SuperCat Afterburner

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: SuperCat Afterburner

Post by zelph » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:27 pm

That's a fast boil, whooo. Is that a 1 quart pot?

Wait for 3 poofs and the pot goes on?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Blue52

Post by Blue52 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Its the 1.2 q imusa 4 1/2 '' diameter pot.

Right , the poofs just makes me feel like I'm doing something to help it along :)

Here's the simmer vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4XvAJH2GOA

The mesh is acting like a wick , towards the end of the burn it will fizzle out and then restart and burn for another 45sec somtimes. Knowing this because one time it went out figured done with burn fuel spent . Went to switch burners for a different test and drops spilled out.

Blue52

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:26 pm

The mesh is acting like a wick , towards the end of the burn it will fizzle out and then restart and burn for another 45sec somtimes. Knowing this because one time it went out figured done with burn fuel spent . Went to switch burners for a different test and drops spilled out.
Even a solid sheet of metal against the wall of ther stove will draw fuel upward. The ole cappilary action there. :D

Are you going to put a handle on the simmer ring and use it to adjust the ring after the water comes to a boil?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Can you choke the flame down anymore, Blues52? Your simmer mode is like many stoves regular burn rate. If I were dry baking, I would be worried of my muffin being burnt on the outside before the inside was done. Perhaps if your simmer sleeve came up close to the pot, the flame would choke down to a real simmer. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:23 pm

I've found for me that an ideal simmer heat for baking allows a fine single string of bubbles coming off the bottom of the pot under water.It's just enough heat to bake the item but not too much to burn the crap out of it into a lump of charcoal.Wicked stoves at about 1" to 1-1/4" diameter with a pot about 1-1/2" above the stove..and plenty of air seem to be about right to keep the fuel from vaporizing ballistic and maintaining a nice even steady burn...But that's just the way I like it... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Blue52

Post by Blue52 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:29 pm

zelph wrote:Even a solid sheet of metal against the wall of ther stove will draw fuel upward. The ole cappilary action there. :D
Are you going to put a handle on the simmer ring and use it to adjust the ring after the water comes to a boil?
I was wondering that my self. But without any ports would the burner stay lite with the solid metal against the wall with out any further modification to burner!?

Modifying the simmer ring taller and adding a handle to adjust for real simmer and control the the flame after boil could be a possible solutions for sure. Making it a real all in one burner.

Blue52

Blue52

Post by Blue52 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:44 pm

Apollo and sunflower burner, Genie in a bottle collaboration . Possibilities in combination seem endless. But the simplicity of the sunflower has got my attention. Straight vertical cuts and a few bends with your fingers. Wa'lla a very capable burner with a pot stand all in one. Apollo is a little more intricate design, still based off of vertical cuts but with more bends. Pot holder could be incorporated as well from the same can I accidentally cut the tabs off. Both larger designs will boil 2 cups of water with 3/4 oz of fuel under 6min. Being large both have the ability to hold more than enough fuel to boil lots of water at a single time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLVHE5BaOAc

Blue52

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:12 pm

The sunflower is simple yet effective as a stove.
Possibilities in combination seem endless
Seems to be no end to your ideas and that is "good" keep the ideas flowing. :D

Blue52

Post by Blue52 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Genie test failure at 3,000 feet . Aluminum is to flimsy for this design. It caved in on one side ending test. But was able to do a snow melt test before the collapse of the boil test. Half filled 1.2 q Imusa yield a warm 8oz. of water using 3/4 oz of fuel.
Brought hyper cat short burner but ran out of fuel only brought about 4 oz in an already opened heet bottle. Family snow day not stove test day. 2 cups water right out of the stream was super cold and with the 15nl of fuel left , How I ironic it brought the water to a warm body temperature possibly!
snow patch.jpg
snow cover.jpg
genie.jpg
genie 1.jpg
hypercat and genie.jpg
snow melt test.jpg
Blue52

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:06 pm

Field tests are hard on stoves :D

Bench testing is good only to a point and then comes the field testing.