burner in wood stove 003.jpg
Used heet to start them up
Used heet to start them up

FireTamer

Post by FireTamer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:19 pm

That's impressive without any sort of chimney on top. I will have to try that. Yesterday I did another experiment. I lit it inside the wood stove again. Then I closed the door with the fresh air damper wide open. The fire wasn't getting quite enough air and the chimney of the wood stove looked like an old coal locomotive rolling out the black smoke until the fire calmed down. I really didn't time the length of burn or anything. I just wanted to see the characteristics of the fire by limiting the intake air. :geek:

I also light mine off with alcohol. I put two cups of alcohol soaked pellets(not dripping)on the surface. When its placed inside the wood stove, I dribble very little alcohol on the outer surface to light it because I can't get to it from the inside. There's something about the woosh you get from lighting it... :lol:

FT

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:21 pm

There's something about the woosh you get from lighting it...
:lol: I love that adrenalin feeling :mrgreen: Makes you wonder if it got your eyebrows :mrgreen:

Maybe you need bigger holes around the container. Like 1/4 or 3/8 and maybe some 1/2" around the top about 1" from the top rim.

Leave the door open on your stove for more draft, see what that does for it.

FireTamer

Post by FireTamer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:09 pm

It burns great with the door open. My draft hole just isn't big enough when it's running full bore. It did fine today with the door just cracked a little. It was fun testing, but nothing exciting enough to make me take a torch to the wood stove. :o

I am thinking of making a 2 to 3 inch tall cap with secondary air holes and with a hole for the chimney and observing the results. I think it will be a vast improvement. We shall see.

Today I decided to get some soot on this SS bucket I picked up yesterday at a restaurant liquidation. Very heavy duty. Not bad for 6 bucks. I also picked up another steam table pot for 2 bucks. After running it for awhile, I believe that I need to raise the bucket quite a bit. The flames were being choked by the bucket being too close. Very nasty burn. I also believe this will decrease my boil times. No worries though. Anytime I get to play with fire is a good time. :D

FT

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:09 am

Wow! great deal on the bucket. I have one similar from a dairy farm auction.

If you reduce the height of the chimney by half that should slow it down. It's sucking lots of air through the stove. When it gets really hot inside the mass of pellets they start to gassifiy in a radical fashion and the gasses are coming off so fast they don't get a chance to fully ignite and burn clean. It's a good experience raising the pot to see how critical the distance is between pot and stove top is.

Hobo stove fires lit from the bottom do a lot of gassifiying of the wood and smoke for a long time before igniting. Not enough oxygen coming in at the bottom, can't get through a can full of twigs. That's another story :mrgreen: got sidetracked ;)

In this video you can see a #10 size can used to make a hobo pellet burner I made for the inside of my home wood burner. It burns hot, plenty of air holes :D

FireTamer

Post by FireTamer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:54 pm

Yesterday I decided to do some more testing. I tried two burns raising the chimney above the burner to allow in secondary air. One with the bucket approx. 6" from the top of the chimney and another about 3" from the top of the chimney. Both tests failed to bring 1gal. of water to a boil even after 30min. I then decided to try Zelph's no chimney approach. I lit the stove, waited about a minute for it to warm up some, then placed the pot on top. Within 5 min. I had a rolling boil. So the way I see it the chimney is just something else to lug around and keep up with for this particular application. As it is now I can nest pots into the burner for travel. I could try it with a cap that has more restrictive secondary inlets and a concentrator ring, but what would be the point. It also burned fairly clean unless a gust of wind hit it(as with most stoves). Yea, the wind started blowing as soon as I struck the match.

I also tried a burn without the can(with holes) in the center that allowed more air flow to the center of the pellets. Like Zelph's, the stove would only burn on one side. For now I think I have found the optimum setup for this stove/burner. I will probably experiment with the pot support height some.

Don't laugh at my temporary pot support. Hey, It worked. :lol:

Zelph, Your Grate Test #1 video you posted is private, cannot see it.

FT

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:21 pm

FireTamer wrote:It burns great with the door open. My draft hole just isn't big enough when it's running full bore. It did fine today with the door just cracked a little. It was fun testing, but nothing exciting enough to make me take a torch to the wood stove. :o

I am thinking of making a 2 to 3 inch tall cap with secondary air holes and with a hole for the chimney and observing the results. I think it will be a vast improvement. We shall see.

Today I decided to get some soot on this SS bucket I picked up yesterday at a restaurant liquidation. Very heavy duty. Not bad for 6 bucks. I also picked up another steam table pot for 2 bucks. After running it for awhile, I believe that I need to raise the bucket quite a bit. The flames were being choked by the bucket being too close. Very nasty burn. I also believe this will decrease my boil times. No worries though. Anytime I get to play with fire is a good time. :D

FT
i hope you not going to use that wrench the temper is gone it my twist in half :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:03 pm

FireTamer wrote:I will probably experiment with the pot support height some.

Don't laugh at my temporary pot support. Hey, It worked. :lol:

Zelph, Your Grate Test #1 video you posted is private, cannot see it.

FT
Can't help it, gotta laugh at the pot support :lol: :lol: But, you know I like dual purpose stuff. ;) :mrgreen:

If you could punch some 1/2" holes with a chisel or large nail set at about where the ridge line goes all the way around the stove, you would be able to see the flames be pushed more towards the center of the pot. as it is now in the photo ypou can see the flames wanting to go inward. Help them out by adding the holes. If not 1/2 do 3/8" The bigger the better.

The weather up here is frightful, chicken soup weather. Illini Red Rooster soup with dumplings :mrgreen: :dinner: I would imagine you don't eat chicken?

Sorry about the Grate Test 1 video. Strange that I can see the video when I come into this thread and no one else can :? I went ahead and made the video public. Now you should be able to see it.