My first stove (Side jet)

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
BubbleHead

My first stove (Side jet)

Post by BubbleHead » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Several months ago I decided to try my hand at constructing a cheap stove to decide if I could create something backcountry-worthy for solo trips...
I have to say, this thing was fun to make (a bit painstaking) and works great! Hardly efficient compared to more expensive stoves but great for the money! And I built it myself - ego... INFLATING....

I pretty much followed this tutorial: http://zenstoves.net/BasicTopBurner.htm (except my jets are on the side)

IMAGERY:

(Upper) Outer wall, with jet holes drilled (Like I said, my jets are on the wall of the can instead of the lip. Just personal preference, but in hindsight I won't be able to use the tutorial's "simmer attachment" to cover the jets up. I mostly just boil water for Mountain House meals and coffee anyway, so not an issue for me)

As the background suggests, I used a Dremel for some of the cutting (and grinding the edges of the hole in the middle of the stove), as well as simple scissors and an Xacto knife. I sanded the paint off the cans and smoothed edges with an SOS pad and some sandpaper.

Didn't have a hole-puncher handy, so my inner wall fuel ports are notches instead.

Slits measured out and cut, now the sides are joined to make the inner wall.

Outer wall resting on the inner wall, a perfect fit!

Upper, lower, inner, and some two-part epoxy ready to go!

With the easy part over, I then had to use a shim (sanded piece of Pepsi can as the tutorial suggested) to fit the upper and lower together without damaging the stove. It was a delicate process. Widening the upper portion of the can with a full can of Pepsi made it possible to fit these together perfectly.

VOILA!

Testing the stove (the tomato can was handy as I was using it to build the windscreen)
Also in this picture is the trial-run stove I put together first, just to build a little confidence in the concept and process. This stove's jets were on top.

The windscreen/pot stand, once four slots were cut in the bottom as air inlets.

This thing REALLY focuses the heat. It also does a great job of blocking even light wind which disturbs the stove.
I drilled four holes about 1.5" from the top of the can, parallel to each other, to stick two tent stakes into as a pot stand.
I use a space saver cup, the type that nests onto a Nalgene bottle, with this setup. The cup sits down inside of the windscreen and is about as efficient as I think this system can get. The cup nests on the nalgene and the nalgene nests in the windscreen, with stove and fuel, a lighter and the tent stakes.

My little corner of the house, where I'm in charge! Don't tell my wife I said that, please.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with how this stove turned out. It's a cool concept and cost almost nothing, assuming you already have the few tools required and a few cans of soda. I haven't timed it but I'd say it boils .5L of water in about 4/5 minutes with the windscreen stand. Never measured the amount of alcohol I put in it either, but I usually use probably around a 20/30mL squirt of denatured alcohol when I run the stove.

This thing is pretty sweet for short solo trips, and always is an attention getter/conversation starter. I'm thinking of trying a new stove build but haven't decided on a design. I have been thinking it would be cool to try a coil-jet type, though it wouldn't pack down as compact as this design.

Anyway, that's my stove! Thanks for checking it out.
-BubbleHead
"Two billion dollar submarine, and I GET TO CLEAN IT!!!"

ConnieD

Re: My first stove (Side jet)

Post by ConnieD » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:59 pm

It looks really good to me.

I wonder what the stove experts here think about that stove/windscreen set?
My little corner of the house, where I'm in charge! Don't tell my wife I said that, please.
Of course, your wife will never find out. :roll:

This is only the world wide web.

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Very nice! What kinda boil times you getting? How is fuel usage? I really like your windscreen idea. Cheap and looks to be VERY effective.
Hilarious. I have a similar setup. I just need more light in mine.

