SuperCat Afterburner

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Blue52

Re: SuperCat Afterburner

Post by Blue52 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:54 pm

zelph wrote:WaRp dRiVe

Perfect name for the burner :D That unit sure puts out the btu's and get the boil well under 4 min...........wow oh wow!!!
The high btu output Is in the way the burner, burns. I call it induction the burner inducts air into itself producing the inner flame pattern the outer stove design enhances this to create high intensity output." Burner by itself doesn't create the same intensity at all". To much back pressure from incorrect stove design with to much or to little "air volume" effects performance greatly as you probably already know! Simplified, burner height, stove height, pot height. You can hear when the burner is burning right! Its one steady loader hiss all the way to EBT. The priming of outside can with 2.5 to 5ml helps burner to get it to temperature faster.

Watch burner when lit look at flame parttern once primed . Look inside stove through holes, no flame in stove, just out the top coming from with in burner not outside of burner. The first and , last stove design sits flush right on top of burner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAuT4thd4x0

The other two stove variants for WaRpDrIvE burner were weak in air flow and once proper air flow was achieved on variant II the burner itself was not burning properly to much back pressure. On the variant I, in the diagram above marked variant, to little air volume. I cut out the excessive material in breather can top to form width of holes to center, fingers now hold burner securely with large vents surrounding. Made a shorter WaRp DrIvE burner to fit the overall shorter stove and it works great . I'll get some video soon, batteries in camera went dead last knight.

The top screen is held in by itself, going all the way down to inner ridge of the can it sits in. The aluminum ring with the machined small holes works well too, with correct pot height. Go higher and it will melt it like butter on a hot ear of corn, you can go higher with the right material but you lose some efficiency in burner and wind protection higher flame bbeing exposed to wind.

Blue52
Having some trouble with logging in....

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:16 pm

The chimney effect comes into play and also the smaller inside diameter narrows down the passage way and increases velocity. Thus, we hear our WaRp dRiVe in motion :D with the amount of fuel used you should be able to boil 6 cups with out a problem. Do you have a 6 cup aluminum pot you can try?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Blue52

Post by Blue52 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:33 pm

zelph wrote:The chimney effect comes into play and also the smaller inside diameter narrows down the passage way and increases velocity. Thus, we hear our WaRp dRiVe in motion :D with the amount of fuel used you should be able to boil 6 cups with out a problem. Do you have a 6 cup aluminum pot you can try?
What I was thinking it was the height of burner, along with the port size, shape , length and how many, in the right combination is allowing the fuel to become super heated to a stable state," not overheated bubbling boil ", "which I have done and heard in my macro WaRpDrIvE burner flame fades untill it kools a little then begins again very slight change you have to look and listen for it to notice it". burning all the vapor in an exponential fashion for an intense burn. No climax or tapering off just one ever increasing burn to the end. The sound I'm hearing is the buzz of fuel vaporizing :) Theres a sweet spot when all falls into place.

BTU'S not really sure of the output. It would seem that more water 6 cups instead of 2 would take longer to boil. If I'm getting bt's of 3:30 and ebt's 1 min. past or there abouts . The extra 1minute might not do it. But on the other hand if my stove is putting out High btu's it shouldn't matter right. Or I'm I bending physics!?

I think , I picked up on you asking me does the burner work without the outer stove question. I answered yes but not as intense as with the stove. Got me thinking, make a caldera sorta windscreen to support the pot by it lip at the right height over the WaRpDrIvE burner. Removing stove components completely. If the burner will pressurize correctly and maintain the correct temperature. This would be a super simple light weight package with a big punch.

Back to building,

Blue52

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:05 pm

Your video shows a massive amount of flame extending to the rim of the pot/mug. Thats a lot of energy up into the air and not being used for the water. Fast but inefficient boils???? What is your opinion. I would speculate you can do the 6 cups with the same amount of fuel by using the proper size aluminum pot.

Blue52

Post by Blue52 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:43 pm

New windscreen heat exchanger for AfterBurner using a shorter WaRpDrIvE burner meant for a different stove, with new breather can as mentioned. Breather can modified to allow more air to get positive induction from burner and holding buner securely centered .

