Using water to simmer

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
ridebks

Using water to simmer

Post by ridebks » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:50 pm

had a mishap tonight that turned into an idea. I knocked a pot off a stove, spilling water all over my bench. The pot fell over but not the stove. After cleaning up the mess, i proceeded with the test. I added a little alcohol to the stove, and fired it up. i quickly noticed that the flame was quite a bit smaller. Then it hit me...water had gotten into the stove. i ran a test with 2 of the same containers...1 with straight alcohol and another with an alcohol/water mix. The difference was very noticable. I appoligize if this topic has already been discussed, and i did check YouTube for any videos using this idea. I found 1 video using this concept and it seemed to work well. I believe Mr.Opps commented on it. Any innput on this would be greatly appreciated.

Ridgerunner

Re: Using water to simmer

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:51 am

I believe the idea has been kicked around before. What ratio of water to alcohol did you find worked best for a desirable simmering flame?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ridebks

Post by ridebks » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:11 am

I really didn't measure. Just added water and went. I wiil mess around a with it a little bit more today.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Nice way to find out how water calms down alcohols flammability. It's like flying a kite in a thunder storm :D (ben franklin) lots of cool stuff is found out accidently. 8-)

In cooler temperature watered down alcohol is difficult to light.

Stoves that absorb fuel for safety reasons are great to use in case of little accidents of pots being knocked over. The StarLyte and Super Stoves come to mind. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/