Got a new coffee press/cadyak stove idea..

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
realityguy

Got a new coffee press/cadyak stove idea..

Post by realityguy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:30 pm

Found a new coffee press today--->

Holds 21oz down about 1/4" from the rim..weight with only the inner wall and top press is 7.5oz(with the additional outer wall and handle figure a heavy 15oz.).What's interesting is that it is the same diameter as the shorter one so therefore the outer wall can be setup as a windscreen setup with the shorter press and alcohol stove underneath with some minor drilling of holes around the base and "crown" the top rim so it'll still support the pot but allow fire and air to pass the sides.
If you use a potstand on an alcohol stove,you can use the longer,larger capacity one that will stick up the additional difference of the larger capacity coffee press.
The handle on the longer one is mounted to the outer sleeve with a screw so it could be changed to something of metal for melt-down protection.
Tihs longer one is a nice size if you want to store a complete stove unit/fuel/windscreen inside and have a larger capacity than the other that has about 14-16oz maximum.The additional height is nice to have!
Rubber plate that was on the bottom said "Porter Products".I haven't checked the retail price on this one yet(I'll edit it in if I find it...thrift store buy at $3! :DB: :DB:

EDIT links:http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/coffeemak ... kpress.htm
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/produ ... viewHeader

Complaints seem to be weight(well I hacked that in half)..too hot to handle(two layers of stainless with air in between,what would you expect?),and the handle comes loose(I'm changing that out to steel,aluminum,or nothing for cooking purposes.Everyone that has used it seemed happy with it's making coffee!
To separate the outer from the inner cup..about 15 minutes with a hacksaw sawing around the indent at the top..then it just fell into two pieces!I did touch it up with a grinding wheel to get the burrs off the bottom portion,nothing needed on the top one.I will be grinding small circle or triangles to the top edge of the outer cup and drilling holes around the bottom perimeter for intake air.Use it for wood(drill/cut an infeed hole near the bottom).I think I'm going to try to leave the bottom on.No time right now to do the cutting,leaving town for a few days.I'll do it when I get back.
Cadyak..nice cup for your purposes!..but heavier stainless.This one hasn't been used at all,but I did wear a bit of the yellow paint off on the work bench while hacksawing it,making it look used. :roll:
I had an extra 1/2 hour tonight and spent 18 minutes taking the handle off marking off the perimeter of the cup top and bottom..tapping start indents for the bottom holes(and another set in between those)..two stage bit,drilled out the bottom holes to about 5/16"(lower stage about 3/16"),and ground the top 'crown on a grinding wheel,sand off the inside burrs at the top with belt sander(need to use a dremel on the bottom about another 5 minutes..total time will be about 40 minutes.
If I make it a woodstove with a feed hole,it'll take a while longer to drill out the side hole.Bottom is still in the cup.

Sorry..forgot the new picture... :roll:

One more thing..the welded-on stud for the handle is about 1/4" square,sticks out about 3/8"..easy to take the plastic one off and add an aluminum flat one on there that would rest in a bottom hole(or with a sheet metal screw) and bolted to that top stud welded on there..that's another 5 minutes of labor..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: new coffee press/stove idea..

Post by zelph » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16 pm

I didn't know they were dual purpose until I read one of the reviews:

Pros:
Compact, great for wringing out wet socks, just kidding, Tough
Cons:
a little heavy, but acceptable
Best Uses:
Backpacking, Car Camping
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 pm

I think I could justify the cost of a plane ticket out there just for the savings at thrift stores alone.
You find the best stuff :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Re: Got a new coffee press/cadyak stove idea..

Post by realityguy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:35 pm

It is tough to keep any money in your pocket when the thrift stores seem always L-o-a-d-e-d with good stuff.I resell most of the stuff I find(that isn't hiking stuff) so I do okay.I found an item for $13 that usually sells in a day or two on craigs for $70-80..so it was worthwhile to go.I got the mug and a special "pan lid" with holes in 1/2 of it(read that as Homemade dobro ukulele/guitar resonator..an experiment converting a small guitar) for an additional $5 for the two items..That's all I bought today.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:02 pm

sudden wrote:I think I could justify the cost of a plane ticket out there just for the savings at thrift stores alone.
You find the best stuff :)
My daughter recently moved to Seattle, good excuse to go there and do the thrift circuit :mrgreen:

RG has got the best of luck in thrifting :cheers:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:27 pm

Ain't luck..I just spend a lot of time doin' it.

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:56 pm

Ooo, I like that. Now you can make Good Coffee. Experts say the press makes the best. :D Cant wait to see it in action. I saw a MYOG press where a guy used an easton arrow shaft as the shaft for his press. It might be to large of a diam. though. :geek:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:40 pm

The three presses I have all use the same heads,shafts and screens so they'll be good for a lifetime.My only concern is that the plastic may melt down with the crowned sleeve holding the flames so close to the top end.I don't have a problem with a shorter windscreen as far as melting the plastic lid.With this one I might.I'll probably drill a couple holes for crossbars for each size to hold them up higher and away from the lid and for use as a woodstove.
We like using the presses..makes good easy coffee and a good hand warmer.We don't measure out the coffee..just eyeball it in the cup along with some powdered "flavored" or instant milk mix,let it seep for a few minutes,then press..With the lid it'll stay warm for quite awhile.
With this larger size..I can use half for noodles or something,and "press" the rest for coffee.
Even the smaller sized ones retailed about $27-30 also.If you find them,PICK THEM UP!!..easily recognizable by the press "lid".
The shorter one has a stepped-in base..smaller diameter ..and the base has a separate plastic container that pops off the bottom that'll hold your ground coffee/mix.That one is harder to split from the outer shell because it has a big glob of hot glue holding the two layers together.Heat it up and they'll come apart easy.This larger size has nothing holding the two layers together at the bottom.Once you cut it free at the top,it pops off there.There is a rubber pad on the bottom that is stuck on with some kind of glue that allows you to peel it off easily.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:23 pm

I got a coffee press, and, packing it seemed so unlikely I put it in the "bounce box".

Apparently, someone was lucky to get it.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:44 pm

ConnieD wrote:I got a coffee press, and, packing it seemed so unlikely I put it in the "bounce box".

Apparently, someone was lucky to get it.
You could have kept it in you truck for car camping or roadside rest area brews. Too late now. Hind sight is 20/20 they say. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !