speed or effeciency

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: speed or effeciency

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:16 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:One other thing to consider is fuel weight. If you are a gram wienie, you may be willing to wait an extra few minutes for a boil if you only need half as much fuel. Personally, time is not an issue as I am usually socializing while cooking anyway. If it takes seven or eight minutes to boil instead of 4 or 5 minutes, that is no big deal to me. I would rather carry less fuel to get the job done than have to pack the extra weight to save a few minutes cooking. Besides, I need the extra weight allowances for those luxury items! :lol:
Like a stainless Kelly Kettle "Trekker" No fuel to carry ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:38 pm

...A ring of local rocks and burn wood when you can..NO weight to carry.. ;) ..and.. you can't beat the price and ambiance! :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:42 pm

realityguy wrote:...A ring of local rocks and burn wood when you can..NO weight to carry.. ;) ..and.. you can't beat the price and ambiance! :lol:
Uggh!!!!! you be cave man :mrgreen:

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:43 pm

Stainless-Trekker-Small Kelly Kettle® 1.7 lbs.
10.6 " high by 5.5 " wide

I like more compact carry and more lightweight than that.

I wonder if my entire kitchen for backpacking is less than 1.7 lbs.?

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:16 pm

ConnieD wrote:Stainless-Trekker-Small Kelly Kettle® 1.7 lbs.
10.6 " high by 5.5 " wide

I like more compact carry and more lightweight than that.

I wonder if my entire kitchen for backpacking is less than 1.7 lbs.?
The kettle is a complete kitchen minus a spoon :D

It's a pot, a windscreen and stove. It's a safe and convient way to cary water from a stream/creek etc.

A small StarLyte burner can be used for alcohol when necessary.

The bottom of the kettle is 5" dia I think, not too bad as far as storable. Lots of pots are 5" diameter.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:15 pm

19 oz. is an ideal amount. It is tempting.

What do you use for a mug? Use that lid cover you made?

zelph, you know I like things that will pack flat.

I like my titanium cooking pot as it is shallow and tapered, it is as nearly flat as it can be.

Here it is without the windscreen, as shown in my avatar.

I would say, in addition to speed or efficiency, how it all packs up is important.

Maybe the cooking cozy could be the fitted stuff sack, for your "Trekker" Kelly Kettle?

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:52 pm

ConnieD wrote:19 oz. is an ideal amount. It is tempting.

What do you use for a mug? Use that lid cover you made?

zelph, you know I like things that will pack flat.

I like my titanium cooking pot as it is shallow and tapered, it is as nearly flat as it can be.

Here it is without the windscreen, as shown in my avatar.

I think I'll use the snowPeak600ml mug as my drinking container. It has been recently seasoned with the aroma of burning wood so it is ready for use with the Kettle. I'm going to make my own small version aluminum pot support for the top of the kettle. I'll be heating 4 cups of water in one sitting. 2 in the kettle and 2 in my mug that sits on top of the kettle.

I would say, in addition to speed or efficiency, how it all packs up is important.

Maybe the cooking cozy could be the fitted stuff sack, for your "Trekker" Kelly Kettle?
I'll be using my Snow Peak600ml mug for drinking. The Kettle will heat 2 cups and my mug will heat 2 cups at the same time. 2 cups for freezer bag and 2 cups for drinking.

The "Trekker" Kettle will change the way I look at my kitchen.

I don't use a cozy. Freezerbaggin for me works fine without a cozy. 160 degree food is still too hot for me. :)

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:56 pm

It sounds like a nice outfit, zelph.

I put my cooking pot in my hat, for insulation.

I always carry a spare warm hat, for sleeping.

Blue52

Post by Blue52 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:28 pm

Here's a thought to consider about performance. One I first didn't notice until I wanted to pack inexpensive wholesome foods for over nighting 2-3knights for one - two persons realized and actually preparing them on my stoves . You need both types of performance fast boil times and long simmers. Oats, Grits; white and yellow , rice; brown and white, small reds beans , soy beans... precooked still needing to be warmed up. All require less water to boil for one -2 person servings than prepackaged dehydrated meals. 2coups of water requires 1cup white rice about four servings of rice its a a lot rice. What I like with these type of foods you can get creative with spices and what ever you want to add for a truly personal meal, no sacrifice on generic flavored meals. Personel Favorite warm bed of white rice with Philippine Ligo spicy tomatoe chili sauce sardines layered on top, washed down with a couple shots of warm saki , hanging in a valley above 5,500 feet in 4 feet of snow.

I can do both, quick boil under two minutes for 8 oz of water outside 5,500 feet elevation 35 degree F ambient air temp and finish simmer for another 8-10 minutes on the same stove with one once of fuel or less depending on temp and conditions and food prep quality. The simmer is a true simmer with just a trickle of bubbles coming off bottom of iMUSA 1.2 q cock pot no burnt or over dry UNDER COOKED rice or grits as of yet.

Blue52

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:17 pm

Personel Favorite warm bed of white rice with Philippine Ligo spicy tomatoe chili sauce sardines layered on top, washed down with a couple shots of warm saki , hanging in a valley above 5,500 feet in 4 feet of snow.
:D sounds tasty!!!!!!!

4 feet of snow will work up a good apetite for sure!!!! double the portions :D

simmering is nice. The kelly kettle can do that with practice. Add twigs to keep a simmer after a boil is achieved.