Heet Powered Kelly Kettle

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
FireTamer

Heet Powered Kelly Kettle

Post by FireTamer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:20 pm

Today is a good day. I got the Kelly Kettle to boil water using Heet. Not only did it boil, it did it very quickly. I've been somewhat working on a pellet burner for the KK for a few weeks now and I'm slowly getting there. Due to being down in my back and unable to get outside much I decided to start seeing if I could get a successful boil using alcohol. Before deciding on trying to design a burner that would work, I decided to try some of the burners that I already had.

After a few trial and errors I stumbled across the Venom stove that I got from David over at Bottlestoves. I used the diverter plate and the chimney choke from the pellet burner project. I also left the bull clips at the bottom of the kettle itself to allow upper air flow and keeps the flames to the wall.

It worked!!! I started out with 2oz. of Heet and the burner died just as the water was coming to a boil. I put everything outside to completely cool off before test 2. Test 2 I used 2.5oz. of Heet and it was a success. I had 5 cups of water boiling in 6:55 from striking the match. Keep in mind that the stove had to bloom(1:24)before I could set the diverter plate on top and then the kettle. So in actuality the water only took 5:31min to boil after setting the kettle on the base.

I ran this test 3 more times and all of the times come within 5 seconds of the figures listed below.

Kelly Kettle/Venom Bottle Stove
2.5oz Heet
5 cups Water 59*
64* Inside Temp
Time To Boil 6:55 from match_____5:31 from setting kettle on fire base
Flame Out 8:31

I must say this thing sounded like a jet engine in the house. Here are some pics...

Water Boiling...

All the pieces...

Stove with diverter inside the fire-pan...

Top view of fire-pan...

Close up of bull clips...

Top view...

Close up of chimney choke...

I will continue to see if improvement in burn time and efficiency can be obtained.

Things I've learned so far from this. If you're going to try this inside be very careful. The base gets extremely hot and will result in injury and or property damage. I scorched a potholder with the first test(I put kettle near sink in-case it decided to spit boiling water. If you would like to use a potholder so you can be near the sink, wrap it in several layers of foil. The flames got so hot that they left a blue ring around the fire-pan.Do not use no more than 5 cups of water in the Kelly Kettle Base Camp indoors, it will violently blow out of the spout(I already knew this from using the kettle outside). Warn others in the house with what you are about to do. This setup is scary loud!!!

I'm also working on another burner from a 5.5oz cat food can with very pleasing results. More on that later on another thread after some more testing.

FT
Last edited by FireTamer on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

zelph

Re: Heet Powered Kelly Kettle

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:00 am

Hey! nice experiment. Maybe if the diverter plate was a little bit larger in diameter it would be more efficient.

does there seem to be any backing up of flames coming from the air inlet hole as if the burner is going radical ?

I can imagine the sound coming from the damper cap :DBfire:

Ridgerunner knows all about kettles spouting out boiling hot water. Danger, Danger.....Danger ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

FireTamer

Post by FireTamer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:19 am

Zelph, no backing up of flames at all. If you look down the chimney right before it goes "hyper", it looks just like a burner on a stove. Nice even flame pattern. With the bull clips in place an even amount of air comes in just above the flame from all around. This allows the base hole to supply the combustion air and the upper air entrance supplies the rising air(the best way I know how to describe it). That way there is no turbulence coming into the base air inlet to disrupt the flames. I learned this by working on the pellet burner. I also noticed that when air is introduced above the flame, it has a tendency to follow the wall and not up the middle of the chimney.

I will try a larger diverter plate(hopefully tomorrow) to see what happens. I know with pellets anything smaller than 3 3/4" and larger than 4" resulted in poor performance in the chimney with the rising flames. I also may try raising the burner just a tad.

Considering that most of my stoves/burners use 3/4oz per 2 cups of water boiled. 2 1/2oz. isn't too awfully bad for 5 cups boiled. I'm also still trying to get a 1/2oz. 2 cup boil...lol.

FT

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:11 am

I will try a larger diverter plate(hopefully tomorrow) to see what happens. I know with pellets anything smaller than 3 3/4" and larger than 4" resulted in poor performance in the chimney with the rising flames. I also may try raising the burner just a tad.

Considering that most of my stoves/burners use 3/4oz per 2 cups of water boiled. 2 1/2oz. isn't too awfully bad for 5 cups boiled. I'm also still trying to get a 1/2oz. 2 cup boil...lol.
If you raise the stove a tad maybe you won't have to increase the daimeter of the diverter plate. Raising it will move the plate closer to the wall of the kettle.