BubbleHead

Post by BubbleHead » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:14 pm

JBRanger wrote:Very nice! What kinda boil times you getting? How is fuel usage? I really like your windscreen idea. Cheap and looks to be VERY effective
Because the pegs are below the top of the windscreen, the cup I use to cook sits inside the windscreen. I feel like this helps keep as much heat as possible on the cup and less is lost between the stove and the cup.
I would imagine that the fuel usage is about the same as most other alcohol stoves. Not incredibly efficient, but I feel that for weekend backpacking this is not an issue.
Like I said, I need to go out and actually time a boil, but I'm estimating around 5 minutes for .5L

Oh, and the light on my workbench is a Bayco fluorescent on a reel. Here's the link for it at Lowes, where I bought mine.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_203374-1373-FL- ... facetInfo=
I'm super happy with it, some like this even have an outlet on the light end of the reel which could be handy sometimes.
-BubbleHead

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:26 pm

Was this built for your moonshine still on the sub? 8-) I won't tell anyone,especially the navy.. :lol:

Looks like it's working great!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

BubbleHead

Post by BubbleHead » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:18 pm

Here's a better visual for you. This isn't mine, it's a user photo from Amazon.com that gave me the idea for the windscreen. I used a taller can and set the stakes lower. Same cup that I use, though, that fits on my Nalgene.

-BubbleHead

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:09 am

Hey that looks better than the average first try. Don't sell yourself short as far as comparing it to a commercial stove. That stove looks well built and the design is classic. I can think of several "commercial" stoves out there that it will match or beat. Nice start. As far as the windscreen goes, you have to be careful with that design. It can hold in too much heat and make the stove burn hot. This can reduce efficiency as it may create heat faster than the pot can take it which can be wasteful. However, this could be an advantage in cooler weather. Also, it looks like most pots will not fit inside the windscreen so pot height seems a bit high. But overall a good job :D

Edit: .. Looks from later photo that you plan on putting pot inside and using pegs or skewers to set pot height. That should work pretty good.

MrClean

Post by MrClean » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:11 am

Looks kinda like my first sideburner, magine that. Good job but I just got to ask, you started a couple months ago? Yesterday I cleaned up a building table so I could start working on some RC planes for next year that had been taken over by my stoves that I started on last month. The pile of alumium can pieces alone would net me about 15 bucks in recycling it seems. Way to show restraint! Then again, I have half of the garage and most of the utility room to myself. I lucked out on the garage, my truck is too tall to fit into the garage (74" door, if it's taller then me it won't fit) so all I have to put on my side is my motorcycle, and some airplanes, and one of those fancy walkers my late parents used, and some other household cra.... IT's MY side. thats what I needed to point out. I've got a big chunk of the Utility room too. Inbetween the house Water Heater, Central Air, Deepfreeze, Washer/Dryer, Catboxes, general storage,,, ya this is going the same way. NO, I"m a bigger man than you I have two, countem TWO cubbyholes in my house I get to call my own.

So good job on your stove/windscreen.
Now I've got to go down to the local tavern all of a sudden so I can commiserate with some other guys who only have one.

sniff.
From somewhere near Parkville, Mo.
William Crane
aka MrClean

You live. You learn.
Well anyways, you live.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:19 am

Nice accomplishment for a short periode of time. Be careful, your work bench will soon disappear under a pile of aluminum :D Nah!!!! the Navy has trained you well to work in small places and create no unnessary waste ;) :D

It's the designing of the stoves that is the most fun. Nah!!! changed my mind......the first lighting of the stove is the most fun :mrgreen:

Here is a great deal of information compiled by Daren on jet relationships for stoves:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=4343
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

BubbleHead

Post by BubbleHead » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:46 am

Wow! So cool someone took the time to run such a thorough experiment. Really interesting results.
I noticed not only that his stoves were much shorter than mine (was just thinking yesterday I'd like to make another stove at half the height for size and durability) but also that his inner wall appeared to be an unmolested Coors Lite can cross-section. Do you know if those cans are sized such that you don't have to alter them to use as an inner wall for a Pepsi can stove? That would be really convenient.
-BubbleHead