Minimalist one can double wall stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: Minimalist one can double wall stove

Postby zelph » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Can't recall................... The Volcano cook kit? is the pot tapered?

I just looked, the cup is tapered but not corrugated................shucks :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:47 am

I'm racking the brain and can't seem to come up with any corrugated metal bowls or tapered cups. I've seen ceramic glass bowls like that but no metal ones. Maybe a deco flower pot?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:17 pm

I'll see if I can add some ripples to my Volcano cup. If it works out can I send it to you for testing during the winter months???? :D

I only have one so I need outside help with the testing to see if there is a difference in boil times.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:33 pm

I wonder if a drill press(or hammer) and hole saws(no center bit) of different sizes might "press" ridges on an upside-down cup(sierra,volcano,etc)..just a thought.. .Anything like that run around an angled aluminum cup at specific diameters should make ridges.

On a straight sided one..you could probably make ridges with a pipecutter or tubing cutter,just enough to create ridges..and not go through it,of course. :roll:

You might find some kind of corrugated lightweight pudding rings or jello molds...I imagine some are ridged as "layers" so you can make layered molds easily with different colored jello,cream cheese,berries or other fruit.. :roll: ..I'm getting hungry..I'll have to get back to you... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:48 pm

My machine was not able to do a ripple because of the high top edge on the cup plus the handles get in the way. :roll:

I'll do a large Salmon can that is tapered and see how that turns out.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:01 pm

"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:13 pm

Basically all you are doing is expanding the surface area of the outside of a container.You can get the same effect by using a ball peen hammer(or?) and lightly dimpling a sierra cup to look like a golf ball's surface..ending up with more air/heat flow and residual savings of same over the outside surface. Nice even rows are nice..but that should have the same effect. ;)
Get two of the same pot,greasepot,or cup and try that on one ..see if that increases the heat factor and decreases the boil time..using the same stoves,fuel amount side by side...and other equal factors(windscreens,water temp,etc..etc...)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Caesar

Postby Caesar » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:39 pm

There's studies online that show the results of different attempts to increase heat transfer to a pot in a wood cookstove. Methods like increasing gas turbulance near the pot didn't work to well, finned pots DID work but were difficult to make, etc. The cheapest, easiest, and highly effective method was an insulated skirt surrounding the pot. This kept hot gases close to the pot, helped channel radiative energy, and also by the skirt itself storing heat energy and radiating it back to the pot.

Here a very interesting video.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_ur ... cIQI&gl=US

This man boiled two cups of water with a quarter fluid ounce of denatured alcohol in under 8 minutes. thanks to his heat exchanger.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Your link didn't work for me..left the person in the middle of a bunch of videos but not the right one as far as I could tell.I've always thought it would be possible to drill a ton of holes(or cut slots with a center pot hole) in a solid hunk of aluminum to make your own heat exchanger..like a jetboil..just felt it would be something more to pack and I'm in no rush when I'm out there.Usually if I'm cooking in the outdoors I've got plenty of time to kill.. ;) ..Speed at that point is not "of the essence"...so to speak.. :roll: ..therefore I didn't see a need to make one and not worth the effort..in MY case.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Link did not work for me either. I, like you Cuz, am not so concerned about the time factor BUT if I can boil 2 cups on 1/4 oz. of fuel then we are talking about using less fuel and less fuel and weight to carry. The thought intrigues me even though I am not a gram wienie ;)

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”