Your fuel efficiency is pretty good considering all the stainless steel you have to heat up along with the water.

Nice project for winter time testing.

FireTamer

Post by FireTamer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:12 pm

I did some more testing today. First thing I decided to do was to raise the Venom stove up to just where the burner holes were inline with the bottom of the KK tank itself(just above the seam). I did this by setting it on a 5.5oz cat food can(1 1/16th"). Though not surprised, I was pleased with the results. I might also mention that the jet engine noise is now gone(completely). The only noise now is at about minute 3 that is the water itself as the temperature rapidly rises. I also noticed that the flame diverter is warping and the chimney choke has taken on this black chrome appearance with an occasional blue flame shooting out of the chimney.

I ran three tests of each to get an average. All components were taken outside to cool and then brought back inside to acclimate to the room temperature before the next test.

Kelly Kettle/Venom Stove
2 1/2oz. Heet
5 cups water 61*
Inside Temp 64*
Time to boil 6:15 from match___4:49 from setting kettle onto base(1:26 to bloom)
Flame out 8:25

Kelly Kettle/Venom Stove
2oz. Heet
5 cups water 60*
Inside Temp 64*
Time To Boil FAILED! water temp 204* at flame out(1:15 to bloom)
Flame out 6:14

Kelly Kettle/Venom Stove
2 1/4oz. Heet
5 cups water 60*
Inside Temp 64*
Time to boil 6:02 from match___4:41 from setting kettle onto base(1:21 to bloom)
Flame out 7:48

Kelly Kettle
2 1/8oz. Heet
5 cups water 59*
Inside Temp 64*
Time to boil 6:57 from match(flame dying)___5:37 from setting kettle onto base(1:20 to bloom)
Flame out 7:27

I also did one test run with a DIY Bud bottle(raised on 5.5oz. can). Maybe Zelph or someone with a more precisely made stove would like to do this test also. The holes in mine are much too large to get a desired large enough flame pattern. It did boil the water, but took awhile.

Kelly Kettle/Bud bottle
2 1/2oz. Heet
5 cups water 58*
Inside Temp 64*
Time to boil 13.58 from match___12:33 from setting kettle onto base(1:25 to bloom)
Flame out 14:58

I finally got ran out of the kitchen...lol. :mrgreen:

FT

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:42 pm

This is super cool!.. I have a ghillie kettle and I never thought of trying something like this.. darned I.T. department. its making me dull and uncreative. Seeing this sure starts to re ignite my inbuilt need to tinker....

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Wow!!! you've been busy and having fun. You need to get your wife to start testing a couple of stoves with you. ;)

What caused the jet engine noise to go away??? :?

You've got some nice record keeping going there. Kudos

Your efficiency is really good. I've read many time that people should figure on using 1 ounce of alcohol to boil 2 cups of water when they are out in the field. so you are right on track. The kettles are efficient machines when the fuel burn rate is controlled with various means such as the damper on top of the kettle and flame spreader plate that sits on top of the alcohol stove. It's nice to be able to have a dual fuel system. Actually 3 fuels, wood, pellets and alcohol. Hmmm, wonder how a can of Sterno would react inside the kettle :o

FireTamer

Post by FireTamer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:08 pm

Oh Yea!!! I've been having a blast.

LOL...If I have the wife testing, then she won't be out finding good deals that feed my addiction. Yesterday she came home with some off brand Heet that she got on clearance for $.30 a bottle at one of the local dollar stores. They only had 101 bottles. :shock: I ought to be good for a few more tests.

The only thing that I can think of as to what happened to the jet noise is the relation the jets are now in relation to the air gap where the kettle sits on the base.

I tried the Go-To stove yesterday but it didn't do so hot with a flat diverter plate on it. I believe if I had the right size/shaped funnel that it would be a very good candidate. It would allow the flames to gently roll to the kettle walls. Then there would be no priming. Just light and set the kettle on the base. I will try it when I find the right funnel.

FT

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:36 pm

Your wife is supportive of your new hobby, that's great. Mine helps me out once in a while which is better than never ;)

she got kinda on edge when I lit up a small fancee feest style stove in the kitchen today. I had to quickly defend myself by telling her it was not experimental :geek:

101 bottles of fuel will keep you busy for the winter season :D I'll have to check the local dollar stores ;)

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:20 am

Alright, time to share! Was it Dollar General, Dollar Tree, The Dollar Store,etc? The second and more important question is, if it is an offbrand heet, did you check to see the ingredients; methanol or isopropanol alcohol?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !