Realityguy's 10 minute hole punch...

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
sudden

Re: Realityguy's 10 minute hole punch...

Postby sudden » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:58 am

Been watching all the discussions about dull bits and dull punches and problems with thin stainless.

Has anyone tried to use a grinding wheel or bit instead? Slots instead of holes? I haven't done much metal work but it seems like it would be easier.

I also read that stainless steel will harden if your drill bit is spinning too fast and that hardening will contribute to dull bits. How fast is your drill spinning?
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Too fast of speed has always been a downfall for me. Always in a hurry/lazy to change the speed on my drill press. :roll: Too much pressure is also a problem for me when I use carbide bits. Carbide is brittle and cracks/chips easy. I'm always in a costly hurry to see how a prototype will work :roll:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:39 pm

Someone posted about "nibblers"..one more time..probably a good way to go..I don't drill much stainless if I can cut otherwise.We used to have a Boeing Surplus store up here where you could get about anything(aluminum,titanium,or anything "aircraft" construction related) for drilling anything..and cheap..but they closed it down. :cry:
I don't like the drilling,takes too long and usually distorts the metal as you can see from the top holes drilled in the firemugs.You almost need a wood blank inside the cup to keep it from indenting if the shape of what you are drilling isn't flat.
Boeing used to carry some two or three-stage bits(2-3 different diameters in one bit) that worked well for drilling about anything..or at least better.It would start with like an 1/8" tip and progress to 1/4" after about 1/2".
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:56 pm

Boeing used to carry some two or three-stage bits(2-3 different diameters in one bit) that worked well for drilling about anything..or at least better.It would start with like an 1/8" tip and progress to 1/4" after about 1/2

Those are nice. It's the kind that I try to drill "fast" with and chip the lead bit. :roll:

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:26 pm

I often have the same problem with taking my time, especially if I know that it is just for home burning or a prototype.
Using my hand drill, The two factors that seem to make or break the cleanness of the hole are:

Sharp bit
letting the drill bit do the work and not putting to much pressure on the drill. (aka getting in a hurry)

The jig that I made up before my drill press died was actually made from laminated plywood lathe turned to the approximate shape of the cup. Now I use one of a couple sacrificial inner cups to support the metal from the inside.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:30 pm

If we ever slow down :mrgreen: we can have a can of WD-40 on hand to give a quick spray for some lube help. Spray the bit so it dribbles down as we drill.

cadyak

WD40

Postby cadyak » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:42 pm

I keep some at my side in a sierra cup and dip my bits in it between holes. Its quicker. You should see that stuff smoke. I dont know if cutting oil would work better, but I dont have any anyway so....

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:53 pm

We can get really fancy and use the correct stuff. :mrgreen:

http://www.lpslabs.com/technical_info/t ... 0Fluid.pdf

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:01 pm

For larger holes/cuts I have been working with machine shops and metal works throughout the mid-west. It can be hard to find shops willing to work with a little guy like me though. But it seems with the current economy it is getting easier every day. I am still trying to perfect my wood stove design for use with the Jack Stove Cook Set. It will be stainless steel but the thickness determines what methods will work.

My first prototype was made of 24ga 304 stainless and was cut with a CNC plasma cutter. The cuts were really rough and left bits of slag on the work surface. I was able to make a functional prototype for testing, but it wasn't anywhere near finish quality. 24ga is also a bit heavy. But plasma cutters are too hot for thinner stainless. Unless you have a perfect tip, perfect distance and perfect flow, with no sharp edges in your design, it won't make a clean cut.

Next was laser cutting. Definitely possible, but not cost effective in small batches and not very good for anything less than 24ga stainless.

Now it looks as if I will be using a water jet to cut out my patterns. I really had to shop around to find the right vendor to do this as a lot of shops will gouge you if there isn't anyone else around with this machinery. Finally found a good shop that is willing to work with a small business.

For smaller projects on my work bench, the best advice I can offer is take your time. Pilot holes, good drill bits and step/stepless drill bits. Otherwise you really need to look at milling or a Rotozip with an assortment of disks and rotary bits will be your best friend for custom cuts. But then you are at the mercy of how steady your hand is.

My metal working tool box has grown considerably since I started making stoves. Everything from 2 bench grinders with various wheels and brushes to files, rasps, emery tape, drill bits, punch sets, drill press, rotozip, torches, shears, crimpers, brakes, cutting disks, clamps, etc.
Seems I'm always looking for a better, faster, more efficient way to make a better mousetrap. And it always seems that every step in the production process has it's own problems. So far I would say that the drill press has been most worth while for me with the bench grinder coming in 2nd.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:13 pm

It sure would be nice to have all the tools necessary to make anything and everything. Making my Christmas list now :D

I just found out today that Harbor Freight does not carry hand punches any longer, at least her in my city in Northern IL. My son works for Roper whitney and will try to get me a dealership just for punches. I can offer them to stove makers round the nation. :D

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”