Dayhiker Firemug

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
cadyak

Dayhiker Firemug

Postby cadyak » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:37 pm

I have been fiddling with this setup for a little while. It works great for a single good sized cuppa or can be used in woodmode to boil up much larger quantities of water with a bigger pot. I have been drinking my coffee out of one everyday for a few weeks.
It consists of a sturdy but very light 1.5cup stainless inner cup (1.1oz) which nests tightly in the woodstove component (16floz, wt. 2oz)
The lips of the stove and cup are flush and tight enough that the assembly makes a great double walled coffee cup as is. When assembled for drinking or travel, a Starlyte stove fits nicely in the base under the cup. The potstand for the woodstove fits perfectly over the indented base of the cup and therefore is hidden until needed. (forgot to take a picture of this or the stove setup for woodburning. Its not much differentthough in wood mode than all of my other stoves)

When its time to brew up, pop the plastic bottom cap off to remove the starlyte. Push the cup out from the bottom. Then invert the woodstove and slide the cup inside the woodstoves base (now facing up). Place the whole assembly over the Starlyte for heating. It will boil fine in this configuration, but it works even better if the stove is raised a bit. I have been using the Starlytes potstand upside down to hold it.
It is not the most efficient pot because of its narrow base, but in this configuration it is almost impervious to wind and will boil the 1.5 cups in about 5 mins. with 1/2oz of HEET. The inner cup reinforces the thin grade outer stove when assembled. Together they make a pretty bombproof kit

you can see the Starlyte setup inside the base.

I made a temporary lid out of an ashtray. The setup has the exact same diameter as a trappers mug. Ti-goat has some new carbon fiber lids that are supposed to fit these.
I might try one out. It makes a big difference with the lid on.

the woodstove portion of the kit is a fully capable Firemug that will boil lots of water with a little bit o wood. :geek:

zelph

Re: Dayhiker Firemug

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:59 pm

Man!!!! those mugs are really the cats meow for modification into a very usable system. You have really taken these mugs into a fascinating realm. I see many of them in the thrift stores during the summer months.

Nice flip flop on the pot support of the StarLyte.

Do you have a photo of the mug before disassembly?

I would like to burn some wood in one to see how it does. :D I suspect it would perform well. I guess I need to burn some wood tomorrow to get it out of my system :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

simplepeddler

Postby simplepeddler » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:22 am

pretty neat stuff right there........

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:16 am

Nice setup. I need to keep my eyes open for the materials.

Just one question. Are you planning a heist? What are those blueprints for? :shock:
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:27 am

We are renovating a 30 yr old grocery store into the main Police Station in the onion capital of the world. I am responsible for the electrical and the plumbing design. Unfortunately they want it next week and I am at home with a sick little girl. Hey, maybe Ill go boil something while Im sitting here...

both the inner and outer cups are press fitted into a heavy plastic top which I remove and discard into my "giant vat of useless plastic mug components" There arent that many mugs that have a stainless inner that is a separate piece from the outer. Thats what you would be looking for. Most of them have a single piece of metal that is formed to make two walls.

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks for the description of the mug cadyak. I haven't seen any like it yet. Take care of the little one and good luck with the project. Boiling water over a wood fire is a great stress reducer.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:00 pm

I suspect a Greenlee Knockout punch would work on creating that large hole. What's your opinion being you're electrical minded :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Yep those work nicely.
With a knockout bit you can get an extra 1/8" in diameter compared to the standard fat step bit. Unfortunately, the step bits are about 40.00 a piece, the knockout bits are near 50.00 and after about 2 or 3 stainless cups they are dull enough to deform the metal when you drill. Stainless is TOUGH. I use a punch to mark the hole and a split tip bit to drill the pilot hole, then the step bit to enlarge.
The split tips bits go real quick too. I have found that the really cobalt fancy bits dont last any longer than the cheaper ones.
I am actually running to Home DEpot sometime today and will probably spend 60-75$ on bits. everything I have now is no good from a single day of stovemaking...
Some of the thinnest ones are the hardest.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:28 pm

There is no way to sharpen those bits?

For that much money, I would find out.

The first thing we were taught in college "General Metals" in "Industrial Technology" was how to make and how to sharpen the lathe bits we would learn how to use properly.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:53 pm

I searched and found some info on sharpening them. Thanks for the idea Connie. Ill give it a shot. Now I need some new files.... :D

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”