Has anybody else used these chimneyheaters?

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
ConnieD

Re: Has anybody else used these chimneyheaters?

Post by ConnieD » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:33 am

Chimney heaters were used on older inefficient woodstoves stove pipe for heating homes. Even so, they had to be cleaned to avoid a chimney fire. Even the new stovepipe "heat reclaimers" are not approved for the modern efficient EPA Certified woodstoves.

For modern efficient wood, pellet, or coal heaters and fireplaces for heating homes, usually the pre-existing chimney has too much diameter and is too long, as well, to burn up the wood fire gases and reduce creosote build-up.

What happens is there is condensation of wood gasses (sulfuric acid forms, for example) and creosote. This explains so many house fires. The central heating and the fireplace no longer "waste" heat up the chimney, because efficient heaters and fireplaces are so efficient.

In fact, some efficient heaters and fireplaces are up to 88% efficient.

In fact, existing house chimneys often may need a replacement liner.

If you have an efficient wood heater, either central heating or a fireplace, a "chimney heater" would further reduce the effective temperature of the pre-existing chimney itself, further increasing your chances of a house fire.

The safe and smart thing to do, is have your chimney diameter and length match your heater or fireplace properly.

In my opinion, the hot water heat-exchangers on the outside of the firebox of the wood stove itself are safe, if not so large a volume you still will get draft and sufficient heat for a chimney that is sized properly.

There are stove pipe temperature guages for determining safe flue temperature for a wood stove, for example.

If you were able to use this particular model, you mention, with safe flue temperature, it should be okay.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:19 pm

Did you install it yourself and where will you use the second heater?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:07 am

What was your total cost for coil/coils and parts plus labor if installed by a certified HVAC company?

They recommend 2 pressure relief valves in case of power failure.

Their photo showing the use of a wood burner to heat swiming pool water is rediculous.

Capturing heat off your hot water heater vent pipe is rediculous.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:27 am

I actually thought opinions and information from this forum was sought, and it was not SPAM.

I have housesat for 40+ years in truly expensive homes, my great aunt having one of america's famous houses listed in Art History classes.

In my childhood I lived in a French country estate home, myself, the Dubois family country estate in Grand River Valley, actually the family of the 6th Governor of French Canada. It was a historic home, however, the central heating was efficient, more efficient than offered in "modern" homes.

After childhood, in California, Arizona, and Colorado I have housesat homes with house-heater wood stoves that have efficient wood heat stoves, one, in particular, costing tens of thousands of dollars involving a special ceramic all around was much more efficient than 88%. I was really impressed by that one.

In point of fact, I have seen many of the older homes that have that issue about the pre-existing chimney I described.

The whole point of what I wrote was it is the installation is much more important than they state, while inviting absolutely anyone to be a reseller.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:50 pm

I did a background check on both posters and found they were spammers and deleted them. :(