SuperCat Afterburner

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Blue52

SuperCat Afterburner

Postby Blue52 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Still evolving stove design I came up with after experimenting with the super cat design. Tinkering with the ports on the super cat design I then graduated adding a a windscreen and heat transfer screen and all in one. Still needs an additional windscreen when windy though as of design right now. So far I have three aluminum large cat food cans, one sausage can and a stainless steel screen. I can remove center can to achieve a less intense flame and gain longer burn time up to 12min on 30ml of meth/ heet yelllow, boiling 2 cups of water at 6:30 -7:30min. Or add the center can back and gain a more intense flame for fast boil times 4-5 min consistently on 30ml of meth for a total burn time of 7:30. Just started testing with Everclear 151 proof Getting good results. Testing head to head with an msr pocket rocket. I'm at sea level testing ambient night time air and water temps below 50 degrees with very little wind. Everclear boil times from 5-6min and pocket rocket 6-6:30 after three head to head tests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYsBNr33TEQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HfMrNwrlmk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvIOYVCg ... re=related

Blue52

ridebks

Re: SuperCat Afterburner

Postby ridebks » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:11 pm

Very nice! The supercat stove took my thought process to whole new level. Look forward to seeing future work!

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:16 pm

It's very interesting to see the results of adding and subtracting different factors. Distance from flame to pot, air entering the base of the pot support and the mesh size of the red hot afterburner portion and also the type of fuel. Developing a stove takes lots of time. Sometimes we luck out and get it right in one days time. I once made a supercat stove with one elongated jet slot on one side of the can. It worked, meaning it stayed lit with a pot on top of it. :) Worked great as simmer stove. Made one with four large holes placed every quarter turn, made it a good simmer stove. Made one with 2 rows of holes and when one row was blocked of it simmered. Lots of possibilities with the fancy feast catfood cans. Anyone have a box full of cans they can send me :mrgreen:

I have not viewed all three of your vids yet but will do later. Thanks for sharing them.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Anyone have a box full of cans they can send me :mrgreen:

I've been chucking 1-2 a day.I figure for what it costs to ship them you can feed your cat royally...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Anyone have a box full of cans they can send me

Our cat eats the dry food! :P Fatten your cat up with the canned food ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

russb

Postby russb » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:04 am

Dry food for our cats too. Although every once in a while I buy them a treat so they can have the empty can. Umm, I mean so *I* get the empty can. Ok maybe I am buying me a treat, but they seem happy about it too.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:18 am

I only buy the canned food when I need to make stoves. 2 dozen at a time, empty them into snack size ziploks and then freeze them. I use them for when the cat needs a treat, other wise it's dry food. She gets her share of mice meat when I take her into the green house for a few hours. Moles just get left to go the way of the earth. :roll: Finicky cat!!!! :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:17 pm

Moles just get left to go the way of the earth. Finicky cat!!!!

Sounds like you should be in the market for another cat. :lol: One that catches and eats moles with the more important benefit of doubling your cat tin purchases. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:44 pm

The wife would rather I not make "catfood-can" stoves any more..can't figure out why..?????

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:57 pm

:D :D :D

Diet Cat food cans will probably work ok

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”