Perlyte Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
benjybob

Perlyte Stove

Postby benjybob » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:43 pm

Hey,

This is a little photo sequence and description of how I make Starlyte variant that uses Perlite as the absorbing medium, hence the rather uninspired name choice of the perlyte stove.

As with the starlyte, it uses a wedding favour tin:

The ones I found had glass in the window. I tried to remove this sensibly by pushing it, heating it to see if it glued but it didn't budge. My rather brute force solution is to cover with something suitable and deliver a blow with blunt instrument to smash the glass and remove. Does anyone have a better suggestion for removal?

So, next I draw round the base to get a paper template to mark out the SS screen and fibreglass cloth:

SS mesh is from a frying pan cover to stop oil spitting. May have a technical name, but I can get them for about 80p and its about 25cm diameter circle of SS mesh once the frame is discarded:

and the same for the fibreglass cloth:

Both the SS screen and fibreglass cloth will be a little bigger than circumference of the tin, but this is ok as it makes sure everything overlaps and stays in place. I cut out all the pieces and so far I have:

I fit the SS screen into the lid, and use any suitable implement to push the excess material down around the lip in the lid. This helps hold the SS screen in place:

Next task is to fill the tin with perlite. In order to get enough perlite inside to completely fill the tin, I made a paper template a little higher than a height of wedding favour tin:

With that in place I can fill past the top of the base with perlite:

and slide the lid in. This allows the tin to completely filled to maximise the amount of absorbing material.

The paper is removed, and lid pushed down to compress the perlite to ensure the lid and base and tightly fitted together. The tins I have don't seem very secure so I added some aluminium tape to hold it together. I used this tape on other stoves and seems to handle the heat well, although I need some more filed testing:

The final stove with my 2" homebrew pot stand made out of wire coat hanger:

Some initial test boils under ideal conditions (average of 3) using 15ml of methylates spirits and 2 cups of water:

First audible sounds of boiling: 6:05
Rolling Boil with steam lifting pot lid: 8:20
Flame out: 12:20

Having said that, approximately the last minute is a very patchy flame, flickering and not much use. The amount of useful burn time is more like just over 11 minutes.

Credit to Zelph for the original Starlyte design. Hope someone finds this useful.

Ben

zelph

Re: Perlyte Stove

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Thank you Ben for the easy to follow instructions. Even a "caveman" could follow them (local tv humor) :D

Some initial test boils under ideal conditions (average of 3) using 15ml of methylates spirits and 2 cups of water:

First audible sounds of boiling: 6:05
Rolling Boil with steam lifting pot lid: 8:20
Flame out: 12:20

The sweet sight and sounds of success :D Those results are wanted by all stove builders/designers. 15ml of fuel usage is what we set our sights on.

Perlite seems to work very well. Thanks for trying it and making it work ;) I'm sure many will try it and make their own Perlyte stove.

Thanks Ben!!!! Time to boil some water :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:31 am

Nice stove! That ought to soak up some fuel. :D

I used that same kind of tape when wrapping the edges of fiberglass cloth around Heineken pots. After several burns the adhesive starts to drip out from under the tape. It never came loose but it was a sticky mess. However I did have good results with F4 silicone tape, (also known as rescue tape). It doesn't have any adhesive and only sticks to itself after you stretch it. I think it is a little pricey to be used for production but you can get 1 roll for personal use pretty reasonably. Amazing stuff. Lots of uses. This kind seems to have the highest heat resistance: http://www.amazon.com/F4-Tape-Self-fusing-Silicone-Oxide/dp/B001HETINI The red/orange version of this supposedly is a little more heat resistant than the black.
There are cheaper versions of the "As Seen on TV" brands but they take a full 24 hours to cure this stuff is fully cured in about a minute.

I was just looking at some plumbers mats made with Perlite and backed with what appears to be a wide sheet of that same kind of tape. It is about 1/2" thick and could be easily cut round with a pair of scissors. Found it in the plumbing department of Menards right next to the Pyron flame protector/heat shield. Not sure what hardware stores you have but next time I'm there I'll snap a picture. It was about $5 cheaper than the Pyron for the same sized sheet.

I have been doing burn tests with the Pyron, I would not recommend it. Sometimes it gets hot and smolders a bit and the fumes are awful. The smell gets into everything.

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Nice instructions. I like the stove.

Was looking at the photos and noticed the can you had the pearlite in. Made me wonder if you could make one up with that can. It has a screw on top, just needs a cutout for the screen :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:43 pm

That container looks like the one Skidsteer introduced recently.....got2Be stove , something like that :?

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:40 am

zelph wrote:That container looks like the one Skidsteer introduced recently.....got2Be stove , something like that :?

I need to pay more attention :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

stevebo

Postby stevebo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:59 pm

Jolly Rogers, the tape you are talking about (f4 tape) is great stuff-------------I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, and we use version of that tape to wrap wire bundles on jet engines to protect them from chaffing , heat etc. (and lots of other uses). If it can handle the heat of a jet engine inside its cowl, (and it can) it can handle the heat of an alcohol stove! :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks guys for the info on the special tape. I'll have to get some and play with it on some stove projects. Very helpful to a lot folks out there also.

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:29 am

Yeah good stuff. You can use it under water, if you wrap it far enough to either side it will repair a radiator hose, fuel lines, etc. chemical resistant, silicone based, and cuts off easily without any residue.

I initially looked into it for wrapping pots, but that is too much tape. For just holding a small can together it might be worth while. The only issue being if that silicone ever came off you now have nothing to hold stuff together.

But once it is stretched and wrapped onto itself it becomes 1 solid piece of silicone. There is no unwrapping it like tape.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:26 am

But once it is stretched and wrapped onto itself it becomes 1 solid piece of silicone. There is no unwrapping it like tape.

That makes it more interesting and I'm wanting some with eagerness. :D

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”