40ml - 35ml in burner 2.5 -5ml outside burner to prime roughly. Using new IMUSA 1.2 Q, 4 1/2'' diameter pot . 2 cups water roaring rolling boil under 4min easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcdB-0eMRfI

Note the cone in back round I mocked up. Using same short WarPdRiVe burner by itself inside cone , boils 2 cups of water at about 6:30min and EBT's to 11:30 min on 30ml. I 'll up load the video later. Totally different burn characteristics from the same burner.

Enjoy
Blue52

Blue52

Post by Blue52 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:03 pm

zelph wrote:Your video shows a massive amount of flame extending to the rim of the pot/mug. Thats a lot of energy up into the air and not being used for the water. Fast but inefficient boils???? What is your opinion. I would speculate you can do the 6 cups with the same amount of fuel by using the proper size aluminum pot.

Just the evolution in design goals show excessive flame. End unit SC AfterBurner flame holds tight to bottom of can. WaRpDrIvE with aluminum machined holes on top instead of stainless steel screen doesn't capture the flame as much but still not excessive I think. The screen really acts more like a heat exchanger capturing the flame it also tunes back the stove a bit with the finer openings than the aluminum ring with holes. I took you suggestion tried 6 cups in a regular kitchen pot 5:45min brought it to 150 degrees F. 4cups in same heavy duty kitchen pot 6'' diameter 5:30 200 degrees F. Not Bad Now I have to find a cheap 6'' aluminum pot. Thats just with the aluminum ring with holes haven't tried with the screen top. I just made a new cone stove with a top diameter for the new 1.2 IMUSA pot which seems to work really well not super fast boil time but great duration from 30 ml around 6min to boil and 12min EBTS using short WarPdRiVe burner by itself inside cone stove.

Blue52

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Aluminum pots work best for me.

Back in 2007 I played with the stainless mesh to help with fuel combustion. Here are some photos of it.

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Blue52

Post by Blue52 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:50 am

Thats a kool little stove, I wonder if adding a second can like the bottom can but with a smaller diameter hole at top. Push screen up though top can hole with sceen sticking out about 1/2 '' to start, add some strategical place holes to top can. Would it burn hotter, faster and more intense? Gap between exposed flame and pot will be closer. Screen as the pot stand will act like a heat exchanger, some what. A couple of small stainless steel rivets could be place inside top can to hold screen in place on the tall can. Wonder what would happen adding the second can with holes and the screen pot stand, would flame stay inside top can inducting oxygen through holes or would flame just bellow out side holes?

Here's the conical stove.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oghiyaYTnag

and hyper cat the stand alone double burner it melts most any stove I put it in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQUGWheHUE8

Blue52

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:36 am

and hyper cat the stand alone double burner it melts most any stove I put it in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQUGWheHUE8
Looks like it could melt everything in a 1 foot radius :mrgreen:
Thats a kool little stove, I wonder if adding a second can like the bottom can but with a smaller diameter hole at top. Push screen up though top can hole with sceen sticking out about 1/2 '' to start, add some strategical place holes to top can. Would it burn hotter, faster and more intense? Gap between exposed flame and pot will be closer. Screen as the pot stand will act like a heat exchanger, some what. A couple of small stainless steel rivets could be place inside top can to hold screen in place on the tall can. Wonder what would happen adding the second can with holes and the screen pot stand, would flame stay inside top can inducting oxygen through holes or would flame just bellow out side holes?
Those things are fuel for your next stove to build :D

Blue52

Post by Blue52 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Yeah sure when I get the time and the ideas out of my head. I did a CrAzY boil time last knight using a Super Cat. All i did was add the stainless steel mesh to the inside of the SC can. Screen bottomed out in can leaves about 1/4- 3/8 '' of screen above lip of can. 30ml EBT 4-min boiled 2 cups of water in 2:45 using 4 1/2'' diameter 1.2 qt imusa aluminum pot.

Blue52