a hypothetical question.............................

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
realityguy

Re: a hypothetical question.............................

Postby realityguy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:01 pm

I had a simple idea of cutting large format film(larger film to smaller formats..length and width without turning on lights) in the dark where light would ruin the film.It was a simple idea and if shown in a picture,easy to copy for anyone that had the tools.I sold some of them on ebay and the people that did buy them($35-50..depending on the film you needed to cut..usa inch standards or european metrics or both)were very grateful and happy with their purchase.It was harder to sell because I couldn't show a picture of the item.On ebay,that's tough,but I did sell them all because of the desire for the item and no one else had anything like it for sale anywhere.
Fortunately the people never did copy it and sell it on ebay..so I could still make and sell more there.
I did put in extra time and materials by making them of exotic wood and brass verses cheap junk,so that might have been a part of the "keep it a secret" factor.Another reason was that most of the film a person needed to buy was one larger size and sharing that secret would create more competition against the new owners of the cutter for the film in that size.Tell the secret and it'll cost you more for what you need to use it on! :lol:
The selling idea behind it was that you could buy one size of film and have that type for all your large format cameras verses having to buy a box for EACH size camera you needed,especially to collectors that had several sizes.(yes,I went through that and still have film filling a small undercounter freezer..with about 6 boxes/types also of the one larger size,that could have supplied most of my film needs in a 10x12 space 4" high for 20-30 large format cameras!
Anyway..if you can figure out how to hype an item without showing a picture of it..then have everybody that buys one not make a copy and keep it a secret. :roll: .I think you get the picture! :lol: Good luck with that idea... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:13 pm

One suggestion, is to make a large inventory, sell it, saturating the niche-market, before anyone else can get in. The risk is, you have made a large inventory before you got a return on your investment of time and money.

As for marketing?

I recommend Google AdWords.

Position the ad mid-page on each relevant search term, everywhere in english or more languages, if you choose, or North America or continental US (depending on where you are willing to pay shipping). Research relevant search terms, by using the search engine.

For example, I got Google AdWords midpage on all the relevant search terms I selected for one month at 15-cents a mouseclick at a maximum $50 a month, to advertise my website information. That is a lot of marketing for the price.

I also posted in all relevant forums, using a signature with my website address. Do that, often. Be sure to have posts that are interesting enough so that people are interested in having a look at your website. Spam is spam, and most forums will ban spammers.

My website domain name, and host, are the least expensive full service and no-advertising on your website I found: Purple Cloud host, located actually in Auckland.

I maintain my website myself, using Filezilla and Edit Pad Pro. I did use Notepad.

An online friend told me he supports himself and his mom in an English manor house, in UK, with five small websites. He showed me one of his websites: he sells one kitchen product worldwide. He hires kids at farmer's market day, once a month, to package and prepare the packages for shipping.

Look at View > Page Source in your browser, at a website page you like. If it isn't CSS, you can copy the code, make the changes with your words and your pictures (change type and change picture size, if you like) viewing it offline in your browser until it looks good to you. Then, with a minimum of "support" from your web host, for example: the photos go in "picture_library" and index.htm not index.html, you are up and running. There are tutorials, for example, how to set up Filezilla to communicate with the host. Then, you can maintain and update your website yourself, for example, links need to be updated and/or you want to add photos and text.

I recommend a domain name and a website because you are more legitimate. Your real contact information is registered, if annonymously, thru the host. You can get a certificate for a merchant account, for Paypal or for credit card services. The best credit card services I found is $99 a year.

I would like to have a business.

That is why I have looked into the matter so thoroughly.

There are other types on online business, however you asked about selling a product.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:19 pm

I believe in the honor system.
Once an idea is posted somewhere like BPL, everyone who is a member knows whose idea it was. If a person were to knowingly copy someones idea or product for profit without acknowledgement or compensation they would be "virtually" tarred and feathered by the stovie community. :x

Not that this is much of a deterrent, but reputation means a lot to some folks. :geek:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Not that this is much of a deterrent, but reputation means a lot to some folks. :geek:

Unfortunately that "some" factor doesn't go as far as it should.. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”