Dayhiker Firemug

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
realityguy

Re: Dayhiker Firemug

Postby realityguy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Can you use a dremel router and carbide bit?..probably burn that up also.. :roll: I haven't tried but am wondering if my drywall electrical punch would fit in the end far enough to punch it...That would give about 1-1/8" hole..or 4 punched together for a square one(with rounded corners) about 2".I might have to check that..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Thanks a Lot RR.
I have a lot to learn about metal working.
I do need to get rid of some of these things. They are taking over my man cave. :geek:

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:17 pm

RG,
I have an old dremel that I use for cleaning up the inside burrs. I have actually put the dremel router in my buggy twice at Home Depot and then pulled it out at the last minute for one reason or the other. I DO want me one of those.
I used to make the big hole by drilling 4 holes at the corners and joining them with tin snips to create a round cornered square, but it is hard to make them the same every time. They all work great, but I wanted them to be a little more professional looking. the round hole is definitely easier.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:35 pm

I think if I was doing a lot of them..make some kind of jig that fits down over a router bit in a table..move the mug left,right,up,and down..the same every time for the same hole every time with professional looking results.You'd have to drill a starter hole,then rout a pattern from there by moving the cup..or some kind of bit that runs on a bearing that follows the jig.
..OR BETTER YET:How about a second cup that fits over the first cup(being routed).The second cup could have some "bearing run" 1/4" thick spacers taped (or bolted,or screwed) around the hole on the outside.If your cups are all the same model,it should be really quick to make identical holes in the next cup by just dropping the jig over the cup..rout the hole,using a bearing bit with a 1/4" or 1/2" carbide cutter(once you make a starter hole).Leave the corners of the hole rounded for strength.I haven't tried routing the thin stainless,but it should work.Another bit option would be just a straight 1/4" carbide cutter(or a fluted mill type carbide one)..using the shaft on the spacers as a guide..Just don't chew up your jig spacers.
if that doesn't make sense..i can draw you a picture.. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:03 am

Why not, a drill press?

The support (jig) would be simple. Line up evenly spaced holes.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:24 am

I think that would be the way to go Connie.
I have a great old drill press and had fabricated a jig but the switch burned up on the very first use and I havent repaired it yet. That workshop out there needs some Major TLC.
I need to get off my derriere and work on it.
Thanks to everybody for the suggestions... :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:46 pm

I have two full drill presses but I don't think the slow speed approach is the way to go..Punching would be best in the thin stainless..As Dan said,one of the two piece greenlee ones would be the best way to go,where a solid section with a sharpened edge bolts into a pipe,drill a 1/4" hole through and then assemble the punch with the bolt through the hole Tightening the bolt pulls the pieces together and cuts the hole clean.
Somewhere "nibblers" were discussed(this thread?)..that would be a good idea also...even a hand one.Drilling the thin Stainless just leaves a lot of burrs and bends on the edges because it is so thin..You need a punch or better cutter than any kind of spinning bit other than with high speed carbide cutters.I'll have to hunt up my drywall punch and try that.I looked at my drywall metal stud punch but it only has a reach up about 1" from the bottom edge.
Here's another good idea that should work if someone wants to try it: Buy a short pipe nipple the inside diameter being the size hole you need(1-1/2 to 2").Then buy a hole saw(no mandrel needed) that fits snug to the inside walls of the pipe nipple.Take a steel bar across the outside back of the pipe with a bolt hole through it and a washer across the size of the back of the hole saw.Dril a "bolt-size hole(5/16"?) through the stainless cup at the center of where you want your larger hole...and assemble the pipe outside and the holesaw inside..assembled with bolt and nut,creating your own "greenlee type punch by tightening the bolt and cutting out the hole between the two pieces.If it doesn't cut clean,then grind the teeth off the hole saw's edge and leaving just an outside bevel cutting edge.As long as you have tight tolerances between the pipe and the "cutter" it should cut clean.

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:06 pm

The problem with a knockout punch is that they are usually designed to cut holes in a flat surface, instead of the curved shape under discussion. If a "standard" punch were tried, it would first flatten the cup side before actually beginning to cut. Then you'll have to reshape the cup. Harbor Freight also has diamond drills, and hole saws that might serve double duty as hole saw and enlarging grinder. the fast speed on the drill press would probably drive one acceptably.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-16-inch- ... 32399.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-i ... 32400.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-la ... 32397.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-di ... 32375.html
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:00 pm

I've had great results using those diamond hole saw bits on block glass. My wife requested I drill a 1/2" hole in the block for xmas lights to be feed through. She gave a dozen away for christmas gifts and the bit worked great for all of them. Harbor Freight may not be the best quality but for the price, you can't go wrong for just tinkering around. ;) JMHO
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:25 pm

zelph made that hole, he illustrated, in that salt shaker. I was impressed with the lack of deformation.